• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dilreen's Magic Aura

What level should "Dilreen's Magic Aura" be?

• 2nd Level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd Level

Votes: 0 0.0%

anest1s

First Post
I 'I'm a deity, epic level monsters, come get me!' or 'Everyone below 1000th level can suck on the Overwhelming daze effect LAWLS'.

Why the hell would someone want to lure higher level enemies to attack him :confused: And what daze effect are you talking about?

This was my initial reaction as well... but then I thought of how it would scale with levels and I decided to keep the SRD Magic Aura duration. As spellcasters grow, so do the auras on them multiply. Imagine a mid to high level caster wanting to hide his auras... with a 24 hour duration he would have to spend all his 1st level slots...

This is already possible with the SRD Magic Aura!:)

Still, I'm considering some changes in this regard.

Yes, a high level caster should get a higher level protection...

Dozen

First Post
Did not. It isn't included in most descriptions, but an Overwhelming aura of any kind dazes you if your caster level is less than half as strong as the aura. Hence why it is, fittingly, called Overwhelming.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Did not. It isn't included in most descriptions, but an Overwhelming aura of any kind dazes you if your caster level is less than half as strong as the aura. Hence why it is, fittingly, called Overwhelming.

It's not included in the Detect Magic description... but perhaps you can share your source?

Dozen

First Post
It's not so much a written rule as it is common sense. Why the Nine Hells would you call it Overwhelming if it doesn't overwhelm you? The Overwhelming effect is included in Detect (Alignment), Detect Undead, Detect Psionics, Detect Taint... And then there are those where it isn't, like Detect Magic, Detect Incarnum, Detect Ghost etc. With seemingly no reason for this difference between them. Detect Ghost especially stands out. Detect Undead stuns you. Ghosts are undead. Explain that one to me.
I don't know if the Overwhelming aura was supposed to be renamed or the stun/daze effect was left out at some point, but either way, there is lazy writing involved. And since adding new content is better than taking it away as a rule of thumb, my vote goes for the O.h. aura being what it says on the tin.

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
It's not so much a written rule as it is common sense. Why the Nine Hells would you call it Overwhelming if it doesn't overwhelm you? The Overwhelming effect is included in Detect (Alignment), Detect Undead, Detect Psionics, Detect Taint... And then there are those where it isn't, like Detect Magic, Detect Incarnum, Detect Ghost etc. With seemingly no reason for this difference between them. Detect Ghost especially stands out. Detect Undead stuns you. Ghosts are undead. Explain that one to me.
I don't know if the Overwhelming aura was supposed to be renamed or the stun/daze effect was left out at some point, but either way, there is lazy writing involved. And since adding new content is better than taking it away as a rule of thumb, my vote goes for the O.h. aura being what it says on the tin.

Hmmm... I had never noticed these slight differentiations between overwhelming auras in the detect spells and powers.

What is most striking is the Detect Psionics power, which, especially if you are under the Psionics-Magic Transparency rule (the default rule btw), it works exactly like Detect Magic!

Not lazy writing, lazy updating...(which is lazy writing too...)

[MENTION=6698275]Dozen[/MENTION], You still haven't voted!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads