Doctor Who: Jodie Whitaker’s last episode [spoilers]

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
No, he went into the TARDIS and got changed, didn’t he?
Right, he was wearing Jodie's outfit after the forced regen and went into the TARDIS to change. When the forced regen was undone, Jodie was left wearing the odd mix the Master had picked out. My point being their clothes did not change during either regen process.

JEB

Legend
It's interesting that Tennant appeared in a suit and tie, not in Whitaker's costume. Usually, the clothes don't regenerate!
May be a nod to the first regeneration (Hartnell to Troughton), where the clothes also changed (albeit not as dramatically). Certainly the episode had enough other Classic Who callbacks.

I feel sorry for Whitaker. She is a very talented actor, but almost all her stories have been badly written over the top garbage.

Every heard of restraint, pacing and subtlety Chibnall?

I had to bail out after her first season (liked her as the Doctor but the writing wasn't pulling me in and some of the changes to the lore seemed a little too much for me). Liked Chibnall's stuff with Torchwood just didn't really find his material for the Whitaker Who era very engaging (Broadchurch was a little drowsy for my taste but the writing seemed good). Might check it out with Davies back. It is hard to recapture past chemistry though. Nice to see that Tennant is back (even if it is just for a few special episodes).

I had to bail out after her first season (liked her as the Doctor but the writing wasn't pulling me in and some of the changes to the lore seemed a little too much for me). Liked Chibnall's stuff with Torchwood just didn't really find his material for the Whitaker Who era very engaging (Broadchurch was a little drowsy for my taste but the writing seemed good). Might check it out with Davies back. It is hard to recapture past chemistry though. Nice to see that Tennant is back (even if it is just for a few special episodes).
Broadchurch series one was okay, and had the slow unfolding that I would have liked to have seen brought to Doctor Who, but Broadchurch series two was terribad, and the legal side was horribly researched.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Not an era I'll miss,
Yeah, me too. I liked Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor, but I can't recall an episode of her run that was better than "fine". (And some were downright terrible). I didn't dislike any of her companions, but I didn't care much for them either way.

Looking forward to having Davies back; though I have mixed feelings about his era, it was much better than Chibnall's.
I have mixed feelings to, and that's probably because his era was decidedly mixed. Some episodes were great (I'd argue, some of the greatest), but others were not-so-good. At least he always understood what elements made for a Doctor Who story. He's had time to reflect. We'll see. I'm definitely more excited about this than more of the last few years.

Can't wait for Ncuti Gatwa, who's amazing in Sex Ed, but I am thrilled to see a few more from David Tennant.

GreyLord

Legend
Wait...I missed it. I didn't think the episode would come out until Christmas!

Is there still going to be a Christmas special...or have I missed out!?

JEB

Legend
Wait...I missed it. I didn't think the episode would come out until Christmas!

Is there still going to be a Christmas special...or have I missed out!?
Yeah, wasn't expecting it so soon myself. But no, no Christmas specials. Looks like next will be a three-parter in November 2023 for the 60th anniversary.

Broadchurch series one was okay, and had the slow unfolding that I would have liked to have seen brought to Doctor Who, but Broadchurch series two was terribad, and the legal side was horribly researched.

I don't know anything about the legal system in the UK, so any of that would have gone over my head. But I do remember seasons varying in quality.

Yeah, wasn't expecting it so soon myself. But no, no Christmas specials. Looks like next will be a three-parter in November 2023 for the 60th anniversary.

And if you live outside the UK, all new episodes starting in 2023 will now stream on Disney Plus! I had no idea that deal was being worked on. @Morrus is this big enough news for it's own article?

Remove ads