Day of the Doctor

MarkB

Legend
Wonder if Moffat's intention is to do a complete reboot, and start anew with Capaldi as a new 1st doctor. (ie. Throw out all the existing canon and continuity of the past 50 years).

Perhaps similar to JJ Abrams rebooting Star Trek in the 2009 movie. :devil:

Since Capaldi's already appeared (well, bits of him) alongside all the other incarnations, that seems unlikely.

Some current articles suggest Smith's Doctor is the last as the other regenerations have been used, but Moffatt and company have deliberately deceived the fan base before to keep show surprises hidden. Gallifrey will probably return at the end of Moffett and Capaldi's run and the issue of additional regenerations will be settled then in some manner. The Christmas special will just be a gift to all the Smith-haters out there.

Nellisir

Hero
I suppose I could check my DVR, but I don't remember seeing a disembodied hand flying a TARDIS. ;) (I know, I know...but that's how I keep picturing it.)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My only disappointment was that, having finally got to see the Time War, all that we really saw of it was one final, very straightforward engagement.

This was supposed to be the war that shattered the universe, time being rewritten over and over again by either side, the escalation of paradoxes conjuring into being strange and terrible threats - the Nightmare Child, the Could've-been King, the Horde of Travesties. But we didn't get to see any of that.

What we did get to see, I enjoyed a lot. I'd just have liked it a little more epic. Ah well, maybe they'll touch on those parts if they ever do get round to telling the story of Gallifrey's return.

I thought this x1000%. The Time War turns out to be some people shooting at daleks with laser guns. Agreed, completely. This is there RRD's glorious imagination was failed by Moffat's pragmatism.

This was my only big disappointment with it too; it was pretty, but was just spaceships attacking a planet. I was expecting/hoping for something much more time shattering.

Why would the hand/clone count? I also have the fact that almost half the regens acted 'odd' and could be argued not to count

1 into 2 counts
2 into 3 was forced by councle may not count (Did they force him by overloading or using one of his?)
3 into 4 wasn't working until another time lord jumpstarted it (Did the doc give up a life or his mentor?)
4 into 5 is normal
5 into 6 involves merging with a shadow out of time (The watcher...)
6 into 7 normal
7 into 8 normal
8 into 9 (Hurt who is for the whole time we see him called the Doctor nothing else) drinks the elxier that was made by magic witches with the flame of eternial life out side power could easily be there..
9 into 10 is weird on multi levels... what triggered it???
10 into 11 is after absorbing the vortex energy, so could he have used some of that energy instead of a regen?
11 into 12 was sad... I almost cryed, but I can't find an excuse for it not to count.
12 to 13 we are yet to see.

Now if you want to count extra the hand AND he used regen enrgy on River... then again she gave him 'all her regens'

so what is the number? well what ever they want...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Doesn't Capaldi's age show that he is sort of a new line of Doctors? Docs have been growing younger with each regeneration, not older (Hurt was shown in a reflection when he was "born" and looked young).

Janx

Hero
Just saw it at the theatre today.

It was good. Nice fix for the doctor's dilemma.

Kind of a shame they couldn't fit Ecleston and McGann in for a bit of live action since they both be alive and reasonably spy.

And we also see that the doctor has 2 wives now.

Remove ads