• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion for a Kingdom of ashes

Laurel said:
--To keep inbox stuff low, I am answering this way :)
L'aurel is fine with the oath for community between us, but um... how do we make the oath-- should/do we specify a specific full name for each person? Basically, if we oath swear with Archonus, are we also oath swearing to Archonus Bluestar or just to Archonus Ar.. the one with us now?

We should probably use full names... there are no actual *words* that you say in the Quint. Paladin...
I don't exactly see it as something that tries to trick you when it comes to wording-- I guess, I could be totally wrong... but, in general, the oath swearing is not like wishing or asking commune questions.

It may be neat for each of us to write up our own version of the oath-- it will still have the same affects and effects-- but have us each personalize it a little bit.
Or, someone can write up a little diddy-- I certainly would not be opposed to writting it but, if someone else wants to, have at it-- and we can all swear it.

Look for follow up from Kennon as my word is not law... The Universe's is.

The_Universe

First Post
The Oath is two-sided. So, if L'Aurel swears an oath to Frarathir, and Frarathir doesn't swear one back, L'Aurel is not bound to aid Frarathir. The same goes for Archonus Bluestar. So, as long as the oath is mutual, it works. If it's not, it doesn't. This is why, earlier, several people noted that EVERYBODY needs to swear the oath.

What I think you guys are looking for here is someone to lay out the oath, like: "We shall aid each other in all times of need, til time itself winds down. We shall be like sword and shield for our common purpose. As long as life abides, I swear to be your ally" And then have everyone else chime in with a confirmation, a la Fellowship of the Ring (which was similar to an Oath of Questing), "You'll have my axe!" "My bow!" etc.

Does that make a little more sense now? The only person that the oath is really dangerous to is someone who breaks it...they REALLY get nailed with penalties. HARD.

Last edited:

The mutual-ness of the oath is why step on of the plan was:
Swear the oath or go your seperate way.

And, I still hold to that. If a member of the group refuses to swear, Justice would be incredibly skeptical and lose essentially all trust in that character... It is important to build ties between us other than the fact that we are fighting together...
I think that this is the first step in building those ties.

Xath

Moder-gator
T

The_Universe said:
What I think you guys are looking for here is someone to lay out the oath, like: "We shall aid each other in all times of need, til time itself winds down. We shall be like sword and shield for our common purpose. As long as life abides, I swear to be your ally" And then have everyone else chime in with a confirmation, a la Fellowship of the Ring (which was similar to an Oath of Questing), "You'll have my axe!" "My bow!" etc.

And my...biting social commentary!!

-Gertie

"...I'm a bard?..."

The_Universe

First Post
Some Possible Changes re: Stabilization

THIS IS NOT A PLOT POINT. THIS IS A RULES QUESTION.

In the past, I have been fairly generous with how we deal with stabilizing after losing consciousness from wounds of various types. The fortitude save DC 15 is pretty easy to hit, unless you're immediately dropped to almost dead in such an attack. In addition, I extend the range of "dead" to negative Constitution, rather than the flat negative 10.

Technically, you (and everyone else) are only supposed to have a flat 10% chance of stabilizing every round.

I want the next part of the game to be dangerous--mroe dangerous than it has in the past. Presumably, the increased unity on your parts will help mitigate the increased lethality I am about to propose. But, it's your game, too...so I want to know what you all think before I implement.

I see two possibilities. In both, I want to maintain the negative CON before death, rather than a flat negative 10.

1) we go back to the rules, and take away the fortitude save. You have a flat 10% chance of stabilizing every round, without aid. You die at negative CON.

OR

2) We keep the fortitude save, but increase the DC. The save to stabilize from a blow that knocks you unconscious is 10+damage dealt. Thus, if you have 11 hit points, and a draconid with a greatsword deals 14 points of damage, you'd lose consciousness (-3 HP). The Fort. Save DC for stabilizing without aid is 24 (10+14). This will reflect the fact that more greivous wounds are harder to recover from, but still allow your stats (and not just chance) effect how long and if you live. You would still die at negative CON.

Let me know.

The_Universe said:
I see two possibilities. In both, I want to maintain the negative CON before death, rather than a flat negative 10.

1) we go back to the rules, and take away the fortitude save. You have a flat 10% chance of stabilizing every round, without aid. You die at negative CON.

OR

2) We keep the fortitude save, but increase the DC. The save to stabilize from a blow that knocks you unconscious is 10+damage dealt. Thus, if you have 11 hit points, and a draconid with a greatsword deals 14 points of damage, you'd lose consciousness (-3 HP). The Fort. Save DC for stabilizing without aid is 24 (10+14). This will reflect the fact that more greivous wounds are harder to recover from, but still allow your stats (and not just chance) effect how long and if you live. You would still die at negative CON.

Let me know.

Actually, I think that I have changed my mind... I would prefer the 10% chance of stabilizing-- the opponents that we are starting to face can deal a whole lot of damage with one blow making the fort. save almost impossible in a lot of cases (ie, Edris' brutes did like 30 points of damage in one hit... fort. save would be 40... even with my awesome fort. save, I'm not so confident that I could do that).
With a flat 10% chance of stabilizing, at least there IS a chance.

Remove ads