Dinosaur Island assisstance

johnpost

First Post
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to run an adventure based on an island infested with dinosaurs, a real Lost World kind of place and I was hoping you could point me in the direction of any info that may be useful. I'm looking for dinosaur stats, wild humanoids and any background reading that may help me flesh out the island.
Thanks in advance.
John

Dragonwriter

First Post
There is some stuff here on EnWorld. I actually searched for some a few months ago and found a good thread ("Dinosaurs A to Z", or something like that...) Sadly, I can't find the thread in a search...

There's lots of statblocks in there, but it is for 3.0, and not 3.5.

Anyway, the RTF file I've attached has all the dino stats I found, months ago. I'm pretty sure all of them are stats for legitimate Dinosaurs (as in, found in fossils), unlike the MM3 freaks. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• DInos.rtf
    32 KB · Views: 159

johnpost

First Post
Also I'm thinking of using the wild versions of humanoid races such as wood elves, wild dwarves etc. But what can I use for wild humans, I have considered the Feral template but it may be a bit too powerful, any suggestions. Also I want to create some weapons crafted from dinosaur parts, so any info on that would be great.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Using the "Wild/Jungle" races is probably a good idea. Making a Human to fit that specific idea is a little trickier, since humans are so adaptable... We generally don't change to fit the environment, except simple things for survival (normally evolutionary...). Perhaps removing the bonus skill point and giving Hide and Move Silently as a permanent class skill (with a small racial bonus)? It could work.

As to weapons crafted from dino parts, I would suggest taking a look at Draconomicon's Dragoncraft Weapons and Armor section (if you have the book. If not, no big deal). I think there was a small spot in the DMG about "Bone Weapons" or at least lower-tech stuff. I would suggest taking a look at that. If not, then you could improvise rules for bone stuff.

(This is only an idea, and probably not balanced, but I'm just tossing stuff out.)
Example: Since bone is weaker than metal when used for weapons or armor, it is more easily broken and hits with less strength. A bone weapon deals 2 (or 3) less damage than the standard steel version of that weapon. Bone armor has -2 AC from the standard steel armor and -1 Dex bonus. Hardness 3, HP 5 (to 7) per inch of thickness (or some such thing...). Bone also weighs less (3/4 weight of steel, maybe 1/2).
Dinosaur Bonecrafting: A person with special training (like a HRed feat) can create more elaborate and dangerous weapons with the bones and body parts of dinosaurs than any other person. Weapons made in this fashion are treated as one size category larger for the property of dealing damage, but nothing else (Ex: Medium Bonecraft Heavy Mace deals 2d6, no penalty to attack). Any melee weapon can be made through Bonecrafting, but it requires bones from a dinosaur at least one size category larger than the person for whom the weapon is being made. Ammunition and ranged weapons cannot be made through Bonecrafting.
Minimum price for something like that should be at least double a masterwork version of the item, or possibly triple or quadruple.

Anyways, I'm not even pretending this could work, but it was just an idea I had and thought it miht be helpful.

Desert Hare

Banned
Banned
Also I'm thinking of using the wild versions of humanoid races such as wood elves, wild dwarves etc. But what can I use for wild humans, I have considered the Feral template but it may be a bit too powerful, any suggestions. Also I want to create some weapons crafted from dinosaur parts, so any info on that would be great.

Once again, I must mention Lost Prehistorica. It provides new races and game statistics to modify the existing races to make them more compatible with a Lost World type of game.

Remove ads