• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defeated by puzzle - campaign over: Here is the offending puzzle!

This puzzle is:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Roman said:
I do see what you mean, but I also think that the DM expected us to be able to solve the puzzle and merely miscalculated and did not realize just how difficult it would prove to be. I am certainly dissapointed that we failed to solve the puzzle, but I think it was a combination of miscalculation of our abilities at puzzle solving rather than bad DMing if you see what I mean.

This is where I think the game could have been saved. If your DM realized that he miscalculated your ability to solve the puzzle then I think he is justified in tweaking the scenario to give you an out. If the miscalculation was his, then the responsibility to "make it right" is probably also his.

It sounds like pride or obstinance may have been the actual cause of death for this campaign. All that being said, you are the final arbiter of whether the game is fun for you, and if you aren't angry with your DM, then I'm happy for you and wish you many years of fruitful gaming.

Ze

First Post
Roman, have you considered the possibility that NO ANSWER is the right answer?
This could make sense if you think that you're in one of the last rooms before the lich's. If he does not want to be bothered (which is the reason for the monsters gates, I guess), so why placing a puzzle there, if not to stop anyone who makes it until there?
IIRC, you said you have already scanned the room for secret doors. Ok, but what about going through the wall? I mean, you should know where the next corridor is, so why not digging your way through that wall?
Call it lateral thinking if you want... ;)

Last edited:

Dark Dragon

Explorer
arscott said:
Er, your way off on petals. While the means of arriving at the solution might be expressed as a math formula, the solution itself is far less algebraic.

Indeed. Just solved PATR. Thanks guys! I tried to get through Roman's puzzle and instead solved an other one. Fascinating.

Could the puzzle be the two-dimensional layout of a three-dimensional object? Could it fold up into a cube or some other shape? Kind of like in the movie "Contact."

DonTadow

First Post
Roman said:
I do see what you mean, but I also think that the DM expected us to be able to solve the puzzle and merely miscalculated and did not realize just how difficult it would prove to be. I am certainly dissapointed that we failed to solve the puzzle, but I think it was a combination of miscalculation of our abilities at puzzle solving rather than bad DMing if you see what I mean.
I see that, but that's the point as a DM when you begin to fudge. I guess my pet peeve is stubbornness and thats what it sounds like your DM was being. This was his puzzle and the hell with you guys and even fi he did miscalculate and it was too hard, ... you guys were going to solve this puzzle or die. It just leaves a bad pit in my stomach. I'm trying to remember the last situation I've been in like this with a player and it was in a static dungeon with a former DM. Three of us, including myself had dropped and only two remained in the battle. I could see the DM's puzzlement he hoped we would be able to defeat this monster he had created, but did not account that the foul stinch stats that deabilitated our strength would be so devistationg (we all rolled 5< fortitude saves). The campaign ended there and the next week, our hope was that two returning pcs would be able to help, not so. As the fourth member dropped, several of the town guards came and supported us but their heads were decapitated. I believe at this piotn that the DM added the ability for hte monster to teleport to its repitoire with the excuse being it was full and had no reason to be there.

Thisis an example of a DM saving his campaign. I just don't know too many dms who can pull campaigns out of them at a moments notice.

In any case, its neither here nor their. I believe once an answer to this damnning puzzle is given this thread will die in the death that IT DESERVES. So don't wait till friday, call the DM and ask for the solution.

Gruns

Explorer
No answer yet?

This thread is getting too long to remember where I last left off. The contents don't really interest me anymore, however, I must know the solution! (If any).

I'd like to ask that if and when the solution is given, that it be given in it's own thread so I don't have to wade through 10-15+ pages of stuff to find it. *twitch*

Thanks!
Gruns

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Roman said:
Fill the proper symbols into the blanks:

Maybe a different grammar hint. It should be "Fill the proper symbol [singular] into the blanks."

If you can fill in symbols, why not put all three symbols into each blank....

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Gorrstagg said:
I got this great idea.. let's stop going at each other for any reason.. and try to get Roman to use that really cool ancient device ... The Telephone and call his DM and tell him most of the EN world gaming community is starting to froth at the mouth and want the answer..

*hint* *hint* Roman...

pick up the phone.. and call and get the answer.. tell him to email it to you if it's too difficult to explain over the phone..

Yes, call him and tell him that. Be sure to mention that it's roleplayers we're talking about. As we all know, they're a bunch of insane satanists, trafficig with demons and prone to killing people for the most trivial reasons, using swords and the like. :]

Tom Cashel

First Post
I think Roman should be banned if he can't give us the answer.

Just kidding! :D (kind of)

Ze said:
Roman, have you considered the possibility that NO ANSWER is the right answer?

There's only one way to solve a Gordian knot. Hack the bastard in two. :D

Roman said:
We researched the dark temple to a very reasonable degree before delving inside. This research was done through several means, including...paying a 'visit' to the three 'lesser' evil temples of each of the three dark gods (the main evil temple was their combined temple).

Three lesser temples...three symbols on the puzzle.

All three symbols combined into one big picture...within the "big" evil temple that combines aspects of the three lesser faiths into one "uber"faith.

Make the "puzzle" look like the holy symbol of the combined faiths. That's a possible solution, but none of us know what the symbols look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads