Demonomicon - after the big 14?

Who should be the subject of a Demonomicon article after the "big 14" are finished?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hey, that's encouraging! i hope they do pick it up then. :)

it'll be cool to see what you're thinking of for #359 - maybe some info on several different lords rather than just a lot on one guy? in some ways that would be better, even though the level of detail is awesome when you single out one lord. :) if you do do it that way, then if WotC picks up the series again you can always flesh them out fully later.

Voadam

Legend
Demonomicon type articles could be done for a bunch of demons (Orcus, Demogorgon, others) under the OGL. Doing it without reference to any D&D history or proprietary characters would be fine as was done with many demons and devils in the Book of Fiends. Using references to D&D specific stuff or non-open D&D mechanics would create issues.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Demonomicon type articles could be done for a bunch of demons (Orcus, Demogorgon, others) under the OGL. Doing it without reference to any D&D history or proprietary characters would be fine as was done with many demons and devils in the Book of Fiends. Using references to D&D specific stuff or non-open D&D mechanics would create issues.

For any of the well known abyssal lords though, writing a Demonomicon style article on them without including references to D&D history, past lore, links to other proprietary characters, etc wouldn't be worth it IMO, and on some level it might even be farcical. I'd rather have Orcus and Obox-Ob rather than Dorcus and Bizzarox-Ob, if I can use my daily share of hyperbole.

For newly created lords, or those with little to no detail on them already beyond a name, it still would come off as slightly awkward because of a lack of any connection to the full body of lore regarding the Abyss, its major races, major personalities, etc. At some point it ceases to be the same Abyss if you can't talk about anything in that shared setting because of IP issues.

The level of quality I've come to expect from James would make me pay attention to such a thing, but anyone else trying the same probably would have a harder road to getting me to look at it.

Last edited:

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Voadam said:

I'd absolutely love to do some Demonomicon type articles for lesser-known or brand new demons, but I have no interest in doing a OGL Orcus or Demogorgon. The attraction to me of writing these articles is precisely the long history these demons have had in D&D and the interactions with other elements of the game. And of course... an OGL version couldn't be called the "Demonomicon" either, which is sad. So here's hoping that the series can continue on to whatever WotC has planned next!

coyote6

Adventurer
If there are any decision-influencing people from WotC's marketing/"Digital Initiative"/whatever unit, I'd just like to say that getting James, Erik, & co. to continue the Demonomicon articles would practically guarantee getting some of my money for the endeavor, at least.

Throw in a good continuation of Core Beliefs (including maybe the whole expanded pantheon -- Trithereon, etc.), and I'd have to curse y'all for taking my money. Again.

:D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
James Jacobs said:
I'd absolutely love to do some Demonomicon type articles for lesser-known or brand new demons, but I have no interest in doing a OGL Orcus or Demogorgon. The attraction to me of writing these articles is precisely the long history these demons have had in D&D and the interactions with other elements of the game. And of course... an OGL version couldn't be called the "Demonomicon" either, which is sad. So here's hoping that the series can continue on to whatever WotC has planned next!

very wise - glad to hear you'd be interested in continuing the series. :) in the WotC interview, i think i saw that some columns from the mags were going to be continued, so there is at least some slim hope...

Voadam

Legend
I've used d20 non-WotC D&D stuff on demons and devils in my game, Book of Fiends, Tome of Horrors, Dice Freaks, even Encyclopedia of Demons and Devils and I'd like to see more even if it does not directly reference D&D elements. Indirectly referencing things the way others have done (The Spider Queen for Lolth, for example) works for me as well.

Remove ads