D&D 5E Did March of the Machine wreck D&D settings of Theros, Ravnica, and Strixhaven? Spoiler Alert.

Ondath

Hero
Sure, but that was always the case.
The honest answer is we don't know. This week's catastrophic multiversal event was triggered by Phyrexians creating a World Tree that could open portals to anywhere in the multiverse, so it looked like non-planeswalking options for traversing the planes were now available. But (and spoilers for March of the Machine's web stories ahead)

A lot of planes saw a lot of destruction during the process, but then Wrenn (a new dryad planeswalker whose schtick is bonding with trees) merged with the Phyrexian World Tree, managed to not be corrupted by it, then used the tree to bring Zhalfir out of the time bubble Teferi had placed it in right before the Mending. In doing so, she essentially catapulted Zhalfir in New Phyrexia's place, and Zhalfir ended up taking NP's place in the Blind Eternities while NP swapped places, becoming disconnected from the rest of the multiverse.

Once that happened, all of the Phyrexian armies in all planes did the boring action movie denouement thing where they all simultaneously dropped because their leader was killed, and nobody mentioned whether the World Tree connection between the planes remains or not.

Right before the stories started, Wizards was going on about how MoM WOULD CHANGE THE MULTIVERSE FOREVER, so people assumed the World Tree might end up allowing non-planeswalkers to travel as well, but we really don't know for now. There will be a "mini-set" called March of the Machine: The Aftermath that will explain how the multiverse is doing after thwarting the Phyrexian invasion, so we might know whether the rules of planeswalking have changed or not when that set is released.

Last edited:

All the planes are traversable ?

We will find out what the long term conquences to Planar travel will be in Aftermath, but yeah I'm pretty sure they are because apparently the big story line for Aftermath is that a group of desparked planeswalkers are going around the multiverse rebuilding things.

And the Epilog box art for Aftermath has a group of desparked Planeswalkers going through a big portal.

The honest answer is we don't know. This week's catastrophic multiversal event was triggered by Phyrexians creating a World Tree that could open portals to anywhere in the multiverse, so it looked like non-planeswalking options for traversing the planes were now available. But (and spoilers for March of the Machine's web stories ahead)

A lot of planes saw a lot of destruction during the process, but then Wrenn (a new dryad planeswalker whose schtick is bonding with trees) merged with the Phyrexian World Tree, managed to not be corrupted by it, then used the tree to bring Zhalfir out of the time bubble Teferi had placed it in right before the Mending. In doing so, she essentially catapulted Zhalfir in New Phyrexia's place, and Zhalfir ended up taking NP's place in the Blind Eternities while NP swapped places, becoming disconnected from the rest of the multiverse.

Once that happened, all of the Phyrexian armies in all planes did the boring action movie denouement thing where they all simultaneously dropped because their leader was killed, and nobody mentioned whether the World Tree connection between the planes remains or not.

Right before the stories started, Wizards was going on about how MoM WOULD CHANGE THE MULTIVERSE FOREVER, so people assumed the World Tree might end up allowing non-planeswalkers to travel as well, but we really don't know for now. There will be a "mini-set" called March of the Machine: The Aftermath that will explain how the multiverse is doing after thwarting the Phyrexian invasion, so we might know whether the rules of planeswalking have changed or not when that set is released.

I think they are setting up New Zhalfir to be the next D&D MtG crossover setting, I mean the love child of Mirrodin and Dominaria's African inspired continient, its gives them everything they want in a setting, but within a context that allows them to add a bunch of new stuff too.

Scribe

Legend
We will find out what the long term conquences to Planar travel will be in Aftermath, but yeah I'm pretty sure they are because apparently the big story line for Aftermath is that a group of desparked planeswalkers are going around the multiverse rebuilding things.

And the Epilog box art for Aftermath has a group of desparked Planeswalkers going through a big portal.
Lame. The unique distinction of the settings was a huge part of keeping mtg fresh.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m just wanting to see New Zhalfir cross over with the Forgotten Realms as they build a new Planescape mwahahaha.

but really Ive never been overly invested in the Lore and overall I thought the story lore was exciting

Lame. The unique distinction of the settings was a huge part of keeping mtg fresh.

I think mostly they will remain distinct, there be some interactions, but I don't think they will say flood Theros with Kamigawa mechs and Kaladesh Skyships for example. Interactions will likely only happen to allow certain kind of stories to occur that otherwise they wouldn't be able to do.

Like clearly this is part of a greater overarching plan and goal.

Scribe

Legend
I think mostly they will remain distinct, there be some interactions, but I don't think they will say flood Theros with Kamigawa mechs and Kaladesh Skyships for example. Interactions will likely only happen to allow certain kind of stories to occur that otherwise they wouldn't be able to do.

Like clearly this is part of a greater overarching plan and goal.

Sure, a bad one. Its Jacetice League all over again, only this time they are late to the 'Marvel Multiverse' plot line.

Remove ads