Did the Ads Recently Change on this Site (New Pop Ups)

tomBitonti

Adventurer
It seems that the width test changed again. I'm seeing a new minimum width of 8 inches.

My guess is that they are trying to find a "reasonable" width for which the window is not too terrible. Less than what they had, enabling the pop-up on more browsers.

You can check this by viewing the Page Source.

Thanks!
TomB

jgsugden

Legend
It seems that the width test changed again. I'm seeing a new minimum width of 8 inches.

My guess is that they are trying to find a "reasonable" width for which the window is not too terrible. Less than what they had, enabling the pop-up on more browsers.

You can check this by viewing the Page Source.

Thanks!
TomB
Are you saying that it looks like they're trying to figure out the best way to keep the bottom bar that you need to click to exit in order to use the basic functionality of the site?

If the plan is to have those banner and/or video adds at the bottom continue to be there and to require someone to close them every time we go to a new page, it would be problematic. From what Merric seemed to be saying I've been expecting both of those to disappear and more typical add stylings to remain (that do not require on us to click an X to get rid of them in order to see the full screen). I know we need ad revenue to support the site, but this is rough. It really makes the site have the feel of a clickbait site - the kind that haunts your computer after you visit once.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Are you saying that it looks like they're trying to figure out the best way to keep the bottom bar that you need to click to exit in order to use the basic functionality of the site?

If the plan is to have those banner and/or video adds at the bottom continue to be there and to require someone to close them every time we go to a new page, it would be problematic. From what Merric seemed to be saying I've been expecting both of those to disappear and more typical add stylings to remain (that do not require on us to click an X to get rid of them in order to see the full screen). I know we need ad revenue to support the site, but this is rough. It really makes the site have the feel of a clickbait site - the kind that haunts your computer after you visit once.
Ah, not quite. It seems the goal is to prevent the pop up’s on the smaller screens, where they rather do not fit.

So, I’m very much speculating. There was a 13.5 inch with check which was commented out, then reappeared as an 8 inch width check. 13.5 inches cuts out most tablets and most phones. 8 inches, I presume, cuts out phones but not most tablets. Then, the criteria is which devices have too little space for the pop-up.

Personally, the pop-ups seem rather intrusive. We have a lot of inline ads, so what’s up with the new pop up’s? That they are intrusive seems to be the point. One is forced to click them away to effectively use the page.

Anyways, be safe and well.

TomB

Remove ads