Define some genres

Fate Lawson

First Post
d4 said:
TURBANPUNK?

SCIMITAR-FU?

my one great dream for many years has been to run a campaign based on the 1001 Arabian Nights and the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies -- remade today as high-octane wire-fu computer graphics FX-laden action movies.

flying carpets, mad genies, creepy Assassins, power-mad eunuch warlocks, whirling dervishes, alluring harem girls, and lots of flashing scimitar action.

d4, that sounds just like the Dog House Gangs weekly fantasy game. A little something we call "The 5 Sultanates". Flying carpets (check), mad genies (check), creepy Assassins (check), power-mad eunuch warlocks (check), whirling dervishes (check), alluring harem girls (check), and lots of flashing scimitar action, PLUS animistic spirits galore, katana-wielding barbarian elvish totem warriors, cloud-walking wuixian rogues wielding twin-ancestral-swords, foo-lions, Rocs, crazy sultans, giants with mechanical familiars, power-mad rakshasas threating world domination, long dead lizard-man mummies, and one large raging, talking dog with a fervent wish to fly.

Think Gregory Keyes Waterborn/Black God novels meet the 1001 Nights of Harryhausen.

Ohh, and 500 yrs later is an era we have dubbed "The Pulpinates". Fewer spirits and less magic, but add in Zeppelins and Firearms and sprinkle with late-victorian and roaring twenties style culture.

Loads of fun!

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
How about a rebirth of masked Mexican wrestling movies? El Santo! Mil Mascaras! Rey Misterio! El Tigre y La Piramede de Destruccion! Make 'em into a new Scooby Doo Detective Agency or monster hunters or international superspies.

Nuclear Platypus said:
How about a rebirth of masked Mexican wrestling movies? El Santo! Mil Mascaras! Rey Misterio! El Tigre y La Piramede de Destruccion! Make 'em into a new Scooby Doo Detective Agency or monster hunters or international superspies.

HELL F***IN' YEAH!!!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Where would something like Surf/Skate Punk fit - you know urban youth (with machine guns) against the system who just wanna catch some tube or grind a curb dude!

You know the genre that spawned Surf Nazis Must Die! and games like Skate or Die! I suppose Rollerball could be squeezed into the Genre too (at a stretch maybe)

Actually TROMA could pretty much be its own genre too

oh as to the Wrestling Genre - try the TROMA movie Ferocious Female Freedom Fighters

Reni and Mia live in the violent world of illegal gambling and female wrestling, a world which is ruled by an evil syndicate. Beaten, abused and ravaged by their captors, they’re now Ferocious Female Freedom Fighters!!!

Organized crime, female wrestlers and gun battles. Who could ask for anything more?

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
I think we need to start a petition demanding that WotC hire JPL as the designer of their next campaign setting. Between Dinopirates of Ninja Island and Trenchcoat: The Katanaing, this guy is a creative genius! :cool:

Here are a couple of genre ideas of my own:

Gunfight at the Kung-Fu Corral: In the Old West, cowboys have gunfights with the outlaws using high-flying wire effects and bullet time. The participants of these old west shootouts backflip, cartwheel, run along walls, jump from rooftop to rooftop, shoot while standing from the back of a moving horse, and employ martial arts moves when their guns run out of ammo. When swords are used, they are cavalry sabers rather than katanas.

Wigpunk: Jane Austin meets William Gibson. In a dystopian Victorian England, fractious youths with spiky wigs and purple blush serve as countercultural antiheroes who seek to overthrow the aristocracy.

JPL

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
I also remember a comic series (can't remember the name) which featured Medusa, Frankenstein and a Werewolf as 'good guys'-um...

That would be "Creature Commandos." It was given a Stargate-flavored modern revamp a few years back.

JPL

Adventurer
Prince of Happiness said:
Punkpunk?

Gritty urban (or rural) setting where punks battle Nazis, corrupt police, Commies, Leftists, Rightists, Middle-of-the-Roadists, other punks, other urban "tribes," bystanders innocent and not-so-innocent, posers, artists, rich people, poor people, saints, angels, demons, devils, and monsters, er, anything that walks...basically, all to the sounds of Punk Rock(TM).

Punk: The Curbstomping.

Heh.

Reminds me of the eighties videos like Quiet Riot's "The Wild and the Young", where Big Brother / The Man was trying to stop us from rockin' out in this Orwellian dystopia. Damn you, Tipper Gore!

Having just watched "The 40 Greatest Hair Bands" and "100 Greatest Metal Moments", I could totally imagine a campaign like this, maybe set in an alternate 2087 where the Man has been trying to stop us from rockin' and make us conform for 100 years. But the Metal Underground keeps hope alive, and sings the sacred songs of freedom and rebellion...

Asmor

First Post
Chaldfont said:
THE GOTHFATHER

I was thinking of running an adventure pitting wiseguys versus vampires. Wouldn't it be fun to play Anthony Soprano beating the heck out of pretentious angsty Anne Rice/WoD blood suckers? Or maybe the gangsters just mistook Vampire LARPers for real vampires. Ooops...

Actually, Vampires can make pretty good mobsters... Clan Novel: Giovanni was quite a good read (The Giovanni are essentially the mobster clan of V:tM Vampires, hailing from old world Italian blood and having their hand in all sorts of organized crime).

How about SUPER TEEN! Inspired by such cartoons as Teen Titans and X-Men Evolution, a group of super-powered teens not only fight crime and come to grips with their burgeoning power, but also fight acne and come to grips with their burgeoning hormones!

JPL said:
Heh.

Reminds me of the eighties videos like Quiet Riot's "The Wild and the Young", where Big Brother / The Man was trying to stop us from rockin' out in this Orwellian dystopia. Damn you, Tipper Gore!

Having just watched "The 40 Greatest Hair Bands" and "100 Greatest Metal Moments", I could totally imagine a campaign like this, maybe set in an alternate 2087 where the Man has been trying to stop us from rockin' and make us conform for 100 years. But the Metal Underground keeps hope alive, and sings the sacred songs of freedom and rebellion...
Dude! I totally remember that video, now that you mention it. Hehe, that sounds like fun.

JPL

Adventurer
Asmor said:
How about SUPER TEEN! Inspired by such cartoons as Teen Titans and X-Men Evolution, a group of super-powered teens not only fight crime and come to grips with their burgeoning power, but also fight acne and come to grips with their burgeoning hormones!

Very nice. You can dig out your old issues of "New Mutants", too. If you have old issues of "New Mutants."

And I do.

Remove ads