Doctor Who: Jodie Whitaker’s last episode [spoilers]

Just to put my two cents, I think movies, shows, books etc related to genres that are popular among RPG fans is totally appropriate for the front page here (at least half the gamers I know, maybe more, like Doctor Who). For me, when a site has too narrow of a focus on its front page, that makes it less of a draw. Also Morrus has covered DW for ages here.

Also out of curiosity, as I am about 1-2 sessions absent and might be missing a lot of context: is there any possibility the Tenant we are seeing will be the Valeyard I seem to recall them teasing the Valeyard a lot between him to Smith and Capaldi).

MarkB

Legend
Lol. They piqued my interest with Tennant but repelled it with Disney Plus. I may just buy the individual episodes on Amazon (just not willing to pay another streaming service beyond Prime and Netflix at this point).
I quit paying the TV licence and watching broadcast TV sometime ago, so that's how I accessed this episode - bought the Flux season and this one on Amazon yesterday and binge-watched the whole lot.

This one was worth the price of admission just for one last scene between the seventh Doctor and Ace. I teared up at that one and again at the scenes leading up to the regeneration.

The rest of it was good fun too. Terribly over-the-top, but an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

I quit paying the TV licence and watching broadcast TV sometime ago, so that's how I accessed this episode - bought the Flux season and this one on Amazon yesterday and binge-watched the whole lot.

This one was worth the price of admission just for one last scene between the seventh Doctor and Ace. I teared up at that one and again at the scenes leading up to the regeneration.

The rest of it was good fun too. Terribly over-the-top, but an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

In the states I used to watch it on BBC America (and I think I watched the last Capaldi Season and the first Whittaker era buy paying for them on Amazon. I have to check what my current cable situation is. Presently my cable box hasn't worked for the past two years, but our package is cheaper with it than without it, so I am not sure what channels I have available to me. It is just a matter of calling my provider and figuring out if I need a new box or if they need to send someone and fix it. I don't watch a lot of TV though so it hasn't been a pressing issue to get repaired.

Lol. They piqued my interest with Tennant but repelled it with Disney Plus. I may just buy the individual episodes on Amazon (just not willing to pay another streaming service beyond Prime and Netflix at this point).

The Plus for this (heh) is that this new deal will reach many more markets than BBCAmerica and other outlets ever did. The UK and Ireland will still watch on BBC, but the rest of the world will get it on D+, and assuming Star, the international version of D+/Hulu for more adult stuff.

The Plus for this (heh) is that this new deal will reach many more markets than BBCAmerica and other outlets ever did. The UK and Ireland will still watch on BBC, but the rest of the world will get it on D+, and assuming Star, the international version of D+/Hulu for more adult stuff.

I don't know the numbers, but unless D+ comes as part of my regular cable package, I know I won't be subscribing to a new streaming service for one show.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So back to the actual topic at hand -- what did people think of the episode?

I think it was the most fun of the Chibnall era. Loved the Ra Ra Rasputin scene (reminded me of Missy with Hey Mickey).

I didn't understand the forced regeneration thing, and the more I think about it, I still don't. He kept saying he was the Doctor, but he looked like the Master and had the Master's conscousness. In what way was he not the Master? He kept saying he would not ruin the Doctor's reputation, but why wouldn't people just say "Huh? You're not the Doctor, you're clearly the Master."

I loved the conversations between Tegan and Davison and Ace and McCoy. It was a clever little rehoticial device, the Doctor slapping them with those hologram things. The cliff scene with the various Doctors was cool, too, though I'm curious why no modern Doctors? A choice, or were they not available (though Tennant obviously is/was).

MarkB

Legend
So back to the actual topic at hand -- what did people think of the episode?

I think it was the most fun of the Chibnall era. Loved the Ra Ra Rasputin scene (reminded me of Missy with Hey Mickey).

I didn't understand the forced regeneration thing, and the more I think about it, I still don't. He kept saying he was the Doctor, but he looked like the Master and had the Master's conscousness. In what way was he not the Master? He kept saying he would not ruin the Doctor's reputation, but why wouldn't people just say "Huh? You're not the Doctor, you're clearly the Master."
Well, he was literally, physically the Doctor - he'd transferred his own mind into her body. And not all that many people beyond Earth knew his new face in the first place, so why would they assume it was the Master rather than a new regeneration of the Doctor?

And while I'm sure trashing the Doctor's reputation was a major draw for him, presumably the bit he most wanted was access to the Doctor's infinite regenerative capability.
I loved the conversations between Tegan and Davison and Ace and McCoy. It was a clever little rehoticial device, the Doctor slapping them with those hologram things. The cliff scene with the various Doctors was cool, too, though I'm curious why no modern Doctors? A choice, or were they not available (though Tennant obviously is/was).
Maybe Chibnall not wanting to touch his immediate predecessors' eras. Also, I'm guessing Eccleston wasn't available, and including Tennant there might imply that he was hanging on at the border and hijacked the regeneration at the end, which I don't think is what they're going for. And including a post-Tennant incarnation might muddy the waters still further.

So no watching the MCU or Star Wars shows or the Willow or Percy Jackson series (once those start)?

No. I'm not very interested in MCU movies. Those are probably my least favorite thing to watch. I like the star wars films fine but I was never someone who read expanded universe stuff or wanted to watch star wars TV shows. And while I like the original Willow movie, I don't feel a strong need to see a remake or reboot (or new show based on it). I am not sure who Percy Jackson is so that would certainly not be a big draw for me. Right now I have two streaming services, Netflix and Prime. I mainly keep prime because it sometimes affords good deals on kindle books I want to read, and sometimes movies I want to see are free on it (they used to have a ton of Kung Fu and Wuxia movies, which was its main draw but those are not as widely available there anymore). I may at some point get rid of Netflix as I only watch it for Cobra Kai and Stranger Things (it has been ages since they've had a movie on there that I was looking to watch).

I do like Doctor Who however.

But my feeling is once the streaming services started to fragment so everyone could get a piece of the pie, I really started to lose interest in streaming platforms (I did like it when Netflix or Prime had most things, that was convenient). But subscriptions to multiple streaming services, when I already have subsrcptions for necessary programs like Adobe on my computer, just me it feels like you are getting nickled and dimed to death after a while.

Remove ads