Destiny of the Valenar (Calling Tyrlaan!)

Primus

First Post
... Dangit. WIS 17? Well now this is a suboptimal Warlock build. :D

: Primus kicks his high Wis until its High Cha and then dashes away:

Right, so what's Warlock starting gp anyways? I mean all I need is adventuring equipment and armor, but I do need to know.

Oh, wow, I just reread one of yer posts, right, swapping Wis and Cha, makes it easier to advance later on.

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I figured you'd do that. Now you have a Warlock wiser than he'd normally be: call it an interesting character trait.

I can't find Warlock starting gold right now, so I am going to say that it is the same as a bard. Seems about right to me.

Jarval

Explorer
Here's my character, Tiern Omar. I wasn't sure how much gold Spirit Shamans start with, so I've just listed some basic equipment. If I've overspent, I'll revise my equipment suitably.

[sblock]Tiern Omar
Elf Spirit Shaman 1, NG

STR 13 (+1)
DEX 15 (+2)
CON 10 (+0)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 15 (+2)
CHA 14 (+2)

Combat Stats:
Base Attack Bonus: +0
Melee: +1 [+0 BAB, +1 STR]
Ranged: +2 [+0 BAB, +2 DEX]
Hit Points: 8 [8 (levels) + 0 (CON)]
Armor Class: 15 [10 + 2 (DEX) + 2 (armour) + 2 (shield)]
Initiative: +2 [+2 DEX]
Movement Rate: 30 feet

Attacks per round:
Shortbow (+2 to hit (+3 within 30'), 1d6 dmg, Crit 20/x3, 60' range)
Longsword (+1 to hit, 1d8+1 dmg, Crit 19-20/x2)
Dagger (+1 to hit (melee), +2 to hit (thrown), 1d4+1 dmg, Crit 19-20/x2, 10' range)

Armor:
Leather armour (+2 AC, +8 Max Dex, ASFC 10%)
Light wooden shield (+1 AC, -1 armour check penalty, ASFC 5%)

Saving Throws:
Fort: +2 [+2 base, +0 CON]
Ref: +2 [+0 base, +2 DEX]
Will: +4 [+2 base, +2 WIS]

Feats:
Alertness (Spirit Guide bonus)
Point Blank Shot (1st level feat)

Skills:
Diplomacy +6 (4 ranks, +2 CHA)
Heal +4 (2 ranks, +2 WIS)
Knowledge (history) +5 (4 ranks, +1 INT)
Listen +8 (2 ranks, +2 WIS, +2 racial, +2 Alertness)
Ride +4 (2 ranks, +2 DEX)
Spot +8 (2 ranks, +2 WIS, +2 racial, +2 Alertness)
Survival +6 (4 ranks, +2 WIS)

Languages:
Common, Elven, Giant.

Special Abilities:
Immune to sleep based magical effects.
+2 racial bonus to saves vs. Enchantment.
Low-light vision.
Proficient with the longsword, rapier, longbow and shortbow (including composites).
+2 racial bonus to Listen, Search and Spot checks.
Favored Class: Wizard.
Spirit Guide.
Wild Empathy +3.

Spells:
Spells per day: 3/3
DCs: 12/13
Spells retrieved per day: 3/1
Level 0: Cure Minor Wounds, Guidance, Light.
Level 1: Cure Light Wounds.

Equipment:
Backpack:
- Bedroll
- Grappling hook
- 50' silk rope
- 2 torches
- 3 days trail rations
- Waterskin
- 4 gp, 5 sp, 7 cp
Wearing / Carrying:
- Explorer's Outfit
- Leather armour
- Light wooden shield
- Shortbow
- 20 arrows
- Longsword
- Dagger

Total Weight Carried: 50 lb
Load: Light

Current XP:
Current: 0
Next Level: 1,000[/sblock]

Height: 5' 5", Weight: 95 lbs, Age: 121, Eyes: Green, Hair: Light brown, cut short.

Description: Tiern is a tall, thin man with cropped brown hair and vibrant green eyes. He often has a distracted air about him, as if listening to voices that only he can hear. While quiet for the most part, when he does speak, he does so with a tone of persuasive confidence.

Background: Almost as soon as he could talk, Tiern spoke of his "third grandmother", Liveshe, to his parents. The Keepers of the Past quickly realised that this was no childish imagining, but an ancestor speaking to the boy. While such occurrences were not uncommon, for an ancestor to have taken an interest in one so young was extraordinary.

As Tiern grew, so did the bond with the ancestor. She told the her descendant of the far land of Xen'Drik, of the giants that had enslaved his people, and of the battles that the elves had fought to be free. She also taught him of the arts of healing that she had mastered in her own life. Tiern proved a rapt and attentive audience for this knowledge, becoming a healer of some ability, and learning how to use the power of Liveshe to work magic.

Now Tiern rides with his warband. While a poor fighter in hand-to-hand combat, he has some skill with the bow, but it is not his martial abilities that are needed. Many of his companions have had wounds tended to by the youth, and he is well liked by the warriors of the warband.

Liveshe, Merciful Touch: Once a slave, but freed in her 137th year, Liveshe spent most of her youth walking between the hidden tribes of free elves who had escaped from the giants, who's focus was fixed on fighting the quori. A healer of great talent, she became known as "Merciful Touch".

Then the giants called upon draconic magic, and broke Dal Quor from Eberron forever. The resulting cataclysm was a clarion call for captive and free elf alike. The rebellion started in earnest, and Liveshe put herself amid it.

Her name is not found among those of the great heroes of the war with the giants, for she was no warrior. But she was no stranger to the battlefield. Many of the great heroes of the elven rebellion owned their lives to Liveshe's magic, grievous wounds healed, or warding spells bestowed. At the height of her powers, she even called the greatest fallen warriors back from beyond the veil of death to once again serve the elven people.

By this breaking of the veil of death, Liveshe found herself with a new gift. The ancestors spoke to her, opening her eyes and mind to the spirits that flowed in the world around her. Liveshe still moved among the tribes as a healer, but now also as a teacher. The knowledge and wisdom of the ancestors strengthened the resolve of the tribes, and the giants fell back in alarm at the new vigour of the elves.

No tales speak of how Liveshe passed from the mortal life. Tiern has asked the question a few times, but gets only a mixed sense of great sadness and pride from his ancestor.

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tiern Omar
[SBLOCK]Stats before racial mods. You get one swap.
Starting gear should be same as gear for a druid.
Str 13
Dex 13
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 15
Cha 14[/SBLOCK]

Eliseri Aligilla
[SBLOCK]Stats before racial mods. You can swap one pair.
Str 15
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 11
Wis 13
Cha 14[/SBLOCK]

Mista Collins

First Post
ShaggySpellsword said:
Eliseri Aligilla
[SBLOCK]Stats before racial mods. You can swap one pair.
Str 15
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 11
Wis 13
Cha 14[/SBLOCK]

So I take these, and just switch two of them around. So I would have something like this before racial mods?

Str 15
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 11
Wis 14
Cha 13

...I'll change it as if the answer to my question was yes and then edit it from there.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Nialan Valera
[B]Class/Level:[/B] Cleric** of the Keepers of the Past 1
[B]Race:[/B] Elf
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Region:[/B] Valenar
[B]Alignment:[/B] Lawful Good
[B]Deity:[/B] Keepers of the Past
**Variant cleric from UA - gets smite evil and aura of courage and loses 
    turn undead

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2    [B]Level:[/B] 1         [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 15 +2    [B]BAB:[/B] +0          [B]HP:[/B] 8
[B]Con:[/B] 10 +0    [B]Grapple:[/B] +2      [B]Dmg Red:[/B] n/a
[B]Int:[/B] 15 +2    [B]Speed:[/B] 20'       [B]Spell Res:[/B] n/a
[B]Wis:[/B] 15 +2    [B]Init:[/B] +2         [B]Spell Save:[/B] n/a
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0    [B]ACP:[/B] -4          [B]Spell Fail:[/B] n/a

[b]Action Points/Die:[/b] 5/1d6

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B] 10    +4    +0    +2    +0    +0    +0    16
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                 2     +0    +0      +2
[B]Ref:[/B]                  0     +2    +0      +2
[B]Will:[/B]                 2     +2    +0      +4

[B]Weapon                Attack           Damage           Critical      Range[/B]
Scimitar              +3               1d6+2            18-20/x2
Kukri                 +3               1d4+1            18-20/x2
Scimitar and Kukri    +1/+1            

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
-Smite Evil
-Aura of Courage (do I get this now or at 3rd level?)

[B]Feats:[/B] 
Domain:    Martial Weapon Proficiency (Valenar blades)
Domain:    Weapon Focus (Valenar blades)
Level 1:   Two-Weapon Fighting

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 16      [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                      Ranks  Mod  Misc    Total[/B]
Concentration                 4    +0    +0      +4
Diplomacy                     2    +0    +0      +2
Heal                          2    +2    +0      +4
Knowledge (history)           4    +2    +0      +6
Knowledge (religion)          4    +2    +0      +6

[B]Equipment:                           Cost   Weight[/B]
Scimitar                             15gp      4lb
Kukri                                 8gp      2lb
Scale mail                           50gp     30lb
Wooden holy symbol                    1gp    
Spell component pouch                 5gp      2lb
Cleric's vestments                    5gp      6lb
Backpack                              2gp      2lb
Vial of ink                           8gp
Inkpen                                1sp
Parchment x5                          1gp
Pouch, belt x2                        2gp      1lb
Waterskin                             1gp      4lb
Sunrod x5                            10gp      5lb
Bedroll                               1sp      5lb
Scroll case x5                        5gp    2.5lb
Empty flask x2                        6cp      3lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]66.5lb      [B]Money:[/B] 11gp 7sp 4cp

[B]Lgt   Med    Hvy    Lift   Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               58lb 116lb  175lb  350lb  875lb

[B]Age:[/B] 146
[B]Height:[/B] 5'
[B]Weight:[/B] 92lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Dark-skinned

Background/Personality: Who am I, you ask? To know me you must know the tale of Xaelian Valera, First Keeper, for she is my ancestor. My calling is her dying words. I pledge my life to the endless task of keeping the past among the present. Xaelian was a great warrior and I could never be her equal on the battlefield. But I can maintain her dying wish and show her and my people honor in times of war. For as long as I have lived, I have always desired to honor my ancestor, and it has not always been easy. Despite our longevity, time is always a stealthy adversary, stealing away precious pieces of our memory. My battle is unending and uncompromising. To wage war upon a physical opponent often feels like a relief from my more elusive combats. But now I find you growing weary of my troubles. Fear not, I shall halt my words and grant you respite from my tireless quest.

Remember this. Remember the past. Keep these memories to keep yourself.

Ancestor Tale: So you have come to me because you are ignorant of the name Xaelian Valera, the First Keeper? Well then sit a while and I will save you from your blasphemy…

Xaelian, like all those we have learned to honor and remember, lived under the oppressive yoke of the tyrannical giants of Xen’Drik. Like all the heroes we know of, Xaelian’s exploits and deeds were many and great, but what marks her as a star bright enough to shine through time itself is her selfless acts that led our ancestors to freedom and her dying words. As you well know, the Great Cataclysm, despite the devastation it laid upon us, granted us the opportunity we had been seeking for millennia. And seize that opportunity we did, but the prideful giants would have none of it. Intent to lay waste to their continent once more solely to spare themselves a loss at the hands of our forbearers, the giants began to summon the terrible magic of the dragons they had used to end the War of Dreams. This time, the dragons would have none of the giant’s nonsense and instead mounted a frontal assault on the diseased empire of the giants. The dragons held no sympathy for our fate and countless of our brethren perished in their vicious onslaught. Some chose to stay and fight. Others looked to the seas to escape a certain death. Xaelian led the exodus from the blasted lands of Xen’Drik and became a savior of our people.

But the story does not end there. Xaelian may have seen the wisdom in escape, but having an idea and having that idea realized can be concepts that are worlds apart. Xaelian met with many of her kin to devise a plan to evacuate as many elves from the crumbling Xen’Drik as quickly, and with as few casualties, as possible. She knew that the prideful giants would not let them sneak by under their noses. Xaelian knew the giants would sooner perish at the hands of the dragons then see their elven subjugates escape their grasp. After much debate, a plan was formulated. Xaelian was to take her own path off the continent, making sure she would be seen by the giants during her escape. The other elves would leave under the cover of magical concealment. Xaelian knew the overconfident giants would fall for the plan. What she had not expected was the ferocity they would afford to muster against her upon her inevitable discovery.

Xaelian and her sparse crew should have made it safely off Xen’Drik after delaying the giants just long enough for the others to escape. The giants had other plans. Upon witnessing her flight, countless of the colossal tyrants descended upon Xaelian and her crew. Most died almost instantly, leaving Xaelian alone and vastly outnumbered. She fought valiantly, wielding her double scimitar with such speed that it is said that the driving rain never even touched it on that day. The fallen giants numbered in the dozens, but alas it was not enough. Xaelian was struck a mortal blow and her double scimitar was scattered into the vast ocean, lost forever. As she lay dying, a handful of words crossed her lips. These words were somehow picked up by the great winds and were carried to the ears of all those who had escaped. The words were, “Remember me. Remember the past. Keep these memories to keep yourselves.” And with this dying breath, Xaelian left the mortal world.

Xaelian’s dying words were not to be forgotten. Soon after, the Keepers of the Past were born. From her dying words, we found life. And to this day, she is known as the First Keeper. Remember this.

Remember the past. Keep these memories to keep yourself.

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Yes on meeting Bladebearer of the Valenar prereqs.

I would like for you to go ahead and post a character with those stats before I give you your revised stats: I am kind of going for having the odd "sub-optimal" ability score show up after the fact. I find it adds to the FUN!

Remove ads