• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Devils in 4E

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Some interesting information on devils in 4E in Rich Baker's Blog.

It looks like we're going to say goodbye to the erinyes!

(Although... I think I'd put good money on the erinyes eventually appearing in some form in 4E, say in the Monster Manual 8 or 9 :cool: )

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I don't understand why so many people in the 4e forum thread say they can't tell the difference between devils and demons in other editions. :confused:

I'll check out the 4e SRD, but I don't like the sound of the fluff much.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Man, this has completely ruined my day.

Essentially, that one post unraveled 30+ years of planar history, several of the best books of all editions (the Fiendish Codices, Faces of Evil), and basically lifted a large middle finger towards Planescape and Great Wheel fans.

:mad:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Essentially, that one post unraveled 30+ years of planar history, several of the best books of all editions (the Fiendish Codices, Faces of Evil), and basically lifted a large middle finger towards Planescape and Great Wheel fans.

:mad:

Seems like that to me, too. I didn't mind most of the other changes, but this seems like another move toward breaking the settings apart, at least if they ever publish a Planescape CS. I barely played 3e and never played Planescape, but my 3e FR cosmology is the Great Wheel if my players ever advance far enough. :cool: I want a unified cosmology, gosh darn it!

dhaga

First Post

*shakes fist*

I own the 4 Planescape boxed sets from 2nd Edition, and I have adapted that cosmology to my 3rd Edition campaign. Unravel if they wish, but some of us are not going to change our views of the multiverse structure! We will...rebel! Or something...

:)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
dhaga said:
I own the 4 Planescape boxed sets from 2nd Edition
Technically there are six Planescape boxed sets, since A Player's Primer to the Outlands and Hellbound: The Blood War are also boxes. Just saying ;)

*hugs his complete Planescape collection*

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Well, if you have money to spend now, here's the complete list of Planescape game products, by release date:

1994-04 Planescape Campaign Setting
1994-05 Eternal Boundary
1994-06 Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix
1994-07 Planes of Chaos
1994-08 Planescape Sketchbook*
1994-09 Well of Worlds
1994-10 In the Abyss
1994-11 Deva Spark
1995-01 Planes of Law
1995-02 Fires of Dis
1995-04 Player's Primer to the Outlands
1995-05 In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil
1995-06 Factol's Manifesto
1995-07 Harbinger House
1995-09 Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II
1995-11 Planes of Conflict
1995-12 Planescape Conspectus**
1996-02 Something Wild
1996-03 Uncaged: Faces of Sigil
1996-06 Hellbound: The Blood War
1996-08 Planewalker's Handbook
1996-09 On Hallowed Ground
1996-10 Guide to the Astral Plane
1996-11 Doors to the Unknown
1997-08 Faces of Evil: The Fiends
1997-09 Great Modron March
1997-10 Dead Gods
1998-03 Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III
1998-05 Tales from the Infinite Staircase
1998-08 Guide to the Ethereal Plane
1998-10 Faction War
1998-12 Inner Planes

* This is a very rare item, never released commercially and only produced in small quantities. I don't have a copy :(

** The Planescape conspectus is a free poster printed by TSR and included in some Dragon magazines and as freebies in some game stores. It has a so-so map of the great wheel, a product tree and a "Welcome to Sigil" blurb. Unless you are serious collector, you aren't missing anything if you don't have this. (But I think I have a spare one of these, which I'll happily post to you if you do want it.)

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
I agree with Shade. I'm all about new takes on old material. I'm all about better mechanics. I'm not about taking a leak all over the established back story to engage in something lame like 'devils are pretty, demons are ugly'

Here's a couple of links to the discussion as it stands at Dicefreaks and Wizards. At Wizards, Rip's saying what I'd say only better and less offensively. Dicefreaks seems divided between purism and gleeful continuity bashers, favoring purists.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads