Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa Xmas Special & s1

Oh man I love episodic tv. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I started re-watching Doctor Who, and the new Quantum Leap show with my mom. The we started Strange New Worlds, and I was like, yes, more of this please.
Yeah, EVERY series trying to be a long miniseries has gotten stale (especially in animation, I just want a simple cartoon).

One show recently that broke that trend I am loving is Poker Face, which is Rian Johnson of Knives Out fame doing a full series. Specifically, an attempt at a spiritual successor to Columbo (Howcatchums with an older, main character).

Short Synopsis: Charlie Cale (Natasha Lyonne) can detect any OUTRIGHT lie she hears (genuine misunderstandings and half-truths can get past her). Even she doesn't know or care how or why. She gets roped into a gambling fraud scheme that goes VERY wrong and she ends up a drifter on the run from a Mob hitman. She keeps stumbling into murder scene after murder scene, using her talents to solve them.

Other than the hitman's occasional appearances and simple continuity, each episode is fairly self-contained. I am loving it to pieces.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, EVERY series trying to be a long miniseries has gotten stale (especially in animation, I just want a simple cartoon).

One show recently that broke that trend I am loving is Poker Face, which is Rian Johnson of Knives Out fame doing a full series. Specifically, an attempt at a spiritual successor to Columbo (Howcatchums with an older, main character).

Short Synopsis: Charlie Cale (Natasha Lyonne) can detect any OUTRIGHT lie she hears (genuine misunderstandings and half-truths can get past her). Even she doesn't know or care how or why. She gets roped into a gambling fraud scheme that goes VERY wrong and she ends up a drifter on the run from a Mob hitman. She keeps stumbling into murder scene after murder scene, using her talents to solve them.

Other than the hitman's occasional appearances and simple continuity, each episode is fairly self-contained. I am loving it to pieces.
Speaking of stale, just how many episodes of Poker Face do think will be fresh? House started out pretty neat too, but eventually the formula flames out, IME.

Hussar

Legend
5 seasons seems to be a decent half life for episodic tv with larger stories. Give or take.

I’d like to see about 14-18 eps per season with a 5 season run.

payn

5 seasons seems to be a decent half life for episodic tv with larger stories. Give or take.

I’d like to see about 14-18 eps per season with a 5 season run.
The old two seasons a year like Walking Dead? You need mad popularity to pull that off.

Speaking of stale, just how many episodes of Poker Face do think will be fresh? House started out pretty neat too, but eventually the formula flames out, IME.

I give it three seasons, minimum. Unless NBC kills it, in classic "Of course we didn't advertise it, no one was watching it." style.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
The old two seasons a year like Walking Dead? You need mad popularity to pull that off.
Honestly never watched it on regular TV, so, I have no idea what this is.

Then again, I haven't watched network TV in about 20 years, so, I'm really out of touch.

payn

Honestly never watched it on regular TV, so, I have no idea what this is.

Then again, I haven't watched network TV in about 20 years, so, I'm really out of touch.
Basically, a show needs to be have the absolute best ratings, im talking nigh unreachable, to get to that 13+ episode a season position.

payn

I give it three seasons, minimum. Unless NBC kills it, in classic "Of course we didn't advertise it, no one was watching it." style.
I'd be surprised if it gets that much. NBC desperately trying to get people on Peacock and its just not working. Maybe, if they aired this on network alongside Peacock.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd be surprised if it gets that much. NBC desperately trying to get people on Peacock and its just not working. Maybe, if they aired this on network alongside Peacock.
They'll do that and then, like HBO Max, license it to Netflix and watch in bemusement as it deservedly becomes a big hit.

Remove ads