Describe your homebrew in one sentence.

RuminDange

First Post
The best I can describe mine without even touching some of it is this:

The World of Sorel: Is a world of adventure involving high magic and divine meddling where a struggle between opposites war for dominance in the realm of gods and mortals and balance is sought in an out of balance existence, a world where gods, dragons, and mortal creatures take one of four sides in a silent secret war fought with flesh, bone, will, faith, magic and steel, a world where age old secrets buried even from the gods threaten to tear the world apart upon exposure, and an ancient evil thought destroyed after the first try to overthrow the gods raises again, where denizens from the lower planes crash against the decaying barrier between worlds held in place by one remaining god out of an alliance of old gods, to find the way into the mortal realm watched by those in upper planes who stand helpless to interfere, where sacrifice, faith and determination is required against the hordes of corruption that threatens to take over everything and destroy all from within, where the very beginning may very well be the end as the mother of all gods and the world itself lays wounded as the second reckoning comes where gods, dragons and mortal creatures of all kinds will join in the battle to decide it all unless enlightened heroes rise to change the destiny of them all.

Created a few years before we started playing it, and right at 5 years of actual play and we are just now getting into the good stuff as the secrets are just starting come out. :D

RD

thol

Explorer
The World of Aelor - d20 Fantasy
Where the dimension of Ether (Spirit-Dreams) meets the dimension of Astrum (Space-Time) creating a nexus known as a Chaos Point, the mysterious Builders constructed a world to harness its energy, where magic and technology co-exist, and unknown to gods, men, and heroes alike, the world is awakening.

Beyond Frontiers - d20 Future
The hand of the ancient Regency reaches far across the Galaxy but its power is waning, the ever-greedy Trade Houses fight the priests and gearheads of the Technocracy over the path and philosophy of technology, the faceless Enemy systematically strikes at the edge of Regency with no explanation, and caught inbetween are the mercenaries, free traders, pilgrims, and explorers, and the few who look beyond the next kill, the next score, the next sign, and the next frontier; you are one of those few.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
New Worlds and Old Magic returns during the Wars of Religion in a mid 1600s setting.

The Auld Grump, God shall speak his thoughts from the muzzles of cannon.

Estlor

Explorer
adamantineangel said:
Where can I find more information?

Thread hijack:

Unless you pick my brain, nowhere, because I'm still taking notes. A lot of my development is really serendipitous. It started with, "Let's do all new classes." Then I asked myself, "How do I explain why marshalls and swashbucklers and hexblades etc. exist and not the standard classes?" That's when I started cherry-picking from video games. I liked the PS Castlevania game's comments about alchemy and heresy against the church, so I built that around the concept of a Unitarian Church that worships the "Heavenly Choir of Angels" and holds the "Diabolical Troup of Lucavi" as vile corrupters that formed around a group of knights. The Temple Knights were initially concerned with bringing the "truth" to pagans, but as the church became more powerful, they turned it into a power grab, declaring people they disliked "heretics" bound for exile. Pretty soon they turn their eyes to the elven overlords who settled the mainland because its on a major ley line and decide they want to be in charge. They declare Alchemy (arcane magic) heresy because only true magic can come from a god; those who cast spells without worshipping a god are essentially claiming they are gods themselves. Big war, the elves abandon the mainland, the science of alchemy is almost destroyed. As is anticipated, the soldiers of the church splinter and start grabbing land for themselves. Time passes, stories are changed, and about the time the campaign would start, the Temple Knights (secretly worshippers of Lucavi cults) are about to disrupt the peace to cause a needless war in an attempt to retake land lost in splinter wars.

The classes are pretty firm (unless I decide to add an artificer or tinkerer, I'm toying with the idea of working steam tech into the setting) as are the races. I'm using humans, elves (which are closer to grey elves than high elves), dwarves (which will probably be tweaked to fit the marshall class better), warforged, goblins, centaur (modified ECL 0 versions), lupins (from dragon magazine), diabolus (from dragon), and luminoth (modified luminous from Mystic Races). I picked the diabolus and the luminoth because the diabolus will have hexblade as a favored class, an arcane warrior class (alchemy is considered the tenent of the Lucavi, and diabolus look like devils even though they're chaotic, not evil) and luminoth have templar as a favored class, a divine warrior class (as mysticism comes from the angels, and lumnioth look like celestials even though they're lawful, not good). It plays right into that whole versus theme as hexblade and templar are polar opposites just as diaboli and luminoths are. The rest of the races are basically D&D adaptations of Shining Force races.

End of thread hijack.

Gez

First Post
Toras said:
The campaign I am currently running is COC/Supers. Add a little Earthdawn/Mage to season, and serve in alternative history. One sentence to describe the flavor would be.

-"Superman torn apart in the Market place by invisible beasts."

Superman wrote the Necronomicon?

ragboy

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
That's similar to what I had in mind for a setting that went nowhere; kind of extrapolate what a fantasy/mythological (as opposed to alt.history) version of the New World would have been like if the Scandinavians had been able to advance and hold onto their settlements on the East Coast, and the interactions they subsequently would have had with the native American peoples.

By fantasy/mythological as opposed to alt.history, I'm saying I'd toss out actual ethnic groupings and geography. This would be the equivalent of a Viking/Skraeling new world in the same sense that Rokugan is equivalent to Japan.

There was a homebrew campaign setting out on the web a couple of years ago set in the New World 1600's-1700's that this reminds me of. The author had a complex but really interesting fencing system. Anyone remember what that was?

What was really interesting was that he took an entirely different mythological slant kind of blending native myths with the European colonists'. IIRC it was really well done...

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Mallus, that CITY sound so cool. I'd love to know more about it.

I don't currently have pure homebrew worlds. I have kinda Greyhawk world, kinda Twin Crowns world, and kinda (maybe mostly so) Forge. My players are much involted in planar travel, sooner or later.

I come up with new worlds on a whim, and abandon them as easily. But that is the way of my evershifting cosmos.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
ragboy said:
There was a homebrew campaign setting out on the web a couple of years ago set in the New World 1600's-1700's that this reminds me of. The author had a complex but really interesting fencing system. Anyone remember what that was?

What was really interesting was that he took an entirely different mythological slant kind of blending native myths with the European colonists'. IIRC it was really well done...

It's being released at GenCon as Northern Crown by Atlas Games.

Remove ads