Define Core Only for your game

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I've never run a "Core-only" game and phrased it that way. As others have said above, when I make restrictions I play a "Core-only. PCs from PHB and DMG NPC classes if desired. PrCs from DMG only" game. If I'm restricting, I want to restrict out playable races from the MM as well.

However, if I heard a DM merely say that a game is CORE only and that's all that they said, in my opinion it would be very proper to ask what level and then include races from the MM and their printed LAs and HD.

Henry

Autoexreginated
When I have run core only (not currently, but in the past I have) I've meant the three books, and extra material that I've injected. The extra material was pretty rare, however.

EDIT: I take that back -- it was the big three (PH,DMG,MM) plus the setting book for whatever campaign setting I was running (Some of Monte Cook's stuff for a homebrew I was running, the FRCS for a Forgotten Realms game, and the ECS for the Eberron game we were running). Past that, only extra materials I injected personally, like a new spell in a captured spellbook/scroll, or a feat taught by a fighting instructor, or something similar.

Last edited:

SWBaxter

First Post
The only time I've made that type of restriction, it's been on character generation/advancement options and spells available. So to me, "core only" means something like: use the PHB plus prestige/NPC classes from the DMG (if so inclined) to build your character. If I'm allowing non-PHB races from the MM, chances are I would open the door on more class options, so that wouldn't be part of my "core only" game. When coming up with monsters/magic items/etc. I don't intentionally restrict myself to the three core books - sometimes it works out that that's all I use, but I always reserve the freedom to go beyond 'em if and when I deem it necessary.

However, I hardly ever run D&D as "core only", there's stuff from other books I almost always include in my D&D games - the Bard and new feats and spells from the Complete Book of Eldritch Might, the Cloistered Cleric, Aspect of Nature Druid and Racial Paragon Classes from Unearthed Arcana, and prestige classes and feats from a few different sources. Nothing too terribly out there, just stuff that I think is well enough done to use in addition to or instead of the PHB equivalents.

Core Rules Only?

That means the game is run with the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual, as written and printed. Don't brandish a pile of FAQ entries, errata, this month's version of Polymorph, web articles or other addendums at me. I'll go by the books I have here, if something is clearly in error or a ruling has to be made, I'll make it, and if somebody wants to suggest that an "official" ruling has been made, I'll take it under advisement.

That means a player can play the game bringing only the PHB, but it might be easier if they brought the DMG and MM with them too, especially if they have a PrC, lots of magic items, or are a summoner or shapeshifter. If something is in the SRD (which I also see as kinda being the core rules) but not the core-3 books, then it might be allowed if they bring a printout, and can argue that it really fits their character concept or the setting, or can otherwise justify it strongly.

That means PC's are made only with the three core books. They can take the PrC's in the DMG, and Leadership. As the DM I pretty much keep things to the core books too, only going for exotic monsters or spells or classes for NPC's in rare and special circumstances, like the BBEG might have a non-core PrC (or might be an Epic character in a high-level game) or a plot point might hinge on a non-core spell or item. Things from the SRD that aren't in the core-3 might show up rarely, but they are in the DM's arsenal.

PC's could theoretically have races out of the MM that gives them an LA/ECL, but only if it's from the MM, and it fits with the level they could begin the PC's at, and any campaign-specific restrictions.

I don't really buy the whole "Only the Player's Handbook for PC's, everything else is the DM's" mentality, the rules are spread out enough over the system that the PHB is mostly the rules for players, but some rules elements needed for players are in other books because they are more complicated and best of kept out of the PHB for simplicity's sake for beginning players, or more often to be used by DM's and kept there to prevent redundancy in the books.

RSKennan

Explorer
I define it as follows:

Players use the PHB, the DM uses the MM and DMG, unless a player has an animal companion or summons creatures (in which case I let them use the MM), or we're starting at above 1st level (in which case I let the players choose their items.)

I generally don't run core-only games though- usually it's core plus MMs 2 and 3, along with material that I've written myself and very rarely, something else from another source that I approve. I'll work with a player to write up feats, PrCs, or whatever else he or she wants, as long as it fits the game.

Crysmalon

Explorer
No such thing in my game except most everything goes from:
- PHB
- DMG
- Arcana Evolved

After that it's DM approval and working w/player.

PH, DMG

In my years as a DM I have found that in almost every case of a player wanting to play a non-core class or rule they don't know the class or rule very well, they focus on the "cool" aspects of the class/rule and seem to forget any limitations. This always slows the game down.

Remathilis

Legend
My CURRENT game?

- PHB, DMG, MM, SC, ELH, HoH, HoB, MM2, MM3, FF, CW, CA, CD, CAd, RoS, RotW, RoD, RoDr, A&EG, PHB2, LM, Draco, LoM, XPH, CP, Sand, Frost, Storm, DMG2 (Still on the fence about ToM, ToB, MM4, DM, MoI) No Eberron, Dragonlance, or Realms.

Now, if I was to run a traditional "core only" game, I'd limit it to the PHB, DMG, MM. I might create a list of 10 or so feats and 5-6 prcs from other books, but thats it. Even the deities from the PH. In addition, I'd try to keep to DMG treasure and MM monsters only. Only fair, IMHO.

BTW: Major props to anyone who can name every book I mentioned. A hint: they are all Wizards books.

Zweihänder

First Post
Remathilis said:
My CURRENT game?

- PHB, DMG, MM, SC, ELH, HoH, HoB, MM2, MM3, FF, CW, CA, CD, CAd, RoS, RotW, RoD, RoDr, A&EG, PHB2, LM, Draco, LoM, XPH, CP, Sand, Frost, Storm, DMG2 (Still on the fence about ToM, ToB, MM4, DM, MoI) No Eberron, Dragonlance, or Realms.

*snip*

BTW: Major props to anyone who can name every book I mentioned. A hint: they are all Wizards books.

Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Sword Coast (not certain on that one), Epic Level Handbook, Heroes of Horror, Heroes of Battle, Monster Manual 2, Monster Manual 3, Fang and Fur (I could be totally making that one up), Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Adventurer, Races of Stone, Races of the Wild, Races of Destiny, Races of the Dragon, Arms and Equipment Guide, Player's Handbook 2, Litigant Mage (making that one up), Draconomicon, Lords of Madness, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Psionic, Sandstorm, Frostburn, Stormwrack, Dungeon Master's Guide 2, Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, Monster Manual 4, Dragon Magic, and Magic of Incarnum.

Dracorat

First Post
The term "Core Only" is open to too much interpretation. It is better to just be specific about what you allow and don't allow.

Remove ads