Discovery Trailer

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm making statements about my feelings on the matter. You feel the way that you do. Why cannot I be free to feel the way that I do?

You are free to do so. Nobody has suggested otherwise. Disagreement is not suppression.

Yeah, and if I'd listened to the criticisms of Mass Effect Andromeda, or let them colour my expectations, I'd have missed out on a game and story that kept me entertained for more hours than there are in any Star Trek season.

I think the focus on animation and graphics was misplaced. I played and had a lot of enjoyment. The good bits were solid.
But considering in the length of time I played through Andromeda I could have played through all three other ME games, if felt lacking. There was good stuff but oh so much padding. So much unecassary travel between planets...
It didn't even have a real end. Soooo many mysteries that will now never be resolved.

The development also sounded pretty unfortunate and messed up:
http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Water Bob

Adventurer
THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO is quite good and full of information about the new show.

It's 22 min. long, but I thought it was extremely informative.

I learned some things. Some good. Some bad. It did heighten my appetite for the show (though that clearly wasn't the intent). And, there are some interesting rumors in there, too.

Jhaelen

First Post
We'll see. I've just watched Star Trek Beyond this weekend. Oh my, what a rush that was. Non-stop action (most of it rather senseless) with just a few strategically placed breaks to catch your breath. And the story: Nothing much 'beyond' a hunt for a McGuffin. There really isn't a lot of 'Star Trek' left in the franchise. This was more like 'Indiana Jones in Space'.

Ryujin

Legend
We'll see. I've just watched Star Trek Beyond this weekend. Oh my, what a rush that was. Non-stop action (most of it rather senseless) with just a few strategically placed breaks to catch your breath. And the story: Nothing much 'beyond' a hunt for a McGuffin. There really isn't a lot of 'Star Trek' left in the franchise. This was more like 'Indiana Jones in Space'.

Given that it was directed by Justin Lin, I would say more "Fast and Furious" in space. I gave it a chance.

Hussar

Legend
Thing is, what do you mean by "not much Star Trek" left?

I mean, a LOT of Star Trek is very, very boring. People talking in boardrooms endlessly. It's not like TOS was low on action. There were action sequences in virtually every episode. Kirk had to get his shirt ripped somehow. :D Then you had ST:TMP, and it was a snooze fest. That was one long, boring movie.

Look at the Trek that gets held up as "really great Trek". Wrath of Khan - lots and lots of action. First Contact - battle sequences all over the place. Going with episodes, you have things like Amok Time and a pretty big chunk of action. Any of the TOS Borg episodes, like Best of Both Worlds. DS9 had tons of action sequences. It's not like Star Trek has been afraid of blowing stuff up. The only thing that held them back from blowing more stuff up was budget.

Sure, there's lots of thought provoking stuff too. Darmok and Jelad at Tenagra is absolutely one of my favorite episodes. But, expecting something like that in a big budget movie? Good luck. Producers get rather shirty when movies flop badly and they don't get paid.

MarkB

Legend
Thing is, what do you mean by "not much Star Trek" left?

That's what I was wondering. The whole point of Star Trek as an anthology show is that it gets to tackle different kinds of stories each week. One episode it's an action movie, the next it's a detective story, the one after that it's a romance or a straight-up comedy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder if we’ll see the Enterprise. This is 10 years before Kirk, so the USS Enterprise is already in service, isn’t it? Under Pike?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads