Define some genres

How about combining Lovecraft (always a good start) with John Hughes 80s teen flicks?

PRETTY IN THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE.

Make a Sanity check; James Spader just tried to convince you that he's a teenager. ;)

Dark Jezter

First Post
We could always combine "The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert" with our favorite RPG system to create...

DUNGEONS & DRAG QUEENS

What luck! The random treasure roll just gave Hugo Weaving a +5 sequined pettycoat. :D

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Joshua Dyal said:
And it's only a step away from Cannonball Run d20. I like it.
It's just damn spooky at times. I meant to include a note about how it can include "Cross-Country Improbable Race" expansion sets...

Turanil

First Post
GRIMM TALES:
Hensel is a strong hero (albeit a very young one) and Grethel is a dedicated heroine (albeit a very young one). Beware of the hag who lives in the cake and candy mansion, because they could have to make a sanity check when discovering that she really is a spawn of Shub Niggurath. Fortunately, Hensel was able to trade his shortsword for a shotgun.

JPL

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
It's just damn spooky at times. I meant to include a note about how it can include "Cross-Country Improbable Race" expansion sets...

Have you seen Polyhedron's "Thunderball Rally" minigame?

Some great genre notes, and a Suggested Viewing list full of orangutans, redneck sheriffs, and old-school seventies-style blondes.

JPL

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
How about combining Lovecraft (always a good start) with John Hughes 80s teen flicks?

PRETTY IN THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE.

Make a Sanity check; James Spader just tried to convince you that he's a teenager. ;)

LOVECRAFTIAN RINGWALDPUNK.

Or HUGHESTHULU.

Somewhere in the Chicago suburbs dwell Things High Schoolers Were Not Meant to Know.

The Breakfast Club looks like a PC group to me, man.

Now someone cross blaxploitation and Lovecraft. Think "Tales from The Hood", I guess, but with more tentacles. And remember, Lovecraft's writing is full of racism and "impure bloodlines" and such. It writes itself, boys.

Last edited:

Kaleon Moonshae

When TrueNight falls
you're right

Samothdm said:
[THREAD HIJACK]Doom Patrol back in the '60s was Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl, and the Chief. I don't remember a team with werevolves and such.[/THREAD HIJACK]

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. Good topic!

[thread hyjack]

You're right, Ialways got these two groups mixed up when I was a kid because of the robot. The comic he is thinking of was "The Creature Commandos" from DC. It was hard finding info on them since they were not very popular. They were soldiers in world war II.

Hope this helps someone out there, I spent a couple hours at work trying to figure out exactly what that comic was if not doom patrol.

This thread rocks.

GUN FOOD
Iron Chef, John Woo style. Sort of a spin on TEAMPUNK, as each chef’s team, besides creating inventive culinary creations, would also fight crime/demons/robot gourmands/what have you. Slo-mo slicing and dicing. Sizzling saute in the rain. Gun-battles blasting ingredients into the air. Foes circle in a Mexican standoff with cleavers poised at each others’ throats.

Out Cold

First Post
Here's my small contribution :

Lovecraft + Muscle Car =

1976 : The stars are right

In the bleak retro-future, Chtulu minion have finally arrived around the great midland of the USA. Brining devastation,madness and somehow learning to drive cars. Battle horrid thing that should not be with your souped-up, home tuned Chevy Cobra or Orange Mustang. Try to outrun Azatoth growing destruction. Bust Deep one hybrid and their fish minivan with .50 machine gun fire. Rocket Galore in the face of Nyarlathotep. Investigate the mystery of devastated city or take part in the eternal quest for gas ! Spells that repair engine at the cost of sanity ! Hand to hand fighting against punk Yog Shottoth worshipper ! All mixed up on a soundtrack of great rock and roll.

Leave your tires skid marks in the face of the ancient gods.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
JunkYard Wars (or Scrapheap Challenge, or even Monster Garage)

Have you seen the show? Two teams in a Junkyard compete to salvage junk and build machines so that they can face off in a final showdown. Now imagine that the War is real and the Junkyard is the whole world!

Remove ads