• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deadlands: Session Atmosphere

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, elsewhere* I have noted that I'm starting up a new campaign, using classic Deadlands. I usually like to use campaign-switches to revamp and renew my production values, so now I'm considering what I can do to enhance the feel of my sessions.

For those not familiar with the system, Deadlands is "Weird West" - an alternate-history Western US setting, with steampunk tech, supernatural powers around, and a solid dollop of horror. Those who remember the TV sereis "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr." can think of that as a reference point - though the Deadlands world is rather darker (and contains more magic) than is seen in that series.

For a long time I was a living-room GM, as that's where my place had the most abundant comfortable seating. In my current house, though, it looks like the classic dining room table is the best bet, if only because there's more seating with appropriate table space. The dining room (and most of the house) is done in spackled and painted a cream color, with lots of dark wood-finish trim and blinds, with dark wood-finish furniture. So that at least helps with the western theme. There is also a sideboard to which food and beverages can be removed when the table is necessary for maps of the like.

The dining room light is on a dimmer, so I can lower the lights and enhance with candles (and maybe an oil lamp) when that seem useful. The end of the table I expect to use as the GM's seat has a couple electrical outlets nearby, so I can run music and a laptop if I want without having long cords drape across the room.

I also used to run my games on the weekends - that's been a scheduling nightmare as the number of demands on weekend time has risen. So, I'm moving to mostly weeknights - shorter sessions, but a plus that I'm running a game with dark horror elements at night! The room has two entries without doors - but the previous owners left solid nails in the trim, such that I can hang some simple curtains to visually block in the room a bit, to make it feel a bit more isolated, which should be useful for horror.

So, folks, what else do you figure I can do to set mood in the session?

----------------------------
*I went looking for media references for my players here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/media-lounge/273586-westerns-your-recommendations.html

And looking for session soundtrack recommendations here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/media-lounge/273709-westerns-horror-your-music-recommendations.html

Henry

Autoexreginated
So, folks, what else do you figure I can do to set mood in the session?

One thought: see if you can dig up some old-school "garage sale" or thift-store empty liquor bottles to array on the sideboard for atmosphere; preferably ones whose labels either haven't changed for decades or who just look like they could conceivably be from the 1800s. The Old West, fantasy version or not, was fueled on whiskey. :)

another thought:

Scrapbook Art On CD Vintaage image from the 1800s

was something I just scoped around for and found someone selling CDs of images of posters, photos, etc. from topics such as the Old West, Vintage poster art from 1870 - 1930, etc. for about 7 bucks per CD. You could print up a few choicer pieces for posting on the walls, or for props in-game.

darjr

I crit!
I don't know deadlands, not classic anyway.

But in my FLGS there was a group playing and they had a real brass spitoon, old time clay poker chips and old time playing cards.

I think they were tossing the chips into the spitoon and every time they did the thing made that classic sound.

One of the gals even had her cowboy hat and boots. Cowboy hats and boots are not that uncommon around here, so maybe she wasn't actually 'in costume'.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One thought: see if you can dig up some old-school "garage sale" or thift-store empty liquor bottles to array on the sideboard for atmosphere; preferably ones whose labels either haven't changed for decades or who just look like they could conceivably be from the 1800s. The Old West, fantasy version or not, was fueled on whiskey. :)

Hm. I am not known for alcoholic intake. I think it'd say something if the players see me swigging from a "whiskey" bottle (that I'd just happen to have filled with strong iced tea, say)...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It is surprising how real a bottle of Jack looks when filled with tea. I almost got busted as a minor in possession due to that.

Now, it may be tough for you to come up with RW dead soldiers, but it should be easy enough to make some. You can find all kinds of glass bottles with cork stoppers at places like Pier One, the Container Store, World Market, and so forth.

Then make some labels with sticky paper..."Great Old Juan's Tequila" (complete with gummi worm?), "Ghost Dance Sasperilla", "Piney Woods Burbon", "New Orleans Voodoo Absinthe" and so forth should do just fine, especially filled with appropriately colored liquids (drinkable or not).

In addition, IBC Root Beer bottles look remarkably like normal beer bottles.

Other elements...go to a costume store and get cheap cowboy hats, Indian headresses and fake moustaches and cigars as per each PC's style.

coyote6

Adventurer
In addition, IBC Root Beer bottles look remarkably like normal beer bottles.

Henry Weinhard's Root Beer bottles also look much like regular beer bottles. IIRC, a friend got pulled over after a cop saw him take a swig -- it was root beer, but it looked like a regular old beer bottle to the cop.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Because of the Texas Hold'em craze, it should be fairly easy for you to find poker chips- even nice ones that have a very nice weight and sound to them- for reasonable prices.

You should probably also get a few decks of inexpensive Hoyle cards- not just for the game itself, but as props. Its amazing how much time some people spent playing poker & blackjack.

A spitoon of some kind is a nice touch...but instead of using chips to toss in there, get some jelly beans. You won't care if they break.

Remove ads