Describe your vision of Gamma World where you live

I live in Seattle so . . .
. . . Knights of Genetic Purity roaming around -- let the PC's assume they are right-winger descendents from Idaho, but they are actually hippy environmentalists, descendents of ELF (Earth Liberation Front), the real world ecoterrorist group active in the Northwest
. . . animal-mutants and friendly treants from the University of Washington genetics lab are threatened by the Knights
. . . remnants of the US government that survived the devastation, riding it out in a nuclear sub, have recently returned to Puget Sound and are scouring old naval bases looking for spare nukes
. . . benign, human loving, evolved, nerdy robots from Microsoft's basements seek battle with Google-built mechadestroyerbots, which stomps around the destroyed Eastside, repeating over and over at high decibels: destroy all evil, all is evil, exterminate, exterminate
. . . somewhere on the Eastside is rumored to be a gate to another world, of magic and elves and so forth. Actually, there are two gates -- one in Bellevue that leads to 3e Greyhawk, and one in Renton that leadings to 4e Eberron

Can't think of anything nice and silly about Boeing being here.

Tetsubo

First Post
Well for West Texas I would expect something along the lines of Mad Max. Isolated pockets of people with people hoarding oil and raiding between settlements. Lots of hidden cache of guns with most people riding around in four-wheel drive trucks.

For the mutants, Intelligent Killer bee swarms, and Giant mosquitoes that pop up in swarms after radioactive thunderstorms that bring burning hail. Most food would be produced by herds of Gigantic Longhorn steers. The Water lords would have wells that got into deepest parts of the Edwards’s aquifer and trade with the Oil lords and Herd Keepers. The number one threat to everyone though is the giant fire ants. They build their mounds up and are slowly spreading out conquering all in their path.

I give you, the New West:

THE NEW WEST

Tetsubo

First Post
I've loved Gamma World from the first day I laid eyes on that B&W boxed set. Though I admit that the 4th edition is my favorite.

I've never set a GW campaign in my home area. I live in Manchester, NH which is actually on that 1E map in the link. I've based one game in MA though, which is close.

Manchester would actually be a pretty good site for a PA game though. It has a decent sized river (the Merrimack) running through it. Which ran the mills during the 19th century and could do so again easily. At the moment it also has a hydro plant, very handy. Good farmland around the city. Even decent sized parks that could be easily converted into farmland. Overall, you could do a lot worse.

I could see a number of mutant animal communities. New human enclaves within the city itself. A few groups of pure strain humans holding out. maybe some Reconstructionists defending the city library. We have some nice statues that might make good idols for new cults.

Of course there is no telling what the city may look like in a couple of centuries. It all depends on when you set the GW game really.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Do you have a link for that map? Please and thank you. :)

There is a cool interactive one that calls a town near me linkin.

This site has the classic one, I think its the old 1e map.

Those were the ones I found also, through Google. (I haven't been back to the thread since my post, so darjr beat me to the punch.:cool: Damn you darjr!;))

I like all that. Very interesting. I especially like the part about the ruins of of the Breakers and Trumps mansion.

Thank you sir.:eek: I'm glad I came back to read more of the thread since there are so many good descriptions posted. These are the threads I really like to read.

Like I said, I've never played Gamma World, but I was tempted to get the Alternity version when it came out, but like most at the time, my interest in Alternity had waned (at least for the rules, Star*Drive and Dark*Matter are still two of my favorite settings). However, I find myself wondering sometimes what a place would look like in a post-apocalyptic world, or if people were gone for whatever reason. The thing that intrigues me the most is how animals would respond. I understand that extinct animals wouldn't be able to come back, but escaped zoo animals offer interesting possibilities (like in The Postman, 12 Monkeys, or The Stand). In our modern times we tend to underestimate the threat of natural predators when there aren't the trappings of civilization, and a superiority of numbers, to protect us. It's a fun thought experiment to play with.

P.S.: Very nice thread, thanks for starting it.:D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thank you sir.:eek: I'm glad I came back to read more of the thread since there are so many good descriptions posted. These are the threads I really like to read.

P.S.: Very nice thread, thanks for starting it.:D
I agree. There have been some great descriptions. This was a thread I thought about starting over a month ago, but I never got around to it. (Night classes and Real LifeTM.)

And, you're welcome. :)

Like I said, I've never played Gamma World, but I was tempted to get the Alternity version when it came out, but like most at the time, my interest in Alternity had waned (at least for the rules, Star*Drive and Dark*Matter are still two of my favorite settings). However, I find myself wondering sometimes what a place would look like in a post-apocalyptic world, or if people were gone for whatever reason. The thing that intrigues me the most is how animals would respond. I understand that extinct animals wouldn't be able to come back, but escaped zoo animals offer interesting possibilities (like in The Postman, 12 Monkeys, or The Stand). In our modern times we tend to underestimate the threat of natural predators when there aren't the trappings of civilization, and a superiority of numbers, to protect us. It's a fun thought experiment to play with.
I too never had a chance to play Gamma World. I had the Alternity version at one point, but I couldn't get my friends interested in Alternity. :-S

Still, Gamma World has always fascinated me. I even came up with my own Gamma World concept that detailed Northwest Canada. (See the attached PDF file for a map I did.) Mainly, I wanted to create a Gamma World environment for Alberta and expanded it to include B.C., Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. I used some slightly altered named for Vancouver, Regina, and Winnipeg (i.e. Coover, Region, and Winterpeg).

I see the North as being less irradiated than the locations in Meriga; however, it is still a harsh place filled with frightening dangers. The temperature flucuates wildly from Summer to Winter. Acid rain in the spring. Acidic snow begins in the late Fall and lasts all winter in the coldest regions.

For this region, I have this sense that there would be a lot of sentient plants and mutated animals. The desert region to the south would be full of beast-riding mutated humanoids.

The Archivists and the Healers are the Cryptic Alliances that are closest to this region. I can't remember what those two factions are all about, however. Regardless, the Archivists would have interest in the southern areas of what was once Alberta and Saskatchewan while the Healers would have interest in Winterpeg and the ruins of Western Ontario (not on my map).

I considered coming up with my own Cryptic Alliances for the North but never got around to it. I'd put a major faction that roams Northern Alberta. Perhaps they are obsessed with the oil sands and gathering any source of energy they can find.

The ruins of Edmonton (called Edmont) are filled with warring tribes of mutated animals but the river valley is controlled by intelligent, carnivorous plantforms. CFB Edmonton is controlled by cyborg-like mutated humanoids with a taste for intelligent plantforms.

The highway between Edmonton and Calgary (i.e. Calgar) is a battleground of roving tribes of machine-loving crazies. Think Mad Max... but with bad beer, hockey sticks, and ATVs. Red Deer (ie. Redeer) is neutral ground where the various tribes come together to drink together, trade with allies, and settle personal disputes with enemies by playing a hockey-inspired bloodsport.

If you live you win the argument. Heh.

KF72

Attachments

• The Western Northlands.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 177

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Another map attached, plus this...

Gamma Terra
37107d1224371943-describe-your-vision-gamma-world-where-you-live-gamma-terra.jpg

I'm not sure where I got this image.

Attachments

• Southeast Badlands.pdf
    775.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Gamma Terra.jpg
    Gamma Terra.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 373

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I've been lucky enough to actually do Gamma World where I live. See D20 Apocalypse. The minisetting I did for that book was kind of a revamped version of The Darkland Empire, which appeared in Action Check #6 (edited by the ever cool Jeff Ibach), which is available as a free download here: http://alternityrpg.net/downloads/e-zines/Action_Check_November_6.pdf

I'm not sure which is more impressive - the fact that this was the first time I had been published by someone other than myself, or how much my writing has improved since then. Oy vey!

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Some other stuff I got off the Net some time ago...

• Cointh.pdf
  • Gamma Russia.pdf
  • Lake Providence.pdf
  • PCGW - Cryptic Alliances.pdf (by Derek Winston)
  • Saragosa.pdf
  • Secrets of the Ancients.pdf (edited/compiled by Kerry Jordan)
  • The Darkland Empire.pdf (by Darrin Drader)
  • The Verdelands.pdf (by R. Miller)

Attachments

• Secrets of the Ancients.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 140
  • Saragosa.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 97
  • PCGW - Cryptic Alliances.pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Lake Providence.pdf
    251.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Gamma Russia.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 146
  • Cointh.pdf
    91.8 KB · Views: 212
  • The Darkland Empire.pdf
    412.7 KB · Views: 124
  • The Verdelands.pdf
    184.7 KB · Views: 122

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Awesome stuff!:D It's giving me an itch to check out Gamma World somemore. Also, that's one seriously cool map.:cool:

Edit: I especially liked the Secrets of the Ancients. Man, that says we only have another 2 1/2 months to find that terraformable planet around Alpha Centauri.;)

Edit: Darrin, I really like alternityrpg.net also. I've DL'd some really good Star*Drive and Dark*Matter stuff from there over the last few years. If I was more creative I'd submit some stuff myself. That's a really good Gamma World article you wrote in Action Check. Nice stuff.

Last edited:

Remove ads