• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing Damage

laughingbuhda

First Post
I have a werebear(polar bear)/barbarian 1 and I am trying to figure out the right way of building him so that I can do the most damage as possible.

I took the barb as a role playing thing and am not stuck with the 1 class.

Right now I have a +4 sizing great ax and a +6 str item, is there a way to get a higher bonus to str with magic items?

as for my feats I have weapon focus and imp crit. I was thinking of going the fighter route from here to get the extra feats. I had planned on power attack then weapon specialization after that. Are there any feats I should take before these two? after these two I have no real clue as to what I should take and am looking for suggestions.

thank you all in advance.

Goolpsy

First Post
Great cleave is waste of a feat

at "Higher" levels, even those "small" creatures for that level might have more than enought hp for the cleaving attack to kill it, hence u won't ever get a 2nd cleave attack.

IcyCool

First Post
Goolpsy said:

at "Higher" levels, even those "small" creatures for that level might have more than enought hp for the cleaving attack to kill it, hence u won't ever get a 2nd cleave attack.

Not entirely true. If the creature you cleave into is wounded, then you have a good chance (especially the character mentioned above) of killing it on the cleave and great cleaving. That said, I generally avoid Great Cleave, as I tend to leave the role of "mowing down large crowds of mooks in a single round" to the party wizard or sorcerer.

werk

First Post
laughingbuhda said:
Right now I have a +4 sizing great ax and a +6 str item, is there a way to get a higher bonus to str with magic items?
Probably not. My suggestions would be enlarge and rage. I usually take 2 levels in barbar before multiclassing, but I have a fighter I'm currently playing that is Duergar (+1LA, enlarge and invis 1/day, immunities)cleric 1 (wrath and fate), barbar 1, and fighter 3 (will continue with fighter until I decide on a PrC.
as for my feats I have weapon focus and imp crit.
Imp. Crit requires a BAB of +8...I didn't see where you mentioned your level.
I was thinking of going the fighter route from here to get the extra feats. I had planned on power attack then weapon specialization after that. Are there any feats I should take before these two? after these two I have no real clue as to what I should take and am looking for suggestions.
Weapon Focus is required for specialization, so you'll have to take it. I'm a big fan of having secondary or tertiary weapons or styles for fighter-types. I rarely put all my eggs in one basket. For example, the duergar fighter above uses a dwarven war axe and shield (slashing and AC), or a halberd and armor spikes (reach, trip, and piercing), or a heavy x-bow (ranged). I'm also a big fan of Quick-draw and Imp. Toughness.

Drowbane

First Post
What are your HD, how many feats do you have access to?

Cleave, Improved Toughness, Power Attack... Extra Rage if you're not taking more than 1 Barbarian.

laughingbuhda

First Post
BAB of +8 from the bear and the barbarian class. Lycanthropes are a bit odd in the way that I am 12th level in ECL, but only 1st in CL. So all the level bonus things like bonus feats and stat boosts haven't taken effect. You have to look at it from a first level character perspective.

Power attack was my next choice, taking a fighter level to get it. Then I was going to take 1 more level in barbarian to get uncanny dodge and that would be 3rd level so I get my bonus feat. Would cleave or weapon specialization be better there? Or is there a feat in one of the complete books that would allow for more damage?

frankthedm

First Post
Goolpsy said:

That is the fault of that game's DM, not the game if 1HD humaniods disappear after 5th or 9th level play, which sadly happens a LOT. Now if those humaniods are running after they see great cleave used on thier horde, well, thats just them using thier INT. :]

Remove ads