Discovery Trailer

Hussar

Legend
CBS Won't Allow Any Reviews of Star Trek: Discovery Before It Airs

http://io9.gizmodo.com/cbs-wont-allow-any-reviews-of-star-trek-discovery-befo-1809073782

That's... not a good sign.

I can see both sides here. Sure, early reviews are great for generating buzz. But, on the other hand, we're dealing with geek culture which seems to take a pretty perverse pleasure in ripping apart anything that doesn't fit their own, personal, narrow, but vaguely designed, view of what something "should" be.

And all that negative reaction isn't helpful. Letting people, as in everyone who wants to, see it first and then make a decision on their own instead of being met with a tidal wave of nerd rage over how they got vulcan ears wrong does make a certain amount of sense.

cmad1977

Hero
I can see both sides here. Sure, early reviews are great for generating buzz. But, on the other hand, we're dealing with geek culture which seems to take a pretty perverse pleasure in ripping apart anything that doesn't fit their own, personal, narrow, but vaguely designed, view of what something "should" be.

And all that negative reaction isn't helpful. Letting people, as in everyone who wants to, see it first and then make a decision on their own instead of being met with a tidal wave of nerd rage over how they got vulcan ears wrong does make a certain amount of sense.

It's not about the ears. It's the Rank insignias. All wrong. UNFORGIVABLY WRONG!! I'll nevar watch this travesty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t wait. Less than two weeks, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World
Off the top of my head, the 22nd. So a week and a day...

It's understandable if they are trying to use the show as a tentpole production with which to lure people into signing up for their streaming service, and don't want potential viewers to be swayed by potential bad or luke-warm reviews.

... especially if it sucks.
Which is the worry. Not letting reviews out suggests it's not good or outright bad. That they're hoping people will subscribe before the negative buzz gets out.
I was really hoping it'd surprise me with something awesome.

Not every reviewer is going to be a part of "geek culture" and subscribe to ripping apart fandom. They should - in theory - review it like everything else. Many might be unable to discern if the Vulcan ears are wrong or not.

Not having the professional reviews give their opinions means their reviews will be mixed with that of fandom's at the time of release. Bringing that nerd rage farther to the forefront.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not worried. I didn't much like the last two Trek TV iterations, and didn't like DS9 nearly as much as most people seemed to, so if it's not good, I don't feel like I'll be losing anything. I hope it's good, though; it would be nice to have some decent Trek on TV.

TNG started off terribly, but the TV show became my favourite Trek iteration (after the TOS movies, especially II-IV).

Hussar

Legend
/snip

Not every reviewer is going to be a part of "geek culture" and subscribe to ripping apart fandom. They should - in theory - review it like everything else. Many might be unable to discern if the Vulcan ears are wrong or not.

Not having the professional reviews give their opinions means their reviews will be mixed with that of fandom's at the time of release. Bringing that nerd rage farther to the forefront.

Should being the operative word here. But, the problem is, professional reviews get buried under the tsunami of nerd rage that sometimes follows geek culture. Look at Suicide Squad. If that wasn't named "Suicide Squad" and was just a movie (and not tied to DC universe) the level of kvetching would have been a lot lower. It was a fun action movie. Popcorn Saturday night viewing. Instead we see article after article on the net telling everyone how this movie is just the worst thing in the world.

Compare to the reaction to, say, the Fast and the Furious movies. Absolutely mindless action movies, that don't get anywhere near the level of nerd rage directed at them.

Should being the operative word here. But, the problem is, professional reviews get buried under the tsunami of nerd rage that sometimes follows geek culture. Look at Suicide Squad. If that wasn't named "Suicide Squad" and was just a movie (and not tied to DC universe) the level of kvetching would have been a lot lower. It was a fun action movie. Popcorn Saturday night viewing. Instead we see article after article on the net telling everyone how this movie is just the worst thing in the world.

Compare to the reaction to, say, the Fast and the Furious movies. Absolutely mindless action movies, that don't get anywhere near the level of nerd rage directed at them.
I think you overestimate the number of critics that are "nerds".
Really, most would be "film nerds" rather than any other type.

Suicide Squad was soooo bad. Bad in ways that even the Fast and the Furious movies are not. Without knowledge of the comics, and affection to the characters it would be unwatchable.
Bland action, limited humour, unlikable characters, poor plotting, bad SFX... There's just so few redeemable qualities. I have friends who almost walked out...

MarkB

Legend
Not getting reviewed in advance isn't exactly uncommon for TV shows. I can't actually think of a recent TV series for which I saw advance reviews.

Not getting reviewed in advance isn't exactly uncommon for TV shows. I can't actually think of a recent TV series for which I saw advance reviews.
Most TV series I'm aware of air a couple episodes for critics. I just read a review of the Orville based one one. And even Netflix tends to send critic review copies.
It's quite common to send reviews. That's how reviews appear in newspapers and online before the premier.

MarkB

Legend
It's quite common to send reviews. That's how reviews appear in newspapers and online before the premier.

Which is what I've come to expect for movies, but I haven't seen it very often for TV shows. Then again I am spoiler-wary, so maybe I just haven't been looking.

Remove ads