• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Define some genres

d4

First Post
JPL said:
The Breakfast Club looks like a PC group to me, man.
oh totally. they all start off having absolutely nothing in common and not liking each other, but they all stick together and help each other out anyways. :)

JPL said:
Now someone cross blaxploitation and Lovecraft. Think "Tales from The Hood", I guess, but with more tentacles. And remember, Lovecraft's writing is full of racism and "impure bloodlines" and such. It writes itself, boys.
Boyz 'n tha Mountains of Madness?

this reminds me of a game they used to play on the old GURPS newsgroup. take any three GURPS books at random and make a campaign out of them.

some are easy: GURPS Japan + GURPS Dinosaurs + GURPS Atomic Horror = GURPS Godzilla!

others are a lot harder: GURPS Aztecs + GURPS Vikings + GURPS China = the weirdest "alternate history" Americas ever, as Cortez discovers Leif Erickson and Cheng He got to Tenotichtlan first!

and i'm not even going to attempt GURPS Bunnies & Burrows + GURPS Autoduel + GURPS Voodoo.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Tonguez said:
JunkYard Wars (or Scrapheap Challenge, or even Monster Garage)

Have you seen the show? Two teams in a Junkyard compete to salvage junk and build machines so that they can face off in a final showdown. Now imagine that the War is real and the Junkyard is the whole world!

Ooh! I like that! A tinker's paradise!

How about SPORT PUNK! Inspired by the Tony Hawk series and similar games like Matt Hoffman's BMX, Toxic Grind, etc. Spend your days tricking around and showing up your rivals.

And for some real spice, SPORT JUNK PUNK! In a post apocalyptic world covered in the wreckage of past glory, the talented few able to rebuild things create junk constructs and tyrannize the people. The defenders, no match for the things in hand to hand combat, rely on their specially made (possibly enchanted) skateboards and their wits to fight the man!

Last edited:

Chaldfont

First Post
barsoomcore said:
What about

TRUCKER: THE CAVALCADE?

Ever since I played a martial artist trucker loosely based on Jack in "Big Trouble in Little China" in a one-shot game, I have wanted to have a campaign where each trucking company has it's own dojo and all the truckers are secretly blackbelts, protecting the world from evil.

Of course there would be ninjas. And smokies. And fights on top of moving semi trailers. All at the same time.

Asmor

First Post
Chaldfont said:
Ever since I played a martial artist trucker loosely based on Jack in "Big Trouble in Little China" in a one-shot game, I have wanted to have a campaign where each trucking company has it's own dojo and all the truckers are secretly blackbelts, protecting the world from evil.

Of course there would be ninjas. And smokies. And fights on top of moving semi trailers. All at the same time.

Very nice! But set it during the Cold War and, of course, Russian Spy Ninjas!

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
How about combining Lovecraft (always a good start) with John Hughes 80s teen flicks?

PRETTY IN THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE.

Make a Sanity check; James Spader just tried to convince you that he's a teenager. ;)

Ooo! Mix it with Mexican wrestling tho CoC already did that in Blood Brothers 2(?) with the El Tigre adventure.

'My gawd! My gawd! El Tigre just powerbombed Cthulhu through the Spanish announce table! It looks like Little Missy's going for her top rope finisher, the Sweet 16!'
'PUPPIES!'
'Oh grow up King. She's young enough to be your daughter, maybe even your granddaughter.'
'So? It didn't stop Jerry Lee Lewis or J. Howard Marshall. Besides, you're only as young as the woman you feel.'
'You need a cold shower. Uh oh. Business is about to pick up. Something cleared out the lockerroom and everyone's rushing towards the ring, screaming at the top of their lungs.'
'Oooo. No wonder. Here comes trouble. Ol' Squidhead's posse, the Elder Gods.'
'We're in for a real slobberknocker.'
'With all the sanity loss, there'll definitely be a lot of slobbering going on, JR.'

Ok, maybe not. :p

Edit: Changed the dialogue a tad.

Last edited:

Impeesa

Explorer
JPL said:
Then I can dig it.

Test that hypothesis, JD. Gimmee a f'rinstance.

Oh, here's one --- COWSPLOITATION. Black Western. "Posse" with Mario Van Peebles is the best example --- cowboy action, but also some social and historical commentary, and with an "outlaw" feel that John Shaft would appreciate.

[Now that I mention it...Richard Roundtree has played a cowboy a time or two...]

You know, that reminds me of an idea I came up with not too long ago for a game.... GRAND THEFT HOSS. Shoot hookers, run from cops, and steal horses... in the wild west. :D

--Impeesa--

bodhi

First Post
JPL said:
Oh, here's one --- COWSPLOITATION. Black Western. "Posse" with Mario Van Peebles is the best example --- cowboy action, but also some social and historical commentary, and with an "outlaw" feel that John Shaft would appreciate.

How could you not mention Blazing Saddles here? :)

bodhi

First Post
Asmor said:
Wuxiasploitation? A bunch of kung-fu-kickin' Shaft-Bruce Lee amalgamations? Hell yeah.

You mean "Bruce Leroy". (The Last Dragon)

You possess the power / of the glow!
THE GLOOOOOOOOWWWOWOWOWOW!

Remove ads