• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dawnforge - The True Kings

doghead

thotd
Hiitar smiles broadly at the knight.

"Haedyn my friend. In a few hours I am going to attempt to walk in to the infernal pits and walk out with a Tiefling they are holding captive. Forgive me if I take a moment or two to do what I can to improve the odds of success."

Hiitar swings around to look at the king.

"Although, to be honest Your Majesty, I think the odds of either of us getting out are slim. I would suggest you have a back up plan, and another group of heros prepared to seek out and persuade Mirlona Starpiercer to aide us.

"Just in case."

unleashed

First Post
Haedyn, Male Lowlander Spirit Adept

*Haedyn grins at Hiitar, as his actions are misinterpreted, before replying in Valhedrin.*

[SBLOCK=Valhedrin]“I know...I intend to accompany you.”[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Hiitar Vain, male Tiefling Soldier

Hiitar grins once more at the Lowlander.

[sblock=Valhedrin]"Ah Haedyn. I admit I misunderstood. I understood you to mean that you were joining those making the assault. It will be good to have you with me."[/sblock]

Hiitar glances around the room.

"In order to avoid any more confusion, may I confirm who is doing what. My understanding is that Sir Aravir, Galanorthrim, and Raynard are the Thunder. Headyn and I are the Wind. Jillian, bless her heart, has yet to decide. Do I have that correct?"

Starman

Adventurer
doghead said:
""Darvekis is a wizard. I know little about magic. But it seems to me that they will not have left him with his spell book. Is there something I could take, something that would allow him to play a more ... active role in escaping? Scrolls, I suspect, would be taken from me. Unless they appeared innocuous."

Galan shakes his head. "The only thing I can think of would be a wand of some sort. A wand of magic missiles would allow him to fight back if you should come under attack. Beyond that there is little to be done. A wizard needs a spellbook and time to prepare. Unfortunately, without those two things, he is a tiger without claws."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Rystil Arden said:
"Ah, excellent. And quite foolish of the Valhedar to keep an important prisoner so close to our lines. Demons are never a good thing, though. Are these conjured demons or have they physically entered Eadar? If they are conjured, they can be banished by a well-placed Dispelling by our good Wizard."

*He nods to the elf amongst them.*
"The fiends are summoned, but they can remain here in the pits as long as they have victims within them. It is possible for them to be banished, but only if one could destroy the silver circle at the edge of the pit first. It protects those outside from what it summons."

Widowmaker said:
"Your highness I have a question and a comment. How many soldiers are protecting the pit? And I will not leave my horse behind. Is it possible for him to be transported somehow?" Sir Aravir will look at the King as he addresses him.

Ser Aravir will then look at the clansman and elf. "We are thankful for your service and assistance."

Looking at the other Trueborn, Raynard. "It will be difficult for me to hide my heritage from the Tieflings. If you are thinking of stealth, I am not a wise choice for that mission."
"Commander Gareth, your knowledge of current troop numbers is better than mine," the king says, gesturing to one of his commanders. "Thank you, Your Highness. As for soldiers, there are a small number protecting the diabolists, though they do not enter combat except to protect their charges. There are two legions just behind the pits, about five hundred feet away, and several more about a mile behind that. No less than fifty patrol between and around the pits at any given time," the commander adds.

"As for your mount, I believe we can make help there. One of my shamen can temporarily shrink your noble mount to a size you could carry. We use it sometimes to move our ponies over very rough ground," the highlander offers, and nods at Sir Aravir.

Tailspinner said:
"What about the towers? Do you have any further information on them? Dimensions? Troop complement? What is the scale of this map?" She falls silent once more as she awaits for the translator to speak her questions and for the forthcoming answers to her questions.
"The towers are twenty feet high, and contain a group of ten fighters, two runners, two arcanist, and two healers. They are manned by no less than six people at a time. A pack of dogs, most with some kind of devil's blood in them, patrol the base of the tower. There's a single entrance to the tower on the roof, and arrow slits on all three sides. They're made of wood and covered with a kind of flame-inhibiting sustance. There are squads of no less than ten experienced legionnaries to protect each diabolist, and there are three diabolists for each pit. They camp farther back from the lines, about two miles. The largest of the pits is one hundred feet in diameter, the second largest is seventy-five, the third is fifty. Each pit has a protected platform, ringed with fencing and mesh, to protect the diabolist while they cast. They do not always keep fiends in the pits, some will not stay, as they must have living creatures in the pit to do so, and they kill them all. Others will linger, toying with their victims for days at a time. At our last report, there are currently no fiends lingering, but that could change at any time," one of the commanders says.

doghead said:
Hiitar striaghten in his chair, and considers the map for a moment.

"If we cannot sneak in nor fight our way in, then we should walk in. Obviously, that cannot be done in bright armour with banners flying. Sir Aravir is right, he is not a wise choice for this. It is best done by those who can pass themselves off as people of the Dominion. Hesitation, and uncertainty would be the best defences. There is no doubt as to the good Lord's allegiance.

"A distraction would be helpful. An push from the border, somewhere near to the pits, would draw away enemy troops, and lead to an increase in traffic to and from the front lines, making it easier to move around. Another force of warriors, men like Sir Aravir could be held in reserve, just behind the border at the point closest to the pits. Once Darvekis is rescued, and if the enemy is alerted, they could punch their way through to open up an escape route.

Hiitar pauses for a moment.

"Is there no way of magiking Darvekis back, once he has been found?"
"We expected something of the sort. We have archers from Andlemere that can blacken the sky with arrows. We can make a large and showy assault in an effort to break the eastward towers and pits, something we have been trying to do in the past. I believe I can make it noisy and bright enough, particularly with your help, to get their undivided attention," General Gareth says thoughtfully.

"As for retrieving Darvekis, no I don't believe that they can. I know of no such spell that can pluck an unwilling person from a great distance. They would have to come and get him. They may be able to magic themselves close, but again they would have to know the area where he is. And they don't and won't," the elf woman says confidently.

doghead said:
Hiitar watches the others fidgeting in their seats, impatient to go. Hiitar remains where he is however. There are a few avenues he wants to explore first. Before they get half way their and then find themselves wishing they had thought of it earlier.

When the other questions have been answered, Hiitar puts a few more of his own. Allthough, some of them are requests rather than questions, truth be told.

""Darvekis is a wizard. I know little about magic. But it seems to me that they will not have left him with his spell book. Is there something I could take, something that would allow him to play a more ... active role in escaping? Scrolls, I suspect, would be taken from me. Unless they appeared innocuous.

"I will also need a horse I think. Something with a Dominion saddle and trappings if possible."

Hiitar turns to the commander who spoke earlier.

"And a soldier would be nice. No respected Tiefling travels the Dominion without a aide. Someone brutish and surly would be perfect. But they would need to have some experience behind the lines, and be fairly cool under pressure. Do you have anyone who would fit the bill?"
"Certainly they will have taken his spellbook, but Darvekis knew he could be discovered at any time. He kept a traveling spellbook and his great grimoire, and the grimoire is still here. We will give it to the keeping of the Mukarvak clan, so he may make use of it when he is rescued.

"Darvekis is very clever, and he does have a few spells he can prepare with no recourse to magical writings. But he is probably bound hand and foot and gagged, not to mention guarded. Once you get him free, however, he will not be entirely helpless. But yes, we can give you a few wands for him to use, as well as potions of healing, for I have no doubt he will have been tortured, and you may need them as well," the king responds.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"As for retrieving Darvekis, no I don't believe that they can. I know of no such spell that can pluck an unwilling person from a great distance. They would have to come and get him. They may be able to magic themselves close, but again they would have to know the area where he is. And they don't and won't,"

"Curses. If I was only a bit stronger, I could grant the Wizard's Alharra's sight, so they could see whatever one of us sees, and then they could use these magics."

Ferrix

Explorer
"While the thought of parading through past demons and devils causes my skin to crawl, the opportunity to pull one over such vile creatures will not elude me. I will accompany you both into the pit, it may be prudent that I do a bit of the talking."

Widowmaker

First Post
"I am ready to go then. I think for the assault for it maybe wise to wait and see the terrian and area we are dealing with before we make our plans. A look at the troops and forces will help as well." Sir Aravir will express.

"A fall back position is not a bad idea. Again though I would like to wait to see what we are looking at first." He continues.

Orginally posted by Isida Kep'Tukari
"As for your mount, I believe we can make help there. One of my shamen can temporarily shrink your noble mount to a size you could carry. We use it sometimes to move our ponies over very rough ground, the highlander offers, and nods at Sir Aravir.

"Thank you again. I apperciate your service and help." Sir Aravir finishes.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"If we are genuinely to bluff our way past the Valhedar rather than sneak, then I should come along with that group. By Alharra's will, my skills of persuasion would be a fine counterpoint to the words of our Tiefling face."

Starman

Adventurer
Galen nods. "So, by my reckoning, we have Sir Aravir and myself as part of the thunder and Haedyn, Hiitar, Rhydar, and Raynard serving as the wind that will snap up Darvekis. Our wood elf companion has been quiet. In what capacity do you wish to help?" he asks looking at Jillian.

Last edited:

Remove ads