Discussion for a Kingdom of ashes

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
"I might have an idea about that, though.... hmmmm. *puts on thinking cap*"

Do tell.... Also, I am not planning or not trying to at least, but just trying to make sure I actually know what L'aurel is supposed to know and what is public knowledge and such...
I'll let the players take care of the plan as of so far.

My idea involved a couple of Bracelets of Friendship, which it turns out are still too expensive. 19000GP a piece. Dammit. There goes that idea.

The Plan! (brought to you by Liz)

First Order of Business: Oath-taking.
The core group needs to swear an Oath of Alliance to each other.
If anyone refuses, at this point, I would say their character can go a seperate direction.

It is essential for us to have a *bond* outside of happening to fight together. This creates a "Circle of the Phoenix" inside the Army... we become the core of that Army.

Individual oaths, vows, and whatevers are completely optional and up to your character... but the Oath of Alliance is a necessity.

Second order of business: Gathering an army.

This is to be done through several means:
(1) A message is to be sent out to all high elves detailing The Woodshadows forgiveness... and asking them to come to our aid-- to fight for their dead hero's cause.

(2) A message of conditional amnesty is to be sent out to Bluemages.
In exchange for their service for an amount of time that is yet to be determined, we will offer some Bluemages (wizards) a pardon.

(3) Lord Miagee doesn't have very many fighters left... but, we send a call out to the ones that remain.

(4) If Arfin can swing it, and I hope he can, he sends a message to his Dwarven cousins explaining the nastiness that has befallen their race... and hopefully, they will come fight for us in order to get revenge.

(5) Any other marginalized peoples within Ares need to be contacted (the Rhynns, too).

(6) Fairithir and Arfin continue to train individuals as warriors. Justice would also be willing to help here... possibly pass along some Apectan teachings... have a few low level paladins around.

Third Order of Business: Protection!
Our camp and the entirety of Hyrwl is pretty open to attack.

I suggest that Tim's character start organizing a guard for protection of our camp...
This can be done through the warriors that he is training, our group, and any animal friends we happen to have...
But, it has to get done and quickly.

--What's the best way to contact Tim so I can let him in on this??

Fourth Order of Business: Team Sneak.

Though flying in on Thane, Justice has discovered that Syvatagor (sp?) is obviously not the ring leader in Oceanus. As such, we need to send in a covert operation to discover exactly who happens to be in charge.

That's where L'Aurel and Archon come into play. They are by far the sneakiest. (yes, they are very sneaky, sir).
They get into the city though an elaborate plan including lots of magic-- take a little look around... gather some information and head back to Hyrwl to fill us in on what's up.

Fifth Order of Business: Build an interconnected series of tunnels like the Viet Kong....

Well... not exactly...

But, we do need to gather small teams (say, between 10 and 15 people) to do a little guerilla work in Oceanus.

This is a VERY risky idea... but, one that Jeremiah, the military master, had brought up... and, so long as they are well organized (read: Gong Free) I feel that such attacks could be VERY useful.

Sixth Order of Business: Take Back Oceanus!!The actual plans for this are what I would consider "working plans"--they are not finished... and really, it's going to take a lot of work on everyone's behalf in order to make it a reality.

But, the take back of Oceanus will, quite possibly, be the most important thing we've done so far because:
(1) It will get us one of the spirit blades.
(2) If we have one of the spirit blades, the king's quest to have them all is (at least for a while) thwarted.
(3) We have a strong base of operations for the Army of the Phoenix.
(4) We are sitting at the front door to the Isle of Mourning... which is where we'll be headed once Oceanus is ours.

There is a lot more information that needs to be added... things that are being planned...

Banners

I have two different banners for the actual Army of the Phoenix in the making right now... (probably be done this weekend)

However, I would really appreciate it if each of you would make an individual banner for your character.

This will allow everyone to distinguish between each of the members of the core group when marching or in battle...
Creates an especially cool image when it comes to battle...
Arfin, leading his army of dwarves... his banner flying high as he slices into some undead minions...
L'Aurel, ahead of an army of high elves...

Etc etc etc...

So, put some thought into what your should look like... and start to make one if you have the time.
I am working on a banner for Jaine, as well... I have this incredible picture in my head... I just hope that I can translate it onto paper.

Whether or not your character is a military expert, at some point, you will probably be leading an army or group of some sort... (ie, Xath with a group of bards--inspiring courage and competence left and right)
An individual banner will make your group or army stand out amongst the ranks...

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Third Order of Business: Protection!
Our camp and the entirety of Hyrwl is pretty open to attack.

I suggest that Tim's character start organizing a guard for protection of our camp...
This can be done through the warriors that he is training, our group, and any animal friends we happen to have...
But, it has to get done and quickly.

--What's the best way to contact Tim so I can let him in on this??
You guys will also need to address physical security in some way. Are you building a wall, or extending the wall currently around Hyrwl? Do you have another idea for seperating the people from the various types of badness that may wish to get at them?

You guys have a good plan for taking the fight to the Draconids, but still seem fairly unprepared for the possibility that they may be bringing the fight to you. This kind of defense is expensive, and requires expertise that you may not have at your direct disposal. This is where Greg's ability to talk to other dwarven clanholds is going to be important. Even so, all of this stuff is going to take money.

Which brings me to the other thing that needs attention: You need money. How are you going to get it?

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
Which brings me to the other thing that needs attention: You need money. How are you going to get it?
Tim already talked about selling himself to the locals... can't we just take his money? Also, when we raid Oceanis we should steal from them. We can then sell out Arfin... no wait dwarf... Archonus?...

--by the way all of the above is said in for humor and laughter--

For puposes of raising it, what figure are we looking at needing?

The_Universe

First Post
Stealing from Oceanus is probably a good idea. Frarathir made 30 GP, and 2 venereal diseases by selling himself to the refugee and local populace. He also has a bruised pelvis, and several nasty itches.

You all have bounties that have no doubt increased, so you actually might make some money turning each other in.

As for a specific figure, I'm not sure--it sorta depends on what you want for physical defenses, and if/when you can attract artisans, etc.

Archon

First Post
bling bling

part of our amnesty deal to bluemages and other minority groups may include a "small donation" based on whatever they can afford.
mik aka "blingstnator"

The_Universe

First Post
Hmmm....Mik's proposed "Amnesty Tax" may not go over real well. You could get away with charging money for your burgeoning "Warrior's Academy," but charging people who are essentially coming to where you are to escape persecution is not something good (and especially not exalted) characters could or would do.

You can charge people for education (fighting lessons) but not for the privilege of dying for your cause.

Reminder--read the exalted document, if you're trying to go that route. It may be harder than you think.

However, some of the influx will undoubtedly have some sort of money or resources. If you can get it from them legitimately, you're golden.

Secondarily, if you can offer any soldiers you attract some type of reward, they're more likely to be loyal, and they are more likely to stay. Somebody look in the Arms and Equipment Guide. What's the going rate for mercenaries/soldiers?

Also, the costs for walls and other defensive constructions are presented in the Stronghold Builders Guide, which I have in paper, and at least one of you has in an electronic version. I suggest you give it a look. That's type of information you need to establish just how much money you'll need to gather. How still seems a little shaky.

Let me know if you have any questions or ideas.

Mass Combat rules for the campaign are in Malhavoc Press's 'Cry Havoc.' That should also give you an idea of how many soldiers you'll need to attract to push an army of thousands of relatively powerful creatures, many of which can be reused as undead shock troops, out of Oceanus. I'll give you a hint--it's a LOT. Not impossible, but you're not going to be able to gather them in a particularly short time, with only 17000 GP to support your rebel barony/kingdom.

Last edited:

Asking for donations may be something we should ask the Clerics about-- they, being members of the church, know a thing or two about tithes.

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
From Mik/Archon:
the Oath. who's taking it and who's opposed to it.
the way it works out is that for a 20% chance of undeath(the not so evil kind)and 300xp each we each know when any one of us is hurt and their general direction. by concetrating and making a wisdom check (DC 15) we know the state of a wounded companion as a status spell, plus when know their hit points and remaining uses of our special abilities, like turning undead or bardic music. plus we get a +7 bouns on Sense Motive checks amongst each other. we also get a +5 will save bonus against mind effecting magic that would set us against each other.
breaking an oath sucks for the oath breaker. trust me. so if you are going to swear the oath have no doubt in your mind.
status is in the PHB but here's the gist. we can keep track of each other even if we're seperated. no matter the distance. it tells us of any conditions effecting any one of us. examples, poisoned, dieased, stunned, dying, unconscious, confused....yeah you get the idea.
so yeah, who will swear the oath along with Justice and Archonus?
mik aka "Oathy McPeppersprayisstillinmyeyes!!"

--To keep inbox stuff low, I am answering this way :)
L'aurel is fine with the oath for community between us, but um... how do we make the oath-- should/do we specify a specific full name for each person? Basically, if we oath swear with Archonus, are we also oath swearing to Archonus Bluestar or just to Archonus Ar.. the one with us now?

Remove ads