• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dee or Die!! Do you say dee-6 or die-6?

Do you DEE or DIE?!

• I say DEE-20, DEE-12, DEE-6 etc.

Votes: 578 88.0%
  • I say DIE-20, DIE-12, DIE-6 etc.

Votes: 44 6.7%
  • I say something else (or I'm just trying to be difficult with this poll!)

Votes: 35 5.3%

reanjr

First Post
Harlock said:
Blibdlploop (sp) Now there's a hard one. HellHound can tell us how to pronounce it though.

It's spelled blipdoolpoolp and I pronounce it phonetically. blip-doolp-oolp. I think it adds character to try to say it like you were blowing bubbles, though.

reanjr

First Post
Mercule said:
The oddest I've heard, just for cadence, was one fellow who pronounced paladin, puh-LAD-in (kind like p'Aladdin, but with an even softer first sylable and a stronger second sylable).

I've heard the puhladdin one used often as well. If it had two 'd's in it, I could understand why, but...

reanjr

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
That is odd.

I was in an Oriental Adventures game recently where the DM said "wucksa" for wuxia (should be "woosha", for those who don't know) and who insisted that the word feint had a silent 't'.

I've heard the same feint mispronunciation before. I think it's due to the association of the word feign with feint, since they have similar meanings.

And we're still trying to figure out how to pronounce Cyre from the Eberron setting.

I say Keer.

reanjr said:
drow because I still can't see any reason someone would put a 'w' on the end unless they intended it that way.
[sigh] Believe it or not, it's a relict from a time when [o] was always long. Adding a w, u or other o to the o made it longer; a double o.

Of course, in most modern accents, droh already would be pronounced as a double vowel, like [ou] or [oo].
reanjr said:
Here's one. How do you pronounce daemon? (I'll hold my pronunciation till others get a chance.)
Deemun, or course. That one's not really controversial, there's just a lot of folks who never bothered to check it.

reanjr

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Deemun, or course. That one's not really controversial, there's just a lot of folks who never bothered to check it.

Not controversial no, but one of the most mispronounced words I've ever heard. Especially in the computer world.

The_lurkeR

First Post
Another vote for DEE!

(And since it's come up again... Drow as in blow, crow, flow, grow, know, snow, etc... )

Last edited:

Psimancer

First Post
d6 – dee six

and the others…

archon – ar-kon
balor – bal-lore or bay-lore
barghest – bar-guest
blibdlploop – blib-d’l-ploop (d’l as in puddle)
bullette – boo-lay (or even bull-lay)… I know its ‘wrong’, but its inertia (blame 2E)
catobeplas – ca-tobe-plus
chasm – kaz-m
chimera – ky-mere-ra
chitin – ky-tin / kite-in
chitine – ky-teen
cyre – sire or seer (haven’t decided yet – but need to soon)
daemon – day-mon
drow – rhymes with cow
paladin – pal-a-din… there was a guy at high school that pronounced it p-lad-in…
ixitxachitl – ics-its-a-kit-til (kinda like exits-a-skittle)
yrthak – yer-thak

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads