Define Core Only for your game

bento

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
Those of you (DMs) who run a Core Only game:

What does “Core Only” mean in the context of your game?

Players - PHB only; DM - PHB, MM, DMG & DMG2

Quasqueton said:
Why do you run Core Only for your game?

I run a college rpg group so we're constantly cycling in new players. It helps ground them with a common set of rules. When we've allowed other books (mostly "Complete" series) I spent way too long rule adjudicating and reading books in the middle of play to help them figure out how their character's class works.

Quasqueton said:
Do you get Players who balk/complain about Core Only? How do you handle such complaints?

Sometimes - but the other players back me up. Peer pressure works well in these circumstances. :]

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Quasqueton said:
Those of you (DMs) who run a Core Only game:

Characters and races from PHB; PrC (if allowed) from the DMG. Monsters from the MM (or Tome of Horrors :))

Less of a chance of finding something 'broken' or outta whack with the core stuff. Less power creep?

Do you get Players who balk/complain about Core Only? How do you handle such complaints?
Quasqueton

Nope. Most all players I play with have been with me since our 1E days. How to handle such complaints (if they arose)? Dragons, demons, lots of something that would stop the complaining really quickly :]

Cedric

First Post
All of the PHB (Race and Base Class must come from the PHB)
PrCs from the DMG (When applicable)
Supporting information from the MM (feats, stat info for summoned animals and for druid's shape shifting).

As to why I would run core only...

When I want the campaign to be more important than the rules. If I have a strong story and that is going to be the concentration of the game...I'd prefer that stats and character optimization take a back seat.

Also, if I'm running something that is different enough from the typical D&D setting (I don't play with published settings, all homebrew), that I want to limit player's options to what's possible for the current game world.

In those instances, I've even limited what can be taken from the core material.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Quasqueton said:

1. Mutants & Masterminds 2e.

2. HERO System 5th Edition.

3. d20 Modern + Blood & Fists + d20 Mecha. The GM isn't limited to these books, and others are available to the players on request.

Quasqueton said:

1. The core book covers almost anything, and anything it doesn't cover pretty much has to be homebrewed anyway.

2. The core book covers bloody EVERYTHING.

3. Most players aren't as familiar with the d20 Modern rules, so there's no reason to overwhelm them; Blood & Fists and d20 Mecha are, IMO, two of the best supplements ever written and are vital to keep the game fresh.

Quasqueton said:

1. Not really. If I did, I'd either show the player how to do his concept using the system or decide I had to homebrew it based on the system.

2. Never. If I did, I'd prove to the player I could do his concept using the system - and I could.

3. Sometimes. I allow what they want if it fits the genre. If not, I suggest they'd be better off playing another game and usually have a list of 2-5 systems in mind.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I didn't run any "core-only games" at this point, but if I did, that's what I'd understand:

Three core rulebooks: PHB, DMG, MM. Period. For character generation and development. No exception.

Why [would] you run Core Only for your game?

It may simplify the game for some players. It's clearer, because there are less references and books to manipulate during the game. It also has a particular flavor, a sort of "return to the basics" kind of appeal.

[Would] you get Players who balk/complain about Core Only? How [would] you handle such complaints?

I don't think the players I game with these days would complain about a core-only game.

If some players complain about a core only game, I don't run it. I change the concept of the campaign. That's Ground Rule #0 : the game's supposed to be fun for everyone. If it isn't, that means I've overlooked something/someone prior to running the game.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Core only in my game means that the only rules needed are the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. Any additional rules are house rules that I go over with the players before the game. D&D was always a game that lent itself to house rules, and the streamlined d20 system makes it even easier to change things. I don't see any reason why house rules wouldn't be part of the core.

I run a core only game largely because of my experiences with 2nd edition. In 2e, I used all of the Complete Handbooks and Player's Option books I could get my hands on. Eventually, I got sick of looking through dozens of books to find the rules, and cut it down to a core only game shortly before 3e came out. I found that any character concept I had under the character kits/Player's Option rules could be replicated using some creativity with just the PHB and DMG. If worse came to worst, I could create a new class using the rules presented in the DMG. 3e provided a lot more flexibility than any previous edition, and the mechanics are streamlined and simple enough to allow for just about anything. I still look through new rulebooks, but I haven't seen anything outside of Action Points that I really think needs to be in my game.

I've never had any complaints about restrictions in my game. If a player is really dead set on using a prestige class or piece of equipment from some other book, I'll consider using it. At the same time, I'll freely throw out things that don't fit into the setting (the dragon disciple got axed for this exact reason).

delericho

Legend
PCs are built using only the PHB, plus the DMG in the case of higher-level PCs (for magic items and PrCs, if used). If using a pregen setting, the core book of that setting is allowed as well.

The DM is unrestricted. I've been using a lot of pregen adventures in the past few years, so if there's something in the adventure that is non-core, I'm not going to not use it just because of that. If the PCs manage to loot something non-core (a new spell, a new magic item), then they get to keep it or sell it on. They don't get to buy new ones. (A wizard can, if he wishes, research a spell from a non-core source, using exactly the same mechanism as for any other researched spell. And he can, of course, create scrolls/potions/wands of any appropriate spell in his books.)

These days, I'm inclined to not run core-only, though. I generally feel that the game works best using a small number of carefully selected supplements. The exact supplements used will vary by campaign, and will be fixed for the duration of the campaign.

maggot

First Post
My core rules only game has the players using only PHB options (no MM races or feats). As DM, magic items and monsters from non-DMG/MM are used sparingly.

Mieric

First Post
Quasqueton said:
1. What does “Core Only” mean in the context of your game?
2. Why do you run Core Only for your game?
3. Do you get Players who balk/complain about Core Only? How do you handle such complaints?

1. PHB for classes & our homebrew world player's guide for races, additional feats, and PrCs. The MMs and DMG are for the DM only.

2. We've been running a custom world for the past 10 or so years - its well developed, some of the original characters are still only around 14th level. The PHB and the custom player's guide fit the setting. Trying to retcon in all the complete books, the races of books, or 3rd party supplements would be a pain in the rear.

3. Only new players, on the rare occasions when we actually invite someone new to participate in our campaign (usually from a one shot or mini campaign we run if someone has expressed interest in playing).

Since we pre-screen our new players via the one shot or mini-campaign they are usually pretty accepting of our restrictions of PHB and player's guide. If they have problems with it, we point to the rows of campaign and character journals that line the bookshelves of the room. If they persist after that - they're quickly uninvited and shown the door ASAP.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
For me, Core Only means that the players are using only the PHB for character creation. I usually ask if people want PrCs in or out, and I've played with PrCs "out", for simplicity.

Now-days I would say Core Only also includes, say, DMG PrCs and applicable feats from the MM, but not Level Adjusted Races and the like. No sub-races, either (of which the elves are broken and the others usually just dumb).

I did this because I ran alot of college games where we drew players from a large pool of Folks I Don't Know. After the first game (seriously) I picked up two really good players that generally stayed with my various games through the rest of the time I was there, but you never knew who'd ask to join.

Why'd I do that because I didn't know the people? I knew the pool. Other folks were running games and I'd hear horror stories about the guy that wanted to play the Vow Of Poverty Feral Anthro-Bahleen Whale Monk or vampires or the guy that carried his Oriental Adventures book everywhere and wanted to play characters from it. Generally players who figured they could outsmart the game and the GM and "win" or whatnot ... usually they were outsmarting themselves more than anything, but explaining the rules to some guy intent on playing a mish-mash rule-breaking character isn't on my list of Things I Want To Do This Session. By stripping things down, people actually played the friggin' game ... some of those guys with the bizzare characters had never played a single-class core-race character, and found the game much more enjoyable for not being buttheads. Othertimes it just weeded out the buttheads.

And I think the game can be perfectly fun, interesting, and fulfilling without additional splatbooks. If I didn't, I'd probably not have bought it.

If playing with, say, my current group ... I'd be generally cool with them playing whatever they wanted to play, since I'd trust them not to be trying to be buttheads but have a keen concept they want to play.

I've had people who balked. Usually they came around to my way of thinking soon enough, or decided not to play. The guy who decides he'd rather not play a game because he can't have some obscure race/class/feat is probably the guy I was going to have "issues" with at the table anyway. It never made the game less-than-fun to play core.

--fje

Remove ads