Day of the Doctor

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought I heard the First say something about starting the calculations (followed by comments from a number of others, culminating in Eccleston's "and for my next trick"). As indicated earlier in the episode, if the First starts the calculations, that then gives centuries until the Thirteenth has the completed set (which he can then broadcast to the others).

That's exactly correct. (Also, note that the whole sonic-screwdriver thing served as exposition/introdution to that concept earlier, so that the audience would get it quickly when applied big-scale to the Doctors).

Mallus

Legend
As indicated earlier in the episode, if the First starts the calculations, that then gives centuries until the Thirteenth has the completed set (which he can then broadcast to the others).
Yeah, it's foreshadowed (fore-explained?) by the door trick w/their screwdrivers earlier in the Tower of London. The implication is the Doctor has been working on the calculations to save Gallifrey for over 800 years.

And yes, it only makes a kinda-sorta-just-so sense, but that doesn't make it any less clever or lovely. Did I already mention Moffat's still got it?

And yes, it only makes a kinda-sorta-just-so sense, but that doesn't make it any less clever or lovely. Did I already mention Moffat's still got it?
Yea, it was an OK moment much better then the screw drivers (witch should have ended with
Matt smith saying "oops" because he had broken his.

What ever Moffet has is Ok at best, I just wish he remembered his own
Cannon and countinuity

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yea, it was an OK moment much better then the screw drivers (witch should have ended with
Matt smith saying "oops" because he had broken his.

There is no way that "ooops" would have been a better punchline than "it wasn't locked". As jokes go, that was perfectly set up, and perfectly delivered by Coleman.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The simpler the joke, the better. And I buy the "same software" line. The old one got destroyed - like he wouldn't have a backup of the software? If your employer can image your laptop, he can do it for a screwdriver.

Bringing the sonic screwdriver into the Tardis is probably like connecting a smartphone or tablet into a computer; all the apps update, files are copied back and forth and so forth and so on. One screwdriver is destroyed, the next one has software installed from the last time the screwdriver software was backed up... probably only hours before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Remove ads