Deity Ranks: Quasideities, Lesser Deities, Greater Deities

the Jester

Legend
BARF! The Gawds are not toys powered by their batteries( worshipers). I remember that article and it was one of silliest serious articles Dragon published.

Clearly, that's a matter of taste. I loved that article, love the interdependence of worshiper and deity, and even used a thing in my 2e game where a pc found the shade of a lost god, became her sole worshiper, and actively tracked the mana he gave to her and she gave back.

EDIT: There's a truly epic fantasy series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen, that really runs with this trope, too, though it isn't obvious until fairly late in the series just how much influence worshipers have on their deities.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Clearly, that's a matter of taste. I loved that article, love the interdependence of worshiper and deity, and even used a thing in my 2e game where a pc found the shade of a lost god, became her sole worshiper, and actively tracked the mana he gave to her and she gave back.

EDIT: There's a truly epic fantasy series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen, that really runs with this trope, too, though it isn't obvious until fairly late in the series just how much influence worshipers have on their deities.

Quoted for excellent example of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I really have to get around to buying those books. Do they have ebundle deals on the Malazan Series?

I saw that Google play has the entire series for @ $80.

Mass market paperbacks seem to be around eight bucks US, so since there are ten in the series, the ebook bundle seems cheaper than hardcover and equivalent to mass market paperback.

gyor

Legend
I saw that Google play has the entire series for @ $80.

Mass market paperbacks seem to be around eight bucks US, so since there are ten in the series, the ebook bundle seems cheaper than hardcover and equivalent to mass market paperback.

Thanks.

Remove ads