Define some genres

JPL said:
Then I can dig it.

Test that hypothesis, JD. Gimmee a f'rinstance.
I was thinking something more along the lines of Enter the Dragon but having Bruce Lee be the minor character and Kareem Abdul Jabar being the hero. Set in Harlem or Detroit, of course. BLAXSOCKY.

D'oh! Not fast enough apparently...

Last edited:

JPL

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
I was thinking something more along the lines of Enter the Dragon but having Bruce Lee be the minor character and Kareem Abdul Jabar being the hero. Set in Harlem or Detroit, of course. BLAXSOCKY.

D'oh! Not fast enough apparently...

Jim Kelly, from "Enter the Dragon", is the epitome of the blaxploitation-kung fu connection. In a just world, he would've been a much bigger star.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Guys, you're freaking me out. It's like you're having all the good ideas I haven't got around to having yet.

How can I possibly run all these games? It's unfair!

Mm, New Mutants. I used to have Sienkiwicz' entire run of that book. Cannonball. Sunspot. Wasn't Illyana in there, too? Geez, and then the Arthur Adams crossover where they went to Asgard? And didn't Longshot show up at some point?

Sheesh.

But for more Teen Power goodness, check out Volcano High, one of the coolest films ever made. Korean teens with super-powers battling to see which club gets to be in charge -- only to be overpowered by the substitute teachers! Man.

JPL

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
Mm, New Mutants. I used to have Sienkiwicz' entire run of that book. Cannonball. Sunspot. Wasn't Illyana in there, too? Geez, and then the Arthur Adams crossover where they went to Asgard? And didn't Longshot show up at some point?

Illyana, yes. And Warlock. But no Longshot --- he showed up in X-Men awhile later.

shadow

First Post
I've been working on a homebrew campaign for some time. The campaign is pulp/sci-fi and a genre that I call GAS-PUNK.

GAS-PUNK is essentially steampunk with the pseudo-technological timeline moved foward about 30 or 40 years. Imagine all the fantastic inventions of steampunk powered by the internal combustion engine rather than steam. It is basically steampunk style inventions using 1920s and 30s technology.

How about a combination of Robin Hood and the Duke's of Hazard? Little John jumping Friar Tuck's cart over the river while the Sherriff of Nottingham and his deputies continually don't make it and cause slow motion splashes, to much cliched hilarity. You could call the genre MEDIEVAL KNIEVEL.

JPL

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
How about a combination of Robin Hood and the Duke's of Hazard? Little John jumping Friar Tuck's cart over the river while the Sherriff of Nottingham and his deputies continually don't make it and cause slow motion splashes, to much cliched hilarity. You could call the genre MEDIEVAL KNIEVEL.

I like that. And it reminds me of another unjustly neglected genre...STUNTPUNK.

Characteristics: The adventures of stuntmen / daredevils doing daring deeds of derring-do, both for Hollywood/giant stadiums of screaming adrenaline junkies, and in the furtherance of real-life adventures. As in TEAMPUNK, it's all about providing a plot where the deed of athleticism and derring-do becomes essential. Very cinematic --- anything that would look good in a movie --- pre-CGI! --- is fair game for the PCs

Examples: "The Fall Guy," the old Hanna-Barbara cartoon "Devlin", the seventies Marvel Comic "The Human Fly."

Jackie Chan movies are great inspiration too --- just imagine a campaign where the heroes are members of a "Jackie Chan Stunt Team"-type organization, and do action movie stunts in Hong Kong and L.A. You got your martial arts, your crazy stunts, and potential for big-city private eye-type adventures.

[Someone call Ray Park and Russell Wong --- I think I got a pitch for a TV show here. Sounds like the perfect thing for Saturday afternoons on WGN.]

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Heck, watching you two bat this ball back and forth is more fun than any TV show.

And the statement "Jackie Chan movies are great inspiration" is ALWAYS true. Word.

What about

TRUCKER: THE CAVALCADE?

Players aren't necessarily truckers (though full stats for Mack and International Harvester trucks of course will filll pages in the sourcebook), but they're on the truckers' side as honest, ferociously independent citizens' band radio using folk cruise the highways of 1970's America, keeping the Bandit at bay.

"10:4, good buddy."

Available feats obviously include "Primate Companion" and "Distracting Anatomy".

barsoomcore said:
Players aren't necessarily truckers (though full stats for Mack and International Harvester trucks of course will filll pages in the sourcebook), but they're on the truckers' side as honest, ferociously independent citizens' band radio using folk cruise the highways of 1970's America, keeping the Bandit at bay.
And it's only a step away from Cannonball Run d20. I like it.

Remove ads