• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Detect magic

Just noticed it got switched back to a lvl 1 spell instead of a skill application. I kinda liked it being tied to arcana, and I really liked the mark of detection tying it to perception. Any thoughts on this?

Paraxis

Explorer
I prefer it being an at-will ability, like either a class ability to spellcasters or a cantrip. Then use perception and investigation to notice things, and arcana skill check to interpret the information seen.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I don't know why they thought it was perfectly fine for warlocks to be able to get detect magic at-will, but that it would be somehow too powerful for everyone else.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I don't know why they thought it was perfectly fine for warlocks to be able to get detect magic at-will, but that it would be somehow too powerful for everyone else.
I think in this case the entire point of the Warlock ability is that it's too powerful for anyone else.

It's a very powerful tool for solving many puzzles and mysteries in adventures. Which is why you likely don't want every group of players having those tools at their disposal. On the other hand, that is precisely why it's an awesome ability on Warlocks. Whether it is TOO powerful is another story, and one that can likely be debated infinitely.

I do know that the group that I ran through an adventure with a Warlock who had the ability should have had a much easier time than without it. But they didn't interpret the information they got from Detect Magic correctly.

1of3

Explorer
If you want, you can still allow checks to determine the presence of magic. Detect Magic then is an automatic success on all such checks.

Remove ads