WotC New D&D survey from WotC as part of the 50th anniversary year.

CapnZapp

Legend
Ok. That seems reasonable.

But don't forget that those 5 people were allowed to keep D&D alive because someone trusted them and gave them money 2 years before it might possibly make money. And books had to be printed before they make a single cent of money. There was some risk involved that all the money was lost.
And that money could have bought other things. People who invested in hasbro could have bought real estate or something else.
Paying five people is taking a MINUSCULE risk.

It really tells you how small this market is.

CapnZapp

Legend
It was not only paying 5 people. It was providing them with space. It was paying printers. It was paying editors. It is paying artists. It was paying freelancers and professional playtesters.
Not something a small company might have been able to do.
It's still magnitudes less money than in almost every other entertainment sector.

You're saying a small company can't do that. And you are right - a Mom n Pop type operation can't, and most ttrpg publishers are just a few guys in a cellar.

That just reinforces my argument, though:

"some risk involved that all the money was lost" It is a tiny amount of money. The risk is thus low, even if "all" of it was lost.

Scribe

Legend
"some risk involved that all the money was lost" It is a tiny amount of money. The risk is thus low, even if "all" of it was lost.

And this was my point as well. The risk was tiny, in comparison to the massive profit 5e must have generated due to its success.

As such, I hope those 5 staff got a massive bonus.

Remove ads