• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion for a Kingdom of ashes

The_Universe

First Post
AIM-54 said:
I think it's a bit early to be declaring anyone queen or otherwise publicizing our opposition to the crown. Once we have a decent, functioning army of reasonably loyalty, backed up with a serious military victory (say the liberation of Oceanus...oooh, I like that...liberation...ahem), then we can think about overt political statements. For now I think our situation is too unstable.

Just my $0.02 (adjusted for inflation)

Jeremiah
This is a good point, but the only way to attract a functioning, reasonably loyal army may be to declare open rebellion. If people are going to stick their necks out, they need to be sticking their necks out for a reason.

See my responses above for some of the details on that...

AIM-54

First Post
The_Universe said:
This is a good point, but the only way to attract a functioning, reasonably loyal army may be to declare open rebellion. If people are going to stick their necks out, they need to be sticking their necks out for a reason.

See my responses above for some of the details on that...

Then we're going to have to come up with some pretty convincing evidence that the king is evil and that overthrowing him is in their interest. Last I knew (and there's lots going on that I'm only vaguely conscious of) we sure didn't have any of that. Selling the liberation of Oceanus is a hell of a lot easier and may allow us time to acquire concrete evidence of wrongdoing.

The_Universe

First Post
Community Details

New Oceanus

Population 13,470 (21% non-adults)

Racial Breakdown: High Alder 83%, Human 10%, Other (assorted) 7%.

Resource Limit: 15000 GP

Government: Duchy

Notable NPCs: Duke Nayen Greyclaw (True Alder); Major Gorak MacTarg (Orc); Watch

Commander James Gordon (Human)

Full time Guardsmen: 112 (City Watch), 600 (Army - 1.5 Companies).

Potential Militia: 561 (already trained in weapon use/basics), An additional 1067 are able bodied individuals without families to feed/care for.

Hyrwl

Population 996 (10% non-adults)

Racial Breakdown: High Alder 95%, Other (assorted) 5%.

Resource Limit: 800 GP

Government: Barony

Notable NPCs: Regent Relin Greyclaw (High Alder)

Full time Guardsmen: 11

Potential Militia: 45 (already trained in weapon use/basics), an additional 30 are able bodied individuals without families to feed/care for.

The_Universe

First Post
The 11 Guardsmen in Hyrwl, as well as the 112 members of the city watch are probably low-level Rangers. Mostly level 1, no more than level 2-3. The commanders/lieutenants will be of higher level.

The 600 in the army are all Warriors, with the exception of some of the officers, who have PC classes.

Corporals and Sergeants are Ftr (or ranger or paladin, depending) 1-2, Second Lieutenants are Ftr (or ranger or paladin) 2-3, First Lieutenants are Ftr (or ranger or paladin) 3-4, Captains are Ftr (you get the idea by now) 4-5. Brevet Commander MacTarg (who is normally a Major) is in command, and is an NPC, so you don't get to know his stats.

The 561 + 45 Militia are all level 1 Warriors. The remaining potential militia members are all level 1 Commoners. Depending on the quality and length of training, some of them might be able to be "upgraded" to level 1 warriors, as well.

The Army and City Watch all have weapons/equipment. Everyone else is unarmed/armored as of yet. Hope that helps with the force planning.

--Kennon

AIM-54

First Post
The last two posts make me happy.

I just wish I had more time to play with that stuff.

Stupid end of semester slave labor.

The_Universe

First Post
Well, I posted them specifically to make you smile. :)

Play with it when you get a chance. I'll see you in class tonight. The final paper is due friday, right?

On a gaming note, If indeed the majority of the Army of the Watch and the Army of Prydein have been sent North, by week 5, nearly 206,000 troops are marching through the deathlands, theoretically attacking the Bluestar's forces.

Other than Talons (which, in total, number around 50,000), there are two Royal Armies left south of the wall. The Army of the Eastern Realm seems to be gathering in and around Thanesport to protect the king. The Army of the Eastern Realm is mostly based out of Citadel Oneid, and if they have been similarly mustered, they'll probably be doing so at Citadel Oberos or Citadel Oneid. They each have 76,860 soldiers at full strength.

However, the company under Commander MacTarg is theoretically a part of the Army of Prydein, so you know that they are at least 600 men under strength. If any order has come asking him to muster troops and head north, he hasn't said anything.

Also, Korienne Palden (the half-orc that was hitting on Xath) is a Captain in the Royal Army. He has a single Company (240) of troops from the Army of the Eastern Realm under his command, as well. He's hanging around, but is not aware of the Edriss switcheroo (so far as I know). You'll have his men as long as 1) he doesn't figure anything out, or 2) you tell him the truth, and convince him to join your side.

ALSO also, I noticed an error in the ranks document. In the Falcon Kingdom, a Brigade is 3 Battalions, and a Battalion is 3 companies.

--KCB

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
Also, Korienne Palden (the half-orc that was hitting on Xath) is a Captain in the Royal Army. He has a single Company (240) of troops from the Army of the Eastern Realm under his command, as well. He's hanging around, but is not aware of the Edriss switcheroo (so far as I know). You'll have his men as long as 1) he doesn't figure anything out, or 2) you tell him the truth, and convince him to join your side.
I vote Xath to go talk to him, with justice holding Arhconus back --just in case :)

Laurel

First Post
I changed some stuff around that the Duke would have pointed out before, but the first part and how people responded stayed the same.
Try 2::

To whom it may concern:

It has no doubt reached your ears by now that the city of Oceanus has fallen to vast forces bearing the banner of the Bluestar. The Barony of Hyrwl has taken in all refugees with open arms, yet our limited resources have put a strain on maintaining such a large group. At last estimates, the Barony now supports upwards of thirteen thousand people. We request the aid of skilled artisans and any resources you may provide in order to adequately care for the subjects of the Kingdom.
The Barony of Hyrwl also writes with glad tidings. The heir of the Woodshadow has shown herself at last and has come to take control of her legacy. The Baroness L'Aurel Woodshadow now serves as ruler of the King's appointed Baron Edriss Kiva named her his successor. All High Alder of the Kingdom may rejoice, as they are forgiven, and free of the shame once put upon them. Indeed the Kingdom will rejoice at this news, despite the troubled times.
In response to the onslaught of the Kingdom, the Baroness Woodshadow has taken it upon herself to rally an army to take back the city of Oceanus and begin a warriors academy. These warriors will train all who wish to better defend their cities and homes form these invaders. Proclamations will be made shortly.
Signed in view of the Light, L'Aurel Woodshadow Baroness Hyrwl

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
AIM-54 said:
Then we're going to have to come up with some pretty convincing evidence that the king is evil and that overthrowing him is in their interest. Last I knew (and there's lots going on that I'm only vaguely conscious of) we sure didn't have any of that. Selling the liberation of Oceanus is a hell of a lot easier and may allow us time to acquire concrete evidence of wrongdoing.
Yep... king has been sneaky so it will be hard to get evidence until his plan -whatever it is- is complete. I only have assumtions they seem to be based on other assumtions, so I am no help with this one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads