• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Day of the Doctor

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I have to admit that my estimation of Eccleston has gone down a lot due to that.

Then again, I'm sure they could have taken his regeneration into Tennant and simply inserted his bit from that into the Hurt-Eccleston regeneration. They must have had some other reason they didn't do that (they used a clip of him in the 13 Doctors in TARDISes scene).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My read on the whole thing is that there was a lot going on behind the scenes during Eccleston's time on Doctor Who and then there's this article that basically collects some other info http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...by-Christopher-Eccleston-regarding-Doctor-Who

Yeah, in short he had a falling out with RTD (which RTD has admitted to, too, a couple of times). But RTD has nothing to do with the show any more. The only people Eccleston is hurting (i use the word in its loosest sense) are his fans.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Perhaps - but I didn't get any sense of "We'll use these 13 TARDISes in this eleaborate plan I've been plotting for 1200 years to .. err... I don't know what!" I definitely got the sense he knew exactly what he was doing. Maybe I need to watch it again!

Like you need an excuse to watch it again? :p

The issue isn't that the Doctor didn't know what he was doing. He knew, but if he remembered, he'd not be what he now is.

When we first see Eccelston, he think's he's effectively destroyed both the Time Lords and the Daleks. My memory (which could be wrong) is that the implication was that he'd put in the Time Lock, so that, aside from himself, they pretty much never existed. Most folk didn't remember what a Time Lord was - not just due to passage of time for mere mortals, but because he'd pretty much (but not quite totally) erased them from history.

The Daleks we see first are ones that, one way or another, avoided the Time Lock.

Now, to not disrupt history, and to ensure he stays the hoopy frood we all love, the Doctor cannot remember what he did. And the Time Lock on all these events must also still be in place to explain the non-existence and re-appearance of Daleks. So, while the Doctor went and hid Gallifrey, he doesn't know where he put it, and any evidence that it was done is in the Time Lock!

That's where the Curator* and Gallifrey Falls No More come in. It is one bit of Gallifrey in the final hours that sits *outside* the Time Lock, where the Doctor can eventually see it, and the Curator can plant the idea in his head that the rest of Gallifrey is also *outside* the Time Lock, but in stasis and tucked away somewhere.

*Upon thinking - the Curator is probably like the Valeyard or the Watcher - he's the final distillation of the Doctor, retired, that can wear the Doctor's past faces, though aged. Thus, they can have the past actors (or lookalikes) play the role of the Curator from time to time....

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Like you need an excuse to watch it again? :p

I know! This'll be time #5!

The issue isn't that the Doctor didn't know what he was doing. He knew, but if he remembered, he'd not be what he now is.

When we first see Eccelston, he think's he's effectively destroyed both the Time Lords and the Daleks. My memory (which could be wrong) is that the implication was that he'd put in the Time Lock, so that, aside from himself, they pretty much never existed. Most folk didn't remember what a Time Lord was - not just due to passage of time for mere mortals, but because he'd pretty much (but not quite totally) erased them from history.

The Daleks we see first are ones that, one way or another, avoided the Time Lock.

Now, to not disrupt history, and to ensure he stays the hoopy frood we all love, the Doctor cannot remember what he did. And the Time Lock on all these events must also still be in place to explain the non-existence and re-appearance of Daleks. So, while the Doctor went and hid Gallifrey, he doesn't know where he put it, and any evidence that it was done is in the Time Lock!

I don't think that's right. Hurt, Eccleston, and Tennant all forgot, but not Smith. At least that's how I read it. From TDoTD onwards, he knows Gallifrey is OK.

Janx

Hero
Yeah, I have to admit that my estimation of Eccleston has gone down a lot due to that.

Then again, I'm sure they could have taken his regeneration into Tennant and simply inserted his bit from that into the Hurt-Eccleston regeneration. They must have had some other reason they didn't do that (they used a clip of him in the 13 Doctors in TARDISes scene).

I see Doctor Who as the BBC equivalent to working on a Star Trek show.

It's more than just another show on the resume. It has a life after your stint is done. Fans, conventions, interviews, 10 year incremental anniversary specials, etc.

By the time Eccleston came around, this shouldn't have been a surprise that there's more Doctor Who stuff to do after you shoot your last episode.

Kind of like being a former Miss America, each one is expected to continue being a good role model and give a speech now and then.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think that's right. Hurt, Eccleston, and Tennant all forgot, but not Smith. At least that's how I read it. From TDoTD onwards, he knows Gallifrey is OK.

I'll have to rewatch it myself (I only saw it the once). But I recall the quote as him having to *find* Gallifrey. I can see an argument for the most recent Doctor being able to remember what happened, but then that quote doesn't make any sense at all - he'd remember where he put it...

Oh, unless he had one of his *prior* selves (say Tennant or Hurt, though any other than Smith or Capaldi would do) actually do the hiding! Then, Smith can know it is safe, but still not know where it is hidden, because that part didn't happen in Smiths' presence, so he cannot remember it.

Does that sound reasonable?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll have to rewatch it myself (I only saw it the once). But I recall the quote as him having to *find* Gallifrey. I can see an argument for the most recent Doctor being able to remember what happened, but then that quote doesn't make any sense at all - he'd remember where he put it...

Oh, unless he had one of his *prior* selves (say Tennant or Hurt, though any other than Smith or Capaldi would do) actually do the hiding! Then, Smith can know it is safe, but still not know where it is hidden, because that part didn't happen in Smiths' presence, so he cannot remember it.

Does that sound reasonable?

Problem with that is we're now starting to write our own narrative to explain it. I'll watch it again and see if we missed anything!

Remove ads