Diplomacy +23 at 3rd level??? Help, my player must be wrong!!!

Boss

First Post
I couldn't find anything on synergies stacking, but I did find the following (PHB, pg. 66) "Your DM may limit certain synergies if desired, or he may add more synergies for specific situations."

Other than that little caveat, looks like your player did a great job finding all the bonuses he could.

Personally, I would limit him to one synergy bonus according to the situation. It is unlikely that both a Bluff and Sense Motive Synergy would work at the same time. And when you are dealing with peasants about to revolt, Knowledge (Nobility) doesn't do much.

Just my 1/4 cent.

Vlos

First Post
As Boss stated some synergy bonuses may not be appropriate at all times, but probably can be used.

For example I sense motive of the pesants why they are about to revolt, then using my knowledge of Nobles I bluff my way through telling them not to revolt because the nobles would react this way or that way? or maybe not even care, etc.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Henry said:
On the other hand, it takes TEN ROUNDS of talking to change someone's reaction, so it's not that unbalanced. If the enemy is attacking you, most combats are done and over with in one minute anyway. :)

Don't forget the little rule at the top of p72 in the PHB - you can "rush diplomacy" e.g. to head off a fight as a full round action with a -10 penalty.

Emirikol, although it seems really bad at the moment, it doesn't get much worse - there are no other synergies of feats to get which will boost it beyond the 1 rank per level and any boost from attribute increases or items.

I speak from experience because I have a Twilek noble in a Star Wars campaign were I did basically the same thing. It was great fun, and not unbalancing at all (especially considering all the feats which were used for that rather than for some kind of combat)

Cheers

rkanodia

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Don't forget the little rule at the top of p72 in the PHB - you can "rush diplomacy" e.g. to head off a fight as a full round action with a -10 penalty.
Wow. And the character can still do it on a 7 or better. By level 9, he'll never fail! Static diplomacy DCs = ba-roken?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Plane Sailing said:

Oh, I know, but a +13 bonus is MUCH easier to deal with than a +23. :) You don't start influencing reactions to friendly until 30, I believe, and having to roll a 17 makes 'em sweat a little. Of course, at least as long as he can push them to indifferent, it's cool.

Flynn

First Post
It looks legit to me. As for my thoughts on the matter, I'd say that, in a well-rounded campaign where a variety of encounter types occur, there will be points where the Diplomat will shine, and there will be points where diplomacy will be ineffective, and the weakness of being specialized in only one area will shine.

Given that diplomacy probably doesn't dictate reactions to creatures that are immune to mind-affecting powers OR are too stupid to do anything but react, such things as oozes, constructs and possibly even undead will remain undeterred by the extreme knowledge this character has in diplomacy.

As a DM, I would make sure to write in at least one encounter where the diplomacy would be effective, and one encounter where it would not, into each adventure. That way, the PC gets his moment in the sun, and then there will be points where the other characters can shine on their own.

All that for just two coppers,
Flynn

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Diplomacy isn't a non-magical dominate spell. It doesn't turn everyone who atttacks you into your bestest friend. If an NPC has no reason to be diplomatic (hired to kill the PCs, for instance) he isn't suddenly going to turn into your PC's lapdog. I'd let the bonus stand. This PC has already burned 2 feats to jack up that diplomacy bonus, which is only situationally useful.

Scion

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
he is a Half Elf & has used 2 feats.

And 21 skill points. And put an 18 int cha.

Really, how many resources does one have to spend before they deserve to be good at something?? ;)

adwyn

Community Supporter
Use the same modifiers as Bluff has for believability, and establish circumstance bonuses for certain stuations/occupations.

Remove ads