• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deaths Gate - Rule's finalized, Now Recruiting! **Paging Players**

Lord_Raven88

First Post
In case you don't have the 'Elements of Magic' sourcebook I've cobbled together a few bits and pieces from the Unearthed Arcana to simulate my previous suggestions using readily available resources.

Options used from the Unearthed Arcana
· Arcane Domains
· Craft Points (Changed from the orginal amounts to equate to half the standard gold for PC's by level)
· Defence Bonus
· Spell Points

Domains
Domains can be chosen from any clerical or arcane domains. New domains lists could aso be made along similar thematic lines.

Crafting
Partyns can enchant the runes that cover their various body slots in the same manner used to create other magical items.

To enchant an item or one of their body slots they must expend crafting points (CP) equal to 1/2 of the items market value in gp as well as 1/25 of the items market cost in XP.

If a 5th level Partyn Warrior wanted to enchant his body slot to provide a +1 enchantment bonus, then this cost him 500 CP and 40 XP (market value is 1000 gp). When he gains another level the Partyn decides to upgrade his body slot protective runes to provide light fortification protection, this would normally cost 2000 CP and 160 XP. Since he has already expended 500 CP and 40 XP he only has to expend a further 1500 CP and 120 XP to do this.

Money
Use crafting points in exchange for money, one crafting point equals two gold pieces value. Crafting points could be exchanged with other Partyn's for services and equipment.

Defence Bonus
The defence bonus is a magical byproduct of a Partyn's magical runes. The defence bonus can be further enhanced via the usual rules for enchanting magical 'armour'. This bonus can be bypassed via weapons enchanted thru rune magic.

Attachments

• Deathgate Character Creation Guidelines.xls
    36.5 KB · Views: 134

I <3 the Death Gate Cycle, my first real intro into fantasy novels, would totally be into a DG roleplay. I agree with most of how Lord_Raven sees the mechanics of Sartan and Patryn magic with the possible exception of which rules set to apply. I'd see mensch magic as generic PC wizards & sorcerers with a 20 level limit, and Sartan/Patryn magic as an ability set far beyond that. Even to the powerful wizards of (what's the name of the Air element world?) the Sartan and Patryn were seen as gods.

If I remember correctly there are appendixes at the end of the various novels that explain how their magic works, and from what I recall their style is much more supportive of a freeform spell generation system then the Vancian fire & forget. The Epic Magic spell generation system (available for free in the Epic SRD) would be a possible magic system as well, so long as the rules for research and spell/day limits were disregarded. And only if you had a whole lotta faith in your ability to make on the fly decisions about what would work and wouldn't work. Generic or even D20 modern classes for the Sartan and Patrynly le with an automatically learned spell system attached would work better then trapping their magic within a class or skill system strata. Such characters would be similar to Gestalt characters, making all PC's an effective 2 or 3 levels higher then their norm according to how easy you make it to cast spells.

Another possible avenue is to use what's provided in the novels as a focus for spell progression. For Sartan rune magic that would be based on Perform (Runemagic) and for Patryn that'd be Craft (Runemagic)

*Spoiler Note*

The Death Gate Cylce describes P&S magic as able to draw upon the alternate possibilites as the source of their power, so it'd make sense IMO to allow them to be as versatile as possible. Battles between these superpowers were described as being similar to a game of rock, paper, scissors; but with infinite choices. It should be maintained however that resurrection of any kind creates serious problems, ala Hugh the Hand and/or Pyrans undead.

Possible feats include the ability to shapechange into a form based upon your magical abilities (ala Alfreds Dragon form) to the elves of Aerenal song based or soul based magic, to the world of Pyrans Necromantic abilities.

Lord_Raven88 said:
Bump

As this idea is too cool to die off so quickly!

I heartily agree, completely willing to help in any way needed.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Clutching Yggdrasil said:
I <3 the Death Gate Cycle, my first real intro into fantasy novels, would totally be into a DG roleplay. I agree with most of how Lord_Raven sees the mechanics of Sartan and Patryn magic with the possible exception of which rules set to apply. I'd see mensch magic as generic PC wizards & sorcerers with a 20 level limit, and Sartan/Patryn magic as an ability set far beyond that. Even to the powerful wizards of (what's the name of the Air element world?) the Sartan and Patryn were seen as gods.

If I remember correctly there are appendixes at the end of the various novels that explain how their magic works, and from what I recall their style is much more supportive of a freeform spell generation system then the Vancian fire & forget. The Epic Magic spell generation system (available for free in the Epic SRD) would be a possible magic system as well, so long as the rules for research and spell/day limits were disregarded. And only if you had a whole lotta faith in your ability to make on the fly decisions about what would work and wouldn't work. Generic or even D20 modern classes for the Sartan and Patrynly le with an automatically learned spell system attached would work better then trapping their magic within a class or skill system strata. Such characters would be similar to Gestalt characters, making all PC's an effective 2 or 3 levels higher then their norm according to how easy you make it to cast spells.

Another possible avenue is to use what's provided in the novels as a focus for spell progression. For Sartan rune magic that would be based on Perform (Runemagic) and for Patryn that'd be Craft (Runemagic)

*Spoiler Note*

The Death Gate Cylce describes P&S magic as able to draw upon the alternate possibilites as the source of their power, so it'd make sense IMO to allow them to be as versatile as possible. Battles between these superpowers were described as being similar to a game of rock, paper, scissors; but with infinite choices. It should be maintained however that resurrection of any kind creates serious problems, ala Hugh the Hand and/or Pyrans undead.

Possible feats include the ability to shapechange into a form based upon your magical abilities (ala Alfreds Dragon form) to the elves of Aerenal song based or soul based magic, to the world of Pyrans Necromantic abilities.

I heartily agree, completely willing to help in any way needed.
As written in the books, the P&S are way above the normal elemental mensch spellcasters. So the epic magic rues could perhaps be applied to them.

However playing in a RPG is very different from reading a novel, as you have to take into account game balance issues. So it would really be up to Jemal (if he's still reading this forum) to decide on what best works for him.

I guess it depends on whether P&S are born as epic level spellcasters, or is there skill in magic acquired over time. I based my suggestions on the later premise, but either way works.

Jemal

Adventurer
OF course I'm still here! I've been wanting this game off+on for Years.

I think I'd have to either A) Do away with the Sartan/Patryn Rune Magic thing, or B) Make it so that PC's can ONLY be Sartan or Patryn.

As has been pointed out, the power gap between S/P and Mensch is like the power gap between Superman and a Marine. Sure, the Marine could be the most powerful 'normal' human in existence, best trained, most intelligent, strongest, fastest, most armed to the teeth person alive.. But without Kryptonite (Or in this world, Chelestran water, which does essentially the same thing.) he hasn't a chance.

On that note, I've been thinking, and I'm going to take a poll : Who thinks we SHOULD use the rune magic (Meaning you would be playing Sartan/Patryns), and who thinks we SHOULDN'T (Meaning we would just be in a similar world, but without the Sartan/Patryn Rune Magic thing).

If we did go with the S/P, I'd probably be using both Lord_Ravens ideas AND Yggdrasil's, as I've been thinking of both of those types of things anyways.

If we DON'T, it would be basically a D&D campaign set in this prison realm with some changes to make it 'feel' more the same. I'd still go with something to Lord_Raven's body-slot item options.

And again, I'ld like to point out : You don't HAVE to know the series to be interested!!

Remove ads