Desert of Athas Dungeon Tiles

Wik

First Post
I dunno. I bought the set (it had the word "athas" in it, therefore I am duty bound to purchase it. ;) ) and I was a bit flummoxed at all the water tiles - one whole side of the tiles had WATER! And many of the so-called "desert" tiles had GRASS! or VEGETATION!

It really does look more like someone slapping on "Dark Sun" to what was originally slated to be a "desert" set. After all, there are no patches of defiled ash. There are images of armoured knights. The plants and vegetables on that market table are very unathasian. And a boat? Why the hell would there EVER be a boat on Athas?

that said, it is kind of neat. And while I'm not sure about the utility of 3d tiles, I can sort of see why they'd be a hit among some groups.

Siberys

Adventurer
I seem to recall some sort of 'siltrunner' type sled-boat. I could be imagining things, though - I'm not exactly an expert on 2e Dark Sun.

Klaus

First Post
I seem to recall some sort of 'siltrunner' type sled-boat. I could be imagining things, though - I'm not exactly an expert on 2e Dark Sun.
Yes, the silt runner was a boat-type thingamabob with enormous wheels that allowed it to cross silt.

EDIT: Silt Skimmer, actually.

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
Making the desert tiles very Athas-specific would have made them less useful for general D&D purposes. This way, it can be used as a normal desert, or even as beach and island. Now, I only wish they would make the ship tiles sent out as rewards last year available through other means.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Making the desert tiles very Athas-specific would have made them less useful for general D&D purposes. This way, it can be used as a normal desert, or even as beach and island. Now, I only wish they would make the ship tiles sent out as rewards last year available through other means.

Yes, an island/boat set is getting rather desperately needed.

Remove ads