D&D 5E Darkness spell and magic light

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Jeremy Crawford has been discussing the darkness spell on twitter. The basic question is, what kind of magical light can penetrate an area of darkness? The RAW answer would seem to be, any kind of magic light except that from a spell of 2nd level or lower.

So for instance any magic item that emitted light would work... drift globe, light from a magic sword, paladin sacred weapon ability, etc.

Just curious, how many people play it that way, as opposed to restricting the ability to penetrate darkness to the more powerful magical effects?

I probably would not have been inclined to let the minor property of a magic item work for this, but maybe I'll change my mind.

For reference:
Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot radius Sphere for the Duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with Darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.
If any of this spell's area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.

Croesus

Adventurer
In the past, I've ruled darkness blocks light from other sources, unless they are very powerful, e.g., a sun blade. However, that requires me to remember what I ruled on each item and unnecessarily limits the use of some of these otherwise mundane items. Allowing them to work in darkness makes a driftglobe and such more useful, and simplifies things.

So I like this ruling and will use it in my game.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Huh, by the Darkness spell as you quoted, it's clear that ALL magical light pierces the spell. Even the light created by a low level spell - it's just that those low level spells are dispelled. Stop working entirely even outside the darkness's area of effect.

I didn't notice that until now.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
As much as I try to follow RAW, this was a weird case where 3 years in, we have been doing it not RAW. Considering how disruptive the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo has been, I'm surprised it hadn't come up on the boards.

Li Shenron

Legend
In the past, I've ruled darkness blocks light from other sources, unless they are very powerful, e.g., a sun blade. However, that requires me to remember what I ruled on each item and unnecessarily limits the use of some of these otherwise mundane items. Allowing them to work in darkness makes a driftglobe and such more useful.

So I like this ruling and will use it in my game.

I think this is a good ruling, but because I generally treat each magic item except potions and scrolls as unique , I wouldn't even worry about remembering how I previously ruled about a similar item.

Li Shenron

Legend
Jeremy Crawford has been discussing the darkness spell on twitter. The basic question is, what kind of magical light can penetrate an area of darkness? The RAW answer would seem to be, any kind of magic light except that from a spell of 2nd level or lower.

So for instance any magic item that emitted light would work... drift globe, light from a magic sword, paladin sacred weapon ability, etc.

Just curious, how many people play it that way, as opposed to restricting the ability to penetrate darkness to the more powerful magical effects?

I probably would not have been inclined to let the minor property of a magic item work for this, but maybe I'll change my mind.

As a rule of thumb for non-spell special abilities, I would look at what class level they are granted (using the full spellcasters table), and treat them as equivalent to the spell level granted at that time.

So for instance sacred weapon is gained at level 3 so I would equate it to a 2nd-level spell.

Pickaxe

Explorer
I have a question about how darkness affects visibility of lit things within and without. Say you are in a large sunlit space with darkness cast in the middle. Can someone on one side of the darkness (or, for that matter, in the darkness) see something in the light on the other side of the darkness (or see a small magical light within the darkness)? Or is the darkness opaque, like a fog cloud, and therefore blocks line of sight, even to areas that are lit?

Sent from my iPad using EN World

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I have a question about how darkness affects visibility of lit things within and without. Say you are in a large sunlit space with darkness cast in the middle. Can someone on one side of the darkness (or, for that matter, in the darkness) see something in the light on the other side of the darkness (or see a small magical light within the darkness)? Or is the darkness opaque, like a fog cloud, and therefore blocks line of sight, even to areas that are lit?
I think that most people play that magical darkness obscures its area. Otherwise its hard to visualize why it would be dark.

cooperjer

Explorer
I let magic items light up darkness regardless of magic item rarity. This irritates my warlock player a decent amount, but I feel like he's come to understand Darkness is not that powerful of a spell. We did add a house rule that indicates a Daylight spell cast at a higher level than 3rd would be needed to dispel a Darkness cast at a higher level than 2nd, i.e. a 5th level slot used for Darkness requires a 6th level slot for Daylight to dispel it. If I fever get around to running a game in Borovia, I'll have the Darkness more dominate than light, and I will house rule that magic item light does not illuminate the dark area.

Remove ads