• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death of the LGS

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It is an unfortunate fact of life that Generation Y (those born between 1980 and 1994) already control more wealth (directly or indirectly) than Generation X...and they don't even have all of their members in the work force yet.

Where's that little tidbit from?

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
My FLGS just closed Saturday. Amazon.com and other online stores helped closed him. Now I'm stuck with buying my books online or wait till Gen Con for my stuff. Sigh.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It is an unfortunate fact of life that Generation Y (those born between 1980 and 1994) already control more wealth (directly or indirectly) than Generation X...and they don't even have all of their members in the work force yet.

Where's that little tidbit from?

Multiple articles and marketing publications I read while getting my MBA 2003-2005.

None of which I have on hand, unfortunately.

The most recent thing I could find online were these:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2006-10-11-retail-teens-usat_x.htm
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NEWS/allnewsbydate.asp?NewsID=835
http://promomagazine.com/research/marketing_generation_spending_above/

By this point, its probably such a non-controversial issue that you might not find any current data to the contrary.

Besides the above, most of what I find online about Gen Y finances deals with their massive credit card debt and generally poor savings habits.

Mark

By this point, its probably such a non-controversial issue that you might not find any current data to the contrary.

Besides the above, most of what I find online about Gen Y finances deals with their massive credit card debt and generally poor savings habits.

Thank goodness us 1962ers fall into the Baby Boomer category. :)

Mark

The one on the Northside: Boardroom Games just closed. I have to drive to the Westside now for stuff like Pazio games now because no other store I know but the Boardroom sold them.

Paizo needs to expand its brick and mortar coverage (and make sure the b&m stores aren't getting stuff up to a month later than Paizo sells it through their website) if they want to truly support gamers through the b&m locations.

Felix

Explorer
I would love to sit around a table drinking coffee and bandying economic jargon about predatory pricing, price floors, and negative externalities of free markets. But is ENWorld really the place for it?

Despite your scoffing, Aria, gamersgambit has an advantage relative to Amazon when it comes to customer service. Customers can see gg; customers can talk directly to gg; customers can ask any question about any product in the store and get an immediate answer; customers can buy a soda from gg; customers can play in gg's game if he runs one. All of those things can help create a real relationship between gg and the customer, something that one-click-shopping cannot do.

That's the arena were he can compete. He establishes relationships and generates "brand loyalty" and he can be successful.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon

FYI, there are good game stores that aren't located in malls. :)

I frequent 3 different game stores across the Valley that support D&D by providing gaming space and hosting RPGA events.

West Valley: (my preferred store because I game with the owner)

Imperial Outpost Games
Address: 4920 W Thunderbird Rd # 121,
Glendale, AZ 85306
Phone: (602) 978-0467

Central Valley:

Game Depot
3136 S Mcclintock Dr Ste 11
Tempe, AZ 85282
Phone: (480) 966-4727

East Valley:

Gamers Inn
1232 E Southern Ave #14
Mesa, AZ 85204

Ph: 480.507.0509

Transportation is an issue for me (I don't have have any wheels of my own and public transportaion is a joke during the summer anyway).

With the passing of my father, finding a new group and getting together on a regular basis is problematic as well. I do offer gas money to alleviate the strain of someone going out of their way to help me out and more often than not will treat them to a meal during the gaming break.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But the situation you describe is not one of choice, but one of relative impossibility.

For people in that kind of situation, I wouldn't dream of criticizing their choice to prefer online retail shopping over virtually doing without.

In my early years as a gamer, I lived in Manhattan, KS. There were a few D&D and Traveller products available at the book store, but the supply of new material was exhausted within a month or so of shopping.

To find new material, I had to go to Lawrence, Topeka, Wichita or Kansas City- things I could only do once every month or two. Or four.

Thank goodness for the internet!

Remove ads