• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deciding on AL character(part 2)

Jessica

First Post
I was thinking on what to do for EK and some thoughts came up:

1) If I go Human variant and pick Fighter as my first class then I can't grab Warcaster which means I can't really make good use of the Shield spell for a long time while also using a great weapon or polearm.

2) Which leaves me in this weird spot where if I want to use a shield and the Shield spell and have the Warcaster feat then I have to be a Human who takes her first level in Wizard which then locks me into a Dex/Int build because then I don't get heavy armor proficiency.

3) Otherwise I can just make the decision that Shield won't be a thing I take(or take for niche purposes) and start over my decision from there.

4) SCAG cantrips are 5 feet for range which means I lose a bit of the benefit for being a Polearm wielder.

I don't know. It feels like I have to think about things more a bit.

bid

First Post
I was thinking on what to do for EK and some thoughts came up:

1) If I go Human variant and pick Fighter as my first class then I can't grab Warcaster which means I can't really make good use of the Shield spell for a long time while also using a great weapon or polearm.
That's not an issue. Dixit errata: "Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it."

As long as you go polearm/heavy you don't need warcaster.

The usual base is wizard 2 / EK 7, either abjuration or divination. Then you choose between 7th spells and eldritch strike.

Jessica

First Post
That's not an issue. Dixit errata: "Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it."

As long as you go polearm/heavy you don't need warcaster.

The usual base is wizard 2 / EK 7, either abjuration or divination. Then you choose between 7th spells and eldritch strike.

That's not bad then. I'll probably most likely go Human variant Str/Int and probably go Polearm Mastery. If I was expecting to get up to at least level 6 as a Wizard(which is unlikely since I'm jumping ship to Curse of Strahd the VERY SECOND it's AL legal because I LOOOOOOAATTHE OotA with a passion) then I would probably go Necromancer but I'll probably use it as a chance to test out Divination or Abjuration.

Remove ads