• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion - General Discussion Thread '08

covaithe

Explorer
I read somewhere else that they found a bunch of bugs at the same time that the site designers got swamped with other work, so they took the countdown down. But I don't remember where I read that, unfortunately.

My email notifications aren't working, but the subscriptions page seems to work fine.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
covaithe said:
My email notifications aren't working, but the subscriptions page seems to work fine.
That's what I meant. =P

Anyway... rats. I was all excited about being able to put my character histories back online. =(

jcb2772

First Post
Hello I have a question?

I was told by my big brother to put this question here so don't yell at me yell at him.
Jerrand Redband--

I am in the process of making my first Living En World character - a dwarf sorcerer (I know cool right it gets better.) I have in his background that his great great great grandfather is an ogre mage making him only one eighth ogre mage I know but somehow he's getting most of the abilities.

My question: Would it be possible to take burning hands as one of my first level spells known and change the description from fire damage to cold damage giving him a minor cone of cold ability to go with his line.

Thanks remember yell at Jerrand

Wik

First Post
Well, swapping cold out for fire damage is minor, and we could probably swing that. As for the cone of cold bit, that's a bit more difficult.

Heckler

First Post
I like the idea of "customizing" sorcerer spells, but I think any changes made should be cosmetic only. That removes any question of balance from the issue.

Starting out, you have access to Ray of Frost , which you can use as your beginning Cone of Cold, until you advance to the point where you can use the real thing.

Now, there are two feats (Energy Substitution and Energy Manipulation, I think?), that you can use as you advance to create "Freezing Rays," "Coldbolts," "Coldballs," etc. until you get to CoC.

I like the character concept, though. Sounds like good stuff. :)

B4cchus

Explorer
Hi!

First off, I suggest you post a new proposal for the new spell (freezing hands or whatnot).
You do this by starting a new thread with the proposal category.
Second, the energy substitution feat is non-srd so it is not admissable.
You could, however, use the following ENworld specific feat:

Energy Manipulation [Metamagic]
Benefit: You can alter a spell so that it utilizes a different energy type from the one it normally uses. This ability can only alter a spell with the acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor. The spell level of an energy manipulated spell depends on the energy type being utilized.

Cold, Fire, Electricity, Acid Base spell level + 1 Sonic Base spell level + 2

If the original spell was not subject to spell resistance then the modified spell is also not subject to spell resistance.
Examples: Burning Hands (1st level [Fire]) changed to [Cold] is a 2nd level spell. Burning Hands changed to [Acid] is a second level spell, but is still subject to spell resistance. Burning Hands changed to Sonic is a 3rd level spell.
Acid Arrow (2nd level [Acid]) changed to [Fire] is a 3rd level spell. Acid Arrow changed to sonic is a 4rd level spell. All variations of Acid Arrow are not subject to spell resistance.
-Created by SlagMortar

jcb2772

First Post
Thanks

Thanks for all the feed back I'm going to start a new thread to discuss all these possibilities and maybe about adding a new line. Hope you come by and help out.

Wik

First Post
The cold substitution feat is a good place to start, but I also like the idea of simply just writing your own spell - freezing hands. It's essentially the same spell mechanically (since cold is pretty much just as easy to resist as fire), so it really just adds flavour. Plus, as a sorcerer, you're kind of nerfed using metamagic feats to begin with, so freezing hands would be a better use of your time.

Remove ads