D&D 5E Darksun 3.0

neogod22

Explorer
Darkvision can come in handy but I think that for a race it doesn't add much to their individual power level. Do they even have darkvision? I'm looking in the original set booklet and can't spot infravision, could have been errata that I don't know about though.
In 3.5 they had low light, so I guess they have it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Zardnaar

Legend
Darkvision can come in handy but I think that for a race it doesn't add much to their individual power level. Do they even have darkvision? I'm looking in the original set booklet and can't spot infravision, could have been errata that I don't know about though.

No I had a brain fart, I was after a minor ability.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Bumping all character stats is a silly thing to do: it's just going to make the game more difficult for a DM to balance than the base game. Unless you've got darksun and non-darksun characters in the same campaign, it makes no difference apart from that and making multiclassing easier.

As for feats? They're far better for martial characters than casters. So what if you can get easier concentration checks? The fighters can pick up resilient and get much better wisdom saves, get more attacks, get more movement etc etc. It's the martial characters that get extra ASIs.

neogod22

Explorer
Bumping all character stats is a silly thing to do: it's just going to make the game more difficult for a DM to balance than the base game. Unless you've got darksun and non-darksun characters in the same campaign, it makes no difference apart from that and making multiclassing easier.

As for feats? They're far better for martial characters than casters. So what if you can get easier concentration checks? The fighters can pick up resilient and get much better wisdom saves, get more attacks, get more movement etc etc. It's the martial characters that get extra ASIs.
It's not silly, it's more akin to a placebo effect. It doesn't really change much besides giving the characters an extra +1 on their rolls. If you want to institute the modified rolls instead that's fine too. I like the point buy system, mainly because it ensures that someone can't come to the table with the "I rolled all these 18s and my DM approved" character.

Feats on the other-hand can be game changing, which is why I'm against extra feats for starting characters. I mean a human fighter will get 8 possible feats from 1-20 as it is, why do they need more?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not silly, it's more akin to a placebo effect. It doesn't really change much besides giving the characters an extra +1 on their rolls. If you want to institute the modified rolls instead that's fine too. I like the point buy system, mainly because it ensures that someone can't come to the table with the "I rolled all these 18s and my DM approved" character.

Feats on the other-hand can be game changing, which is why I'm against extra feats for starting characters. I mean a human fighter will get 8 possible feats from 1-20 as it is, why do they need more?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Vuman gets 7, my Athasian human will get 7 if I use feats.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fighters get 7 by themselves. Human variants get an extra. 7+1=8. Read the PHB. If you give every race an extra feat, then you eliminate the reason choose a human.

I thought fighters got 6 feats, but you are quite correct.

I tweaked the Athasian default human. +2/+2/+1/+1 assign how you like + a skill of your choice. The PHB default human is kinda meh so I tweaked the stats a bit, still adds up to +6 but +2/+2 wherever you like is unique. And some classes are a bit more MAD.

neogod22

Explorer
I thought fighters got 6 feats, but you are quite correct.

I tweaked the Athasian default human. +2/+2/+1/+1 assign how you like + a skill of your choice. The PHB default human is kinda meh so I tweaked the stats a bit, still adds up to +6 but +2/+2 wherever you like is unique. And some classes are a bit more MAD.
Rogues get 6, fighters get 7.

Original DS materials fighters were generals while the gladiator was the tough as guts warrior.

Yeah, I remember that. I guess I don't see the Battle Master = Warlord thing. They have 2 maneuvers that are strongly warlord themed, 2 maneuvers that are somewhat warlord themed, and 12 maneuvers that have nothing to do with warlords and everything to do with manipulating your opponent physically or mentally. The subclass screams gladiator or swashbuckler to me. Really, the 4 warlordish maneuvers were probably tacked on later to go with the name change, since the playtest version was the "Weapon Master".

Remove ads