• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deitys and Apologies

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Yes, that's true, but our argument addresses the core definition, which is what we've been rambling about for a while.
Can't you just quote the RAW and be done with it? PHB, page one hundred something, just a few pages after 100 if I recall correctly.

To return to the OP, a deity may be more likely to reward a mortal for loyalty and suffering than "appologize", which in my mind the only difference if if the deity claims some sort of responsability for the mortal's suffering and indecates some form of regret.

Dozen

First Post
Can't you just quote the RAW and be done with it?
I'd like to think that's what I did. Did I not? T-T
To return to the OP, a deity may be more likely to reward a mortal for loyalty and suffering than "appologize", which in my mind the only difference if if the deity claims some sort of responsability for the mortal's suffering and indecates some form of regret.
Huh. That makes a lot of sense. I guess making up for the mistake without admitting it outright is still admirable. I might make use of this in a future campaign, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Omegaxicor

First Post
I have looked through the books that I have and I can't find the part that says the deities don't interfere in mortal affairs but I can't find any evidence that the gods wander the world among mortals (except for Fharlanghn who is the god of wandering) but if they do then they wouldn't be as arrogant as I thought.

I agree with the other posters though they may reward the PCs "Faith" but never apologise

Greenfield

Adventurer
I have looked through the books that I have and I can't find the part that says the deities don't interfere in mortal affairs but I can't find any evidence that the gods wander the world among mortals (except for Fharlanghn who is the god of wandering) but if they do then they wouldn't be as arrogant as I thought.

I agree with the other posters though they may reward the PCs "Faith" but never apologise
I'm sorry, I thought I said that this was the view used in our games. It's sort of a house rule, an explanation of why the gods don't just step in all the time.

You're free to run your games any way you like. We just found that a convenient way to explain why the gods aren't more directly involved in these missions.

On a slightly related theme, Roger Zelazney edited a fun little compilation called "Ever After" that might give you a good laugh.

Some gods have the prime material plane listed as their home plane! He says consulting 2nd edition Planescape poster on the subject. Of course the gods interact with mortals.
Back on topic I see no reason why a god can't apologise to a mortal, after all they're gods they can do what they like, I thought the O.P's descriptive scene was an elegant piece, personally (Cool story bro, and I do mean that in a joking but non sarcastic way).

P.S I don't like this enworld text editor very much.

Drowbane

First Post
Heh. Diet god. Wish I could give you xp for that one.

Why is everyone so fuzzy about what Good means? If you have no concern for people other than your peeps, you are only Neutral at best. Good guys may play around with their pawns, sure, but they take care of them when they do so.
Unlike you. Get a checkup. Don't cripple toys on purpose, that's sick. Your metaphor doesn't help it either. And what kind of idiot lets a kid hold a loaded BB gun?

Which is why the Good gods (dragons, races in general) are far less interesting to DM or interact with than the Neutral or Evil gods (etc). :p

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Can't argue with that. For the most part. Chaotic Good dragons are classy.

ranging off subject a bit... Dragons in my campaigns are not "color-coded for your convenience". The last dragon the party fought was a Huge black scaled beast with a swim speed (like blacks) and with the BW and immunities of reds.

Oh and dragons tend to be Neutral Evil.

Last edited:

Remove ads