Define Core Only for your game

der_kluge

Adventurer
I "prefer" to run a core game, but I'll allow anything from any other source, so long as I approve it.

I have a Marshall (Miniatures handbook), a Knight (PHB2), a Scout (Complete Adventurer), A Cloistered Cleric (Unearthed Arcana), and a Master of Shrouds (Libris Mortis) all in my game.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Olgar summed it up nicely for me. The game would just be unmanageable for my own DMing style otherwise. In my game I do try and take out none core base classes written into modules, if they aren't relevant. But I do like to play with and include some of those funky houserules he mentioned too. My excuse it they open doors and fix a few mistakes rather than alter the fundamentals.

For example,
I allow "magic" using profession and craft skills without the spellcasting prerequisite. Now I can add any variety of hedge wizard without it getting out of hand. (door opener)
Exotic weapons are broken into Cultural or Exotic; cultural being martial weapons unknown at start and exotic those that actually have a payoff for the feat to use. (door opener and mistake fixer)

reanjr

First Post
PHB only. Anything else is on a case by case basis, and often rejected. Depending on the campaign, might also include custom material or pulled material specifically designed or used for the mood.

When I do it, it's for keeping the game simple and creating the right type action.

Sometimes I get a mumbled complaint or two near the beginning of a campaign, but no more than that.

Zweihänder

First Post
Remathilis said:
Oooh... so close...

Thats all of them!

Major props to Odhanan also for getting them all on the first try!

I don't know how I missed Spell Compendium or Fiend Folio, since I OWN them. Also, Libris Mortis is my best friend's favorite book...

Weird.

Remove ads