Day of the Doctor

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see Doctor Who as the BBC equivalent to working on a Star Trek show.

It's more than just another show on the resume. It has a life after your stint is done. Fans, conventions, interviews, 10 year incremental anniversary specials, etc.

By the time Eccleston came around, this shouldn't have been a surprise that there's more Doctor Who stuff to do after you shoot your last episode.

Kind of like being a former Miss America, each one is expected to continue being a good role model and give a speech now and then.

Tom Baker did something similar for years. Got irritated with people who thought of him just as The Doctor, refused to appear in multi-Doctor episodes, etc.

In later years he admitted that was all a mistake, and that he was a fool to have acted like that. He said that in truth those years working on the show were the happiest of his life.

Eccleston, of course, famously hated his time on the show due to his personality clash with RTD.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'm slightly unclear on how it is that all of the Doctors were able to a) converge on Gaillfrey in order to "hide" it in the manner they did as well as b) how all the doctors back to #1 were able to be in on the project of calculating the method of hiding it. I could understand how 10, 11, 12 (and 13?) as well as the War Doctor could have been working on it, but how could he have connected with his other "selves" without crossing his own time stream (in a manner that would not be allowed by the kinds of rules that have let it happen in other multi-doctor episodes).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm slightly unclear on how it is that all of the Doctors were able to a) converge on Gaillfrey in order to "hide" it in the manner they did as well as b) how all the doctors back to #1 were able to be in on the project of calculating the method of hiding it. I could understand how 10, 11, 12 (and 13?) as well as the War Doctor could have been working on it, but how could he have connected with his other "selves" without crossing his own time stream (in a manner that would not be allowed by the kinds of rules that have let it happen in other multi-doctor episodes).

Well, the rules against time-stream crossing have clearly been ignored in the episode (it's called the Blinovitch Limitation Effect). In this case, he must have contacted each of his prior incarnations off-screen; that's the only workable explanation.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Well, the rules against time-stream crossing have clearly been ignored in the episode (it's called the Blinovitch Limitation Effect). In this case, he must have contacted each of his prior incarnations off-screen; that's the only workable explanation.

Yeah, I was having trouble even figuring out how to frame the issue -- argh! So, clearly the doctor can and has crossed his own time stream under other circumstances (the 3 doctors, the 5 doctors, and even 5 and 10 being on the Tardis together in a minisode), but it seemed that all of those happened because a specific exception was made in each case (such as in the 3 Doctors, when the Time Lords engineered it or in the minisode, where it was a space-time accident).

Anyway, I know I'm overthinking it, but it was just one thing that stuck out at me watching that scene, much as I loved it.

I just saw an interesting comment regarding The Face of Boe's comment "You Are Not Alone" and what happened in the 50th....

I'm kind of sad that Jack never showed up during Smith's time....hopefully he'll show during Capaldi and have a freak out over how he looks like Frobisher.....

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I just saw an interesting comment regarding The Face of Boe's comment "You Are Not Alone" and what happened in the 50th....

I'm kind of sad that Jack never showed up during Smith's time....hopefully he'll show during Capaldi and have a freak out over how he looks like Frobisher.....

Was Jack ever in a room with Frobisher?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Eh? How do you figure?

Hartnell 55
Troughton 46 (down)
Pertwee 50 (up)
Tom Baker 40 (down)
Davison 29 (down)
Colin Baker 40 (up)
McCoy 44 (up)
McGann 36 (down)
Eccleston 41 (up)
Tennant 34 (down)
Smith 27 (down)
Capaldi 55 (up)

6 went younger, 5 went older. Pretty even
In looks at least.

delericho

Legend
I'm slightly unclear on how it is that all of the Doctors were able to a) converge on Gaillfrey in order to "hide" it in the manner they did

Quite possibly the same way DT, MS and JH did - the Bad Wolf called them? After all, she seemed to engineer the whole thing, showing the War Doctor "exactly the future I needed to see" - it appears she planned the whole thing.

b) how all the doctors back to #1 were able to be in on the project of calculating the method of hiding it.

I thought I heard the First say something about starting the calculations (followed by comments from a number of others, culminating in Eccleston's "and for my next trick"). As indicated earlier in the episode, if the First starts the calculations, that then gives centuries until the Thirteenth has the completed set (which he can then broadcast to the others).

Remove ads