• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E December Survey is Up

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The problem with the Prestige Class article is that it's really not enough to judge. It's not full content nor enough to really add to a game, so it reviews poorly.

Which is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy: WotC doesn't want to devote a lot of time and energy to something people might not like so they halfass something and people don't like it.

I also think Undying Light needs a new name.

Seems to be partly an opportunity to get data on whether people want them period.

Hopefully not.

leonardoraele

First Post
- Great to see new Fighting Styles, but the first is clearly overpowered, and the second is unnecessarily clunky with its "activation" mechanic combined with infinite OA loophole (it could be simpler and loophole-proof)

What? Are you ok with a -1 on attacks and being forced to be 30 ft. from the enemy as a ranged character? It's like turning a ranged character into a melee character without a shield. I suggested they change the bonus to +2.

mellored

Legend
I'd like to see prestige classes actually need prestige and give beniits of such prestige. Rune mage is pretty, meh. There's basically no story connection besides "find a rune'.

I'd like to see prestige classes be more like going up in rank of an eberon houses, or forgotten realms factions.

Prestige class of house lythader
Level 1 least storm dragon mark, free air ship travel
Level 3 lesser storm dragon mark, your own air ship.
Level 5 greater storm dragon mark, command an air ship armada.

Tanarii

First Post
PrC prerequisites based on in-game events, such as finding a magical item, or requiring a 'gatekeeper' person or organization, are absolutely terrible. They have a large potential to cause conflict between DM narrative decisions and player expectations/agency.

No PrC should ever have a prerequisite that isn't under player control: Race, Class, Backgrounds, Ability Scores, Features, Proficiencies or Feats.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
One of my great hatreds are abilities that remove restrictions. They are lazy, and promote a character that can do everything without regard for the situation.

Thus, being able to make ranged attacks in melee without disadvantage is one of the worst ideas ever. What does it do to the game? It allows a character to use a longbow ALL THE TIME without worrying about the situation. It's a pathetic ability which shows no thought. Likewise, removing concealment/cover bonuses to AC. Someone bothers to manuever to advantage. Why bother? it doesn't help. You might as well stand in the open.

(Yes, I have similar hatred of the Sharpshooter feat).

There's a few times when removing restrictions works, but in this case it just turns the longbow into the Ultimate Weapon that you never have to change. Horrible, horrible design.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
PrC prerequisites based on in-game events, such as finding a magical item, or requiring a 'gatekeeper' person or organization, are absolutely terrible. They have a large potential to cause conflict between DM narrative decisions and player expectations/agency.

No PrC should ever have a prerequisite that isn't under player control: Race, Class, Backgrounds, Ability Scores, Features, Proficiencies or Feats.

I am kind of on the opposite site.

PrCs should be something like magic items: something optional that, if you find on your travels, and you invest into it, it can be a part of your character that emerges through gameplay rather than one you're designed for explicitly.

I'd vastly prefer that to something that supports "building" for without actually even playin' the game.

Tanarii

First Post
I am kind of on the opposite site.

PrCs should be something like magic items: something optional that, if you find on your travels, and you invest into it, it can be a part of your character that emerges through gameplay rather than one you're designed for explicitly.

I'd vastly prefer that to something that supports "building" for without actually even playin' the game.
I'd agree this works if:
1) Players had no clue what PrCs were in the game in advance, or were given a short list by the DM as available in his campaign that the characters (not players) would know about. In other words, as a DM option.
2) generally, the mechanical prerequisites don't have to be baked in to the characters build from the beginning. So that a player can reasonably work towards them once discovering the PrC exists.

The biggest problem with the way PrCs are actually presented is as a player option, not a DM option. So players plan them the same way they plan other builds. That's not a problem *if* it doesn't create potentially unreasonable expectations, such as the need for specific magic items to be found or specific NPCs/organizations to appear.

If they are options that only open up during play, that's not a problem. Because the DM has specifically put them in play.

It's also generally, although not always, better for the prerequisites to be relatively easily obtainable once the option opens up in play. Say within 3 levels after discovery. That's enables reasonable player agency once they know the option is available. Obviously for some PrC concepts, that doesn't work so well ... Ones that require a lifetime of training and knowledge to enter, or at least a long time of striving to attain the goal. But regardless, if they're opening up in play they shouldn't depend on choices made at first level.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I was very clear in the survey that I think prestige classes should be left out of fifth edition entirely, in favor of subclasses and feats.

But I love the basic concept of rune magic. Though I suppose the mechanics could work for any magic item. There's nothing particularly runish about them.

Uchawi

First Post
It would be nice to grant classes like the fighter rune magic type powers like Indomitable Stand or Overwhelming Bolt (Blow). Adding all the subclasses and prestige classes with predominately magic options is getting old. I am making a guess that the rune scribe is the 5E equivalent of an Artificer.

I'd like to see prestige classes actually need prestige and give beniits of such prestige. Rune mage is pretty, meh. There's basically no story connection besides "find a rune'.

I'd like to see prestige classes be more like going up in rank of an eberon houses, or forgotten realms factions.

Prestige class of house lythader
Level 1 least storm dragon mark, free air ship travel
Level 3 lesser storm dragon mark, your own air ship.
Level 5 greater storm dragon mark, command an air ship armada.

Agreed. With this approach, however, there is a lot of overlap with factions. A prestige class is basically just a faction with more mechanical benefits. So perhaps progress in a faction should unlock a prestige class...? For example, progress in the Harpers unlocks the Harper prestige class. Just a thought.

Remove ads