• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Desert of Athas Dungeon Tiles

Wik

First Post
I dunno. I bought the set (it had the word "athas" in it, therefore I am duty bound to purchase it. ;) ) and I was a bit flummoxed at all the water tiles - one whole side of the tiles had WATER! And many of the so-called "desert" tiles had GRASS! or VEGETATION!

It really does look more like someone slapping on "Dark Sun" to what was originally slated to be a "desert" set. After all, there are no patches of defiled ash. There are images of armoured knights. The plants and vegetables on that market table are very unathasian. And a boat? Why the hell would there EVER be a boat on Athas?

that said, it is kind of neat. And while I'm not sure about the utility of 3d tiles, I can sort of see why they'd be a hit among some groups.

Siberys

Adventurer
I seem to recall some sort of 'siltrunner' type sled-boat. I could be imagining things, though - I'm not exactly an expert on 2e Dark Sun.

Klaus

First Post
I seem to recall some sort of 'siltrunner' type sled-boat. I could be imagining things, though - I'm not exactly an expert on 2e Dark Sun.
Yes, the silt runner was a boat-type thingamabob with enormous wheels that allowed it to cross silt.

EDIT: Silt Skimmer, actually.

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
Making the desert tiles very Athas-specific would have made them less useful for general D&D purposes. This way, it can be used as a normal desert, or even as beach and island. Now, I only wish they would make the ship tiles sent out as rewards last year available through other means.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Making the desert tiles very Athas-specific would have made them less useful for general D&D purposes. This way, it can be used as a normal desert, or even as beach and island. Now, I only wish they would make the ship tiles sent out as rewards last year available through other means.

Yes, an island/boat set is getting rather desperately needed.

Remove ads