Discovery Trailer

Ryujin

Legend
It's the universe. How many stories are there in it? How many races? So far they haven't even checked out half the games in the playground, assuming just The Federation. Civilians? Merchant Marine? Vulcan science vessel? Andorian frigate? Orion crime syndicate? Fully military vessel? Mining colony? The ACTUAL founding of The Federation? Thirtieth century time enforcement? Political machinations at the heart of The Federation?

I'd still love to see a Section 31 series. I'm still sad they went with Enterprise rather than that.

I agree that something like Section 31 or the Timeships wouldn't work now. After the show has been off the air for a decade or so, they need to renew interest and reintroduce the series to people. Do something classic.

But I really hope Discovery does really well and they feel confident enough to continue or even try a spin-off or two. I'd love to be watching a couple Star Trek shows each week rather than DC heroes in the Arrowverse. (Seriously... the CW will have five of them this fall.)

However, since they seem intent on redesigning things, I wonder if the people in charge and producers are the people I want running Trek. And I wonder if this has anything to do with why Brian Fuller decided to jump ship and focus on other projects instead.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd want to see a post-Voyager show. I feel like the tech upgrades would make it no longer feel like Star Trek. Star Trek always had this slightly ponderous (in a good way) old fashioned naval feel to it.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Ryujin

Legend
I'm not sure I'd want to see a post-Voyager show. I feel like the tech upgrades would make it no longer feel like Star Trek. Star Trek always had this slightly ponderous (in a good way) old fashioned naval feel to it.

Yes, that show to far too many things "to eleven", and not in that good "Spinal Tap" way. Deus ex machina is a way of life in the Star Trek universe, but it felt like Voyager abused the privilege. Borg hardware tied to Federation hardware, with aspects of tech from a dozen other Gamma Quadrant races? I definitely like the naval aspects of the various Star Trek properties but, as i said elsewhere, I really like military SF.

Quickleaf

Legend
Fair enough. I really want to like this. It's just that the trailer leaves me kinda cold.

It left me cold too. If there's something I want a Star Trek series to showcase it's snappy witty interesting dialogue, a bit of campy humor, and some space action sequences. Instead, the trailer was all about this grim focus that just felt joyless. And while that works for some sci-fi series, "joyless" isn't a word I've ever associated with Star Trek.

Mallus

Legend
I was pretty down on Discovery after reading about Fuller's departure & the rest of the production difficulties. But I like the trailer quite a bit. It doesn't look like Star Trek in a good way (though it does look a tad Mass Effect), and the leads look good. Fingers crossed!

I enjoys like dead-on mimicry of TOS found in fan works like Star Trek Continues, but I want to see the new series bring something fresh to the Trek aesthetic. Which is why I was so jazzed by Bryan Fuller's involvement.

In the best of all possible worlds, Discovery will combine the different look/feel on display in the trailer with storytelling that's unmistakable Trek. I can hope, right?

Ryujin

Legend
It left me cold too. If there's something I want a Star Trek series to showcase it's snappy witty interesting dialogue, a bit of campy humor, and some space action sequences. Instead, the trailer was all about this grim focus that just felt joyless. And while that works for some sci-fi series, "joyless" isn't a word I've ever associated with Star Trek.

They live in a post consumerism virtual Utopia. I agree that "dark" certainly doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, I think [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] hit things on the head for me. When thinking about Star Trek, "joyless and dark" are not what I'm typically thinking. Good grief, do we really need another grim dark reboot? Can't we have at least one optimistic show?

Remove ads