Did anyone else notice this about Star Wars?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Nebulous said:
Those were great, but that's my original point: how come we only know them as "cool wheeled vehicles?" Do they even have a name referenced in the film? I doubt it. I think i'll dub them CWV's. ;)

Were AT-ATs or Scout Walkers named in the movies? I don't think so (although I haven't watched ESB is a while). We know the name now because of the toys that came out. I really don't think anyone ever said - 'Launch the AT-ATs!' or 'Look out! AT-AT's!'

Nebulous said:
One small thing i want to point out, and i do agree with the above, but what about named ships in the new trilogy like Millenium Falcon? The Falcon is so engrained in star wars mythos it is a character in and of itself. Han and Lando both had deep feelings concerning her. I can't recall any specific names in the new trilogy, but i'm not real keen on suffering through Menace again to glean a few facts.
Well, the only named ship in the original trilogy was the Millenium Falcon. And really, the reason the Falcon became important is that it's Han's ship. No one in the new trilogy is really DEFINED as a pilot or smuggler or anything of that nature. While it might have been nice to have a ship like the Falcon that was iconic, there's really no one to hang it to. Obi-wan doesn't especially like to fly. Anakin will fly anything. And besides, Jedi aren't supposed to possess things, so having any of them own a ship is right out. Who do we have left that could have a ship? Padme? Meh. It would feel VERY tacked on for her to be particularly enamored of any particular ship.

Besides, if any ship had been recurring and important to the plot, everyone would have been whining "THIS is his idea of a replacement for the Falcon!!"

Oh, yeah, they WERE doing that with the chrome thing from Episode I, anyway. Man, we fans are picky, irritating, jumping-to-conclusions punks, aren't we?

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Besides, if any ship had been recurring and important to the plot, everyone would have been whining "THIS is his idea of a replacement for the Falcon!!"

Which is probably why you see the Falcon, or a close "mockup" in each of the prequels...

Staffan

Legend
Darth K'Trava said:
Which is probably why you see the Falcon, or a close "mockup" in each of the prequels...
Well, at least according to the EU stuff, the Falcon is a pretty common ship. Or rather, a very heavily modified version of a common ship. So ships that look similar to the Falcon should be pretty common in the Galaxy.

Remove ads