D&D 5E Deck of Many Things was worth the wait

OB1

Jedi Master
Got my Deck of Many Things delivered last night, and while I haven't had a chance to dig into it, I've got to say the entire package is simply gorgeous, and I'm glad they delayed the release to fix the issues with the early printing of the cards. Will be digging into the deck and the book over the next few days, but had to express my excitement about it. Hope we see more like this as we move into 5.24!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My copy is waiting for me over at my MiL's. She ordered it for me for XMas before it was delayed so I got a slip of paper in a wrapped box promising it to me. It arrived on Monday but haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet. So I hope the prolonged wait is worth it. ;)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I broke down and bought it. Even though I don't plan to run any D&D games for a while, it is the kind of thing I think I'll enjoy just to read through. After I finish my Warhammer Fantasy Game, I may pick up the 2024 rules revisions and run another 5e campaign. If I do, it would be fun to work this into the campaign.

Clint_L

Hero
How many campaigns are about to get blown up, though? Writing from experience: I got a beautiful Deck of Many Things from Etsy and that campaign was done within four sessions. The party found it, but I had it sealed with sovereign glue so they had to go on a quest to get the solvent...and then that was it. One got super rich, one became a noble, one got sucked into the abyss, and one got trapped in limbo or whatever that card is.

Once I had it, I had to use it. It's the Deck of Many Things curse but in real life!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
How many campaigns are about to get blown up, though? Writing from experience: I got a beautiful Deck of Many Things from Etsy and that campaign was done within four sessions. The party found it, but I had it sealed with sovereign glue so they had to go on a quest to get the solvent...and then that was it. One got super rich, one became a noble, one got sucked into the abyss, and one got trapped in limbo or whatever that card is.

Once I had it, I had to use it. It's the Deck of Many Things curse but in real life!
I started with Fortune telling and charms. There are plenty of ways to use the deck that's isn't THE deck.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Lots of complaining on Amazon on the quality of the cards, box, etc.

Edit: and of course there is another thread on this very issue.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Received my copy in the mail yesterday. Great set. Cards are great, no issues at all. I purchased directly from WotC's store with the DnD Beyond bundle, not from Amazon.

I'm guessing that he folks complaining from Amazon are getting the older copies from either unwitting or unscrupulous sellers.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Lots of complaining on Amazon on the quality of the cards, box, etc.

Edit: and of course there is another thread on this very issue.
Yep. Waiting for Wizards to get back to me about replacing my cards. Of course it had to arrive on the weekend to make my wait as long as possible. :cry:

The product itself is beautiful - just those dang cards are warped!

Angry He Man GIF

OB1

Jedi Master
My cards aren't warped at all, look beautiful. My only complaint so far is that the card reference guide doesn't have include descriptions of what the cards do when pulled from the deck included. Instead I have to dig through the Book of Many things and the DMG. And the worst part is there is PLENTY of room on each page to include that. Just a dumb design decision.

But what is there is just fantastic. Really sparking my imagination on how to use in existing campaigns, run one shots, and I think will become a major part of the next major campaign I'm running once 5.24 comes out.

Remove ads